Bike advice.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. In addition to building a recumbent and converting some of the bits left over to a fixed I've decide
    I can justify one more wedgie, at least to myself if not my partner or the bank balance.

    Firstly, I don't have a road racing bike. I don't race after all. But, I would like something for
    training rides that it a bit lighter and faster than my tourer.

    Secondly, although running is my main competitive activity I know a lot of du- and tri-athletes and
    one day I'm going to end up saying yes---and no doubt end up with wobbly legs.

    Thirdly, I have always fancied giving cyclocross a go. It's possibly an irrational urge but
    what the heck.

    Is there a single sensible (type of) bike that would have the potential, with switching of tyres or
    whatever, to fulfill all three roles? Or would I be more sensible just taking the rack and guards
    off my tourer and saving my money for something else?

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > In addition to building a recumbent and converting some of the bits left over to a fixed I've
    > decide I can justify one more wedgie, at least to myself if not my partner or the bank balance.

    [1-3 snipped]

    > Is there a single sensible (type of) bike that would have the potential, with switching of tyres
    > or whatever, to fulfill all three roles?

    The closest you'd get would be a 'cross bike, I'd think, but I'd be inclined to get a bike for what
    you *know* you'll do. "Well I'm bound to get around to it one day" is all very well, but if it's 3
    or 4 years before you get round to it then something better may well be available and/or for less,
    or they might have changed the rules or whatever. Or you might have changed your other parameters.

    > would I be more sensible just taking the rack and guards off my tourer and saving my money for
    > something else?

    You clearly want to go and spend some money on something... why not get really upright for not too
    much money and get a Muni? Not the most practical machine in the world it's true, but very good fun,
    and a real sense of achievement riding it half a km without a break!

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

    : The closest you'd get would be a 'cross bike, I'd think, but I'd be inclined to get a bike for
    : what you *know* you'll do.

    So sayeth a wise man.

    A cross bike is your only option for something that will do it all, but if you want something for
    tri/duo why not get a proper race bike? If you've got a MTB then a MTB with slicks makes a better
    cross bike than a cross bike with slicks makes a race bike if you see what I mean.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Techolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

    > Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : The closest you'd get would be a 'cross bike, I'd think, but I'd be inclined to get a bike for
    > : what you *know* you'll do.
    >
    > So sayeth a wise man.

    Yeah, but!

    > A cross bike is your only option for something that will do it all, but if you want something for
    > tri/duo why not get a proper race bike? If you've got a MTB then a MTB with slicks makes a better
    > cross bike than a cross bike with slicks makes a race bike if you see what I mean.

    I haven't got a MTB :-(

    Of course I could get more than one but I was just wondering if there was a single bike with that
    sort of flexibility. Looking at the price of even the cheapest cross bikes I suspect I could get a
    reasonable road bike and a fair MTB for the same sort of sum. At the moment I'm just fishing for
    excuses. I know that through the winter I am unlikely to use the tourer for touring and some bike to
    use at the weekends for something is what I'm after.

    Colin

  5. Colin Nelson

    Colin Nelson Guest

    > > Peter Clinch <[email protected]ndee.ac.uk> wrote:
    > >
    > > : The closest you'd get would be a 'cross bike, I'd think, but I'd be inclined to get a bike for
    > > : what you *know* you'll do.
    > >
    > > So sayeth a wise man.
    >
    > Yeah, but!

    Colin, check October issue of Cycling +, page 62 (and other articles) you might find "inspiration"
    in there. Colin N.