Bike age queston

Jeff C

Guest
Can someone tell me how old this mountain bike is?

http://tinyurl.com/6v3jn

My brother-in-law gave me one just like it (minus
some of the paint) and I wondered if it would be
suitable for trail riding after replacing tires
cables and chain.

Thanks,
=Jeff C

"Jeff C" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:XYZbd.2100$SW3.2016@fed1read01...
> Can someone tell me how old this mountain bike is?

Maybe '95 or a little older.

> http://tinyurl.com/6v3jn
>
> My brother-in-law gave me one just like it (minus
> some of the paint) and I wondered if it would be
> suitable for trail riding after replacing tires
> cables and chain.

The fork won't be much. Could require a 1" steerer which limits
your choice of modern forks. Might feel a bit choppered with a
modern fork too. If the fork isn't acceptable as is, might be
a good candidate for a rigid fork.

Looks like a practical bike though. It seems to have rack mounts.
Not too common on newer MTB frames.

David

David wrote:
> "Jeff C" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:XYZbd.2100$SW3.2016@fed1read01...
>
>>Can someone tell me how old this mountain bike is?

> Maybe '95 or a little older.
>

>>http://tinyurl.com/6v3jn
>>
>>My brother-in-law gave me one just like it (minus
>>some of the paint) and I wondered if it would be
>>suitable for trail riding after replacing tires
>>cables and chain.

> The fork won't be much. Could require a 1" steerer which limits
> your choice of modern forks. Might feel a bit choppered with a
> modern fork too. If the fork isn't acceptable as is, might be
> a good candidate for a rigid fork.
>
> Looks like a practical bike though. It seems to have rack mounts.
> Not too common on newer MTB frames.
>
> David

Those spoke reflectors aren't very strong, I don't bother to take them
off my son's bikes because they break off so fast.
That indicates to me that it probably was not ridden too hard.
If it fits, wear it.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply

Jeff C <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<XYZbd.2100$SW3.2016@fed1read01>...
> Can someone tell me how old this mountain bike is?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6v3jn

Take a hacksaw, cut a piece of the top tube off and then count the rings...

Or, contact the manufacturer and ask.

JD

"Jeff C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| Can someone tell me how old this mountain bike is?
|
| http://tinyurl.com/6v3jn
|
| My brother-in-law gave me one just like it (minus
| some of the paint) and I wondered if it would be
| suitable for trail riding after replacing tires
| cables and chain.

She's a mixed bag, for sure. Not surprising for a 10+ year old bike. The
threaded headset puts it prior to 1994 when the Stumpjumpers and the
Rockhopper Comp FS got threadless. The shock and STX parts are from a later
period, as this bike should have an LX 110/74 crankset. The shock is a bit
harder to place. It appears to be an adjustable air/oil (actually made by
RockShox) and has the later sliders (the earlier ones that I remember this
bike having were the "telescoping" slider type - go see the Cadex on my
website to see what I'm talking about.) The shock may be original, as they
were transitioning in that period and they may have come both ways.

To answer your main question - yes, this is a fantastic trail bike. I own a
94 Rockhopper Comp FS which has an identical CroMo frame (it was originally
full STX with a much cheaper fork.) Very trusty bike that I absolutely love
riding. It accepts modern parts with one little caveat; I had to come up
with a work-around for putting V brakes on the rear (despite the add-on
mounts, I'd say Disk brakes are out of the question.) If the cantis are in
good order, stick with them, though I used a horseshoe brake stiffener in
the back during my canti years.

Front shocks, due to geometry, is limited to about 80mm travel. I'm running
76 and it's perfect.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,