Bike addiction?

So I searched around the Web about this, and it looks like this person can be suffering from compulsory hoarding. This is, basically, and addiction to collecting useless stuff in quantites that affect your quality of life (like filling your bath with rubbish so it casn't be used). Comparing with what some affected people do witht heir homes, hoarding bikes isn't even the worst, although I still hope that guy found help he need(s) (if it's still going on).

Yeah, that happens with a lot of different things, but bikes is more noticeable because they occupy a lot of space. A big waste if you ask me.

Big waste of his money (not to mention the bicycles), but at least they're not going to trash half his home, like a herd of rabbits or pigs - I've seen a documentary on this once, and one of people portrayed was a woman who basically turned her house into a piggery.

I wonder what the guy's family was thinking, and did to help him? It must have been rather hard not to notice something was wrong at the point he had over twenty bicycles and keept on buying new ones...

It might seem like a waste of money to some, me included but at the end of the day I guess if that's what the person is into, who are we to knock them? People collect and hoard alsorts of things, so I guess cycles could be just another hobby.

I prefer to ride my bikes though, not just sit and look at them, although I have to admit some of the older ones could almost be classed as works of art.

It would be cool if you enjoyed restoring old bikes and then put them up for sale. People buy classic bikes all the time and spend considerable money doing so. If I were to somehow have enough cash to buy 2,000 bikes, I would do so for that purpose alone, restoration and reselling. If there were a particular bike that I encountered that I absolutely had to have for myself, so be it, but nope, I don't have that kind of addiction where all 2,000 bikes would have to be stored in my home.

Well aren't addictions supposed to be rather unhealthy? This seems more beneficial than anything unless you're going to increase your chances of accidents or whatever.
I agree with you. Cycling is actually beneficial. I don't think that bike addiction is bad.

Well, if we see bike addiction as loving to ride yeah, but having 2000 bikes??

Agreed. Actually using the bikes and loving riding is one thing, collecting and storing them for no particular reason is an entirely different matter, and a somewhat unhealthier addiction.

Depending on the condition of the bikes, surely they'll be better given to people that would use them rather than just being left stood there?

Reactions: oportosanto
So true, eventually he has a stunning collection that could be worth quite a lot of money!

I love collecting all sorts of things big and small, cheap and luxury. I do feel guilty though when I spend exorbitantly on one seemingly unimportant thing. I think that guilt keeps a good balance when I tend to overspend but I am glad I never made more than a hundred pieces per collection.

Well, if we see bike addiction as loving to ride yeah, but having 2000 bikes??
Yes it does seem a bit excessive. I doubt he will have any time to ride them all so the obsession is about owning bicycles and not cycling.

I don't think that anyone will ever own that much bikes. It's kinda impossible to collect them unless you are a millionaire.
I think you would be surprised how easy it could actually be. He isn't collecting new bikes, he collects all manner of bikes.

I don't think it's a bike addiction. It's more of a hobby, really. Some people collect shoes, some people collect action figures, bikes are the same, especially vintage ones with historical value to them, and ones that have been signed and used by famous cyclists through history. I don't think it's unnatural, as you would have to have the money to spend all that on a hobby, and if he does, why is it a problem? It's his life, and we really shouldn't judge someone based solely on their hobby :)

They would probably not store it for the money. It's just the desire to collect and you can't see the money factor. The passion and the desire is the main thing.

Certainly not for the money, such a huge amount of bikes it's more likely a disease than anything else.

I don't think I am a bike addict. Well, most of the people are not bike addicts. If anyone collects some bike, you can't call him a bike addict. Passion and addiction are both different terms. If anyone collects 2000 bikes, it's just his passion and not his addiction. I also collect bikes and I have collected more than 20 bikes. I know it's not a huge collection but I do it because it's my passion.

I got one bike well oiled and serving well. I would buy another if the current one is gone. But, 2000 bikes that's something unheard of. I've, however, retained my tricycle bought my dad in my childhood.One that is akin to my profile pic. lol ;)