Bike Advice, Please

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by badsocref, Mar 9, 2015.

1. badsocref

badsocref New Member

Hi! I'm new to the list, and relatively new to cycling. I hadn't ridden much for about 30 years (since leaving Davis), but started again around 3 years ago. I've been commuting and doing a little weekend riding on a 90's era (I think) Specialized Crossroads. I ride 2000-2500 miles a year. I'm not one of those long, lean cyclists wearing the fancy jerseys and riding in packs. I'm just an average build (5'10", 190lbs) and feel fortunate to hold 13-15 mph on 30+ mile rides.

I think that I want to new bike to do more road work and some touring, and am looking for input. It would probably replace my existing (commuter) bike. I'm looking for function and comfort. I'm not sure what other questions I should be asking??? All I know is that I am moderately uncomfortable on long rides with my current bike (sore butt, lower back & numbness in left arm). Intend to do SFC in May, and some touring this summer, so have a couple of months to break something new (or used) in.

Please share your opinions. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tags:

2. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

A different saddle may help with the pain in the rear. As would a drop bar style bike that will take some percentage of your weight off your rear and carry it on your arms. Saddles that feel good can sometimes require that you try several before finding one that works.

The multiple grip positions offered by drop bars may help with your arm numbness or it may exacerbate the condition. A long test ride or two should be performed to see which way things go.

My advice is to stop by a couple of local shops and explain your current cycling and health/condition to them along with your desire to tour more and do longer rides. TREK offers drop bar bikes with a more upright riding posture and touring gear eyelets such as the Series One. They are not genuine tourers, but reasonably comfortable and adaptable to many types of riding. Most of the brand names have models that are slightly more of a road bike or touring bike than a hybrid style.

Lower back pain? Welcome to old age, my friend! Aspirin and training...aspirin and training!

3. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

A good chiropractor helps, too.

4. badsocref

badsocref New Member

The more I train, the more it hurts. I trained and rode 250 miles in a week last summer and got hemorrhoids. Something needs fixing. I don't know if it's the seat or the bike or just me. Either I reduce the pain or I won't be long for this sport (other than commuting to work).