Bike advice - upgrade or not

peterwright

Mar 5, 2003
I could really so with some help..

I am a roadie but am starting to enjoy some MTB riding and certainly intend do do some races as competitively as I can.

I have a 1998 Trek 8500 hard tail that has always been a good bike but is a bit long in the tooth. I am considering upgrading to either a dual sus bike like a GT I drive (in my price bracket) or a newer hard tail. Alternatively I could just try and upgrade my current bike - the fork seems like the only area it is significantly behind the times as the frame is light and stiff and the XT/XTR mix is pretty good and solid.

1. Is a bike like an I drive going to be a good upgrade for me ?

2. Should I get a new hard tail like a GT Zaskar (I get very good prices on the GT bikes)

3. Should I invest in a new fork or wheels for the 8500 or just sell it ?

I live in CT and am not very techinically able but like to climb and need all the help I can get on the tricky stuff.

Any help or advice really appreciated.

Peter

If you like your current hardtail, theres nothing wrong with new wheels and a fork. It will feel like a whole different bike, and likely ride better than it ever has. If you dont need FS, why bother going with it.

I for one, won't buy GT anymore. Not only did they sell out, they sold out to PACIFIC. Ugh. I thought the aggrement was that GTs wouldnt be availble at the big box stores. Sports Authority has em down here. Makes me want to cry.

Howzit,I went through a similar exercise about 2 years ago I had the trek 6000.

At the end of the day upgrading the existing cycle did not make economic sense, so i perused the new bike option starting with hardtails, being cheaper than the full sus, but then the ridding i do and my riding status/master. Prompted me to look at full suspension, i considered the i-drive, and the giant and settled for the Scott genius’s.I climb the Tokai trail daily and i felt i needed a lockout option and i must say I’m pleased with the result. Scott have a couple of transition problems to sort out, Scott America now Scott Switzerland, otherwise they are not bad.

I'd convert the old bike, unless you just want a new one. nothing wrong with that, unless money is short.

I've always thought the GT frames looked a bit rigid. Not flexible enough. I could be wrong here.

triguy98 said:
If you like your current hardtail, theres nothing wrong with new wheels and a fork. It will feel like a whole different bike, and likely ride better than it ever has. If you dont need FS, why bother going with it.

I for one, won't buy GT anymore. Not only did they sell out, they sold out to PACIFIC. Ugh. I thought the aggrement was that GTs wouldnt be availble at the big box stores. Sports Authority has em down here. Makes me want to cry.