Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Bike advice - upgrade or not

Started by peterwright · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,281 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
1 April 2006
Last activity
25 April 2006
Original author
peterwright
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,281
Views / 30 days
0
Topics
GT

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I could really so with some help..

    I am a roadie but am starting to enjoy some MTB riding and certainly intend do do some races as competitively as I can.

    I have a 1998 Trek 8500 hard tail that has always been a good bike but is a bit long in the tooth. I am considering upgrading to either a dual sus bike like a GT I drive (in my price bracket) or a newer hard tail. Alternatively I could just try and upgrade my current bike - the fork seems like the only area it is significantly behind the times as the frame is light and stiff and the XT/XTR mix is pretty good and solid.

    1. Is a bike like an I drive going to be a good upgrade for me ?

    2. Should I get a new hard tail like a GT Zaskar (I get very good prices on the GT bikes)

    3. Should I invest in a new fork or wheels for the 8500 or just sell it ?

    I live in CT and am not very techinically able but like to climb and need all the help I can get on the tricky stuff.

    Any help or advice really appreciated.

    Peter

  2. If you like your current hardtail, theres nothing wrong with new wheels and a fork. It will feel like a whole different bike, and likely ride better than it ever has. If you dont need FS, why bother going with it.

    I for one, won't buy GT anymore. Not only did they sell out, they sold out to PACIFIC. Ugh. I thought the aggrement was that GTs wouldnt be availble at the big box stores. Sports Authority has em down here. Makes me want to cry.

  3. Howzit,I went through a similar exercise about 2 years ago I had the trek 6000.

    At the end of the day upgrading the existing cycle did not make economic sense, so i perused the new bike option starting with hardtails, being cheaper than the full sus, but then the ridding i do and my riding status/master. Prompted me to look at full suspension, i considered the i-drive, and the giant and settled for the Scott genius’s.I climb the Tokai trail daily and i felt i needed a lockout option and i must say I’m pleased with the result. Scott have a couple of transition problems to sort out, Scott America now Scott Switzerland, otherwise they are not bad.

    [font=Times New Roman] [/font]

  4. I'd convert the old bike, unless you just want a new one. nothing wrong with that, unless money is short.

    I've always thought the GT frames looked a bit rigid. Not flexible enough. I could be wrong here.

    triguy98 said:

    If you like your current hardtail, theres nothing wrong with new wheels and a fork. It will feel like a whole different bike, and likely ride better than it ever has. If you dont need FS, why bother going with it.

    I for one, won't buy GT anymore. Not only did they sell out, they sold out to PACIFIC. Ugh. I thought the aggrement was that GTs wouldnt be availble at the big box stores. Sports Authority has em down here. Makes me want to cry.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.