bike adjustment/belly

pam_in_sc

Jul 26, 2004
I've lost weight and gained muscle, but I'm still over 170 lbs at 5 ft. 6 in. I'm losing slowly and feel good about how I look. However, the way my bike is currently adjusted, when I move my hands to the most forward position on the brake levers up a hard hill, my thighs hit my belly with each rotation. It is just annoying, it doesn't interfere with my range of motion. My saddle is adusted fairly far back--my LBS said it was better for my legs to be more ahead of me. I could move it forward and raise it up a little and reduce the problem. Or is it better to stay with the position I am in?

Pam

pam_in_sc said:
I've lost weight and gained muscle, but I'm still over 170 lbs at 5 ft. 6 in. I'm losing slowly and feel good about how I look. However, the way my bike is currently adjusted, when I move my hands to the most forward position on the brake levers up a hard hill, my thighs hit my belly with each rotation. It is just annoying, it doesn't interfere with my range of motion. My saddle is adusted fairly far back--my LBS said it was better for my legs to be more ahead of me. I could move it forward and raise it up a little and reduce the problem. Or is it better to stay with the position I am in?

Pam
Hey Pam,

Wish I had some advice for you, I really just wanted to say GO GO GO! Good job! You and I are about the same build, I recently lost 25 lbs and am using cycling as one of my ways of maintaining/losing more. I'm more upright in my bike, so I don't have the same problem (but I do have the same belly, heh), but I personally would just endure the annoyance with the feeling that someday, it won't happen anymore... especially if your LBS recommended against moving the seat forward.

Anyway, just my $.015.

Jeannette