Bike battery charger

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by JožE Marolt, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. JožE Marolt

    JožE Marolt Guest

    Hello

    Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
    digital cameras is short lifetime of batteries. You always need a lot of spare bateries, a
    battery charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when you are at home or somewhere in urban
    places, but how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far away from
    cities? Has anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting to
    refill empty batteries yet?

    Best regards from Sovenia

    Joze Marolt Lightning P-38 Nikon CP5000

    Tags:

  2. "Joze Marolt" skrev ...
    > Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
    > digital cameras is short lifetime of batteries. You always need a lot of spare bateries, a
    > battery charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when you are at home or somewhere in urban
    > places, but how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far away from
    > cities? Has anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting to
    > refill empty batteries yet?

    http://www.mark-ju.net/bike_ride/equipment/charger.htm

    This looks pretty cool.

    Cheers from Denmark Mikael

  3. This same site you gave a link to also has a nifty 8 LED rear flasher that is Solar
    powered...complete with construction plans. A red PM eh

    > "Joze Marolt" skrev ...
    > > Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
    > > digital cameras is short lifetime of
    batteries.
    > > You always need a lot of spare bateries, a battery charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when
    > > you are at home or somewhere in urban places,
    but
    > > how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far
    away
    > > from cities? Has anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting
    > > to refill empty batteries yet?
    >
    > http://www.mark-ju.net/bike_ride/equipment/charger.htm
    >
    > This looks pretty cool.
    >
    > Cheers from Denmark Mikael

  4. "Joshua Goldberg" skrev...

    > A red PM eh

    That would be Anders "Ein Volk, Ein Führer... cept the 56% that does not support a non-UN sanctioned
    war" Fogh? Serves the little Blair-wannabee right if you ask me. ;-)

    And they sent a sub and a corvette. How much coastline issit Iraq has?

    And to our american friends... Hello! Those fries are still gonna kill ya whatever you call em. ;-)

    M.

  5. For about the same weight as a generator setup, you could get a solar charger that works whether you
    are pedaling or not. Batteries.com has one that weighs .28 pounds and will charge 4 AAs in "as
    little as 12 hours of direct sun" and costs 20 bucks.

    "Joze Marolt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello
    >
    > Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
    > digital cameras is short lifetime of batteries. You always need a lot of spare bateries, a battery
    > charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when you are at home or somewhere in urban places,
    but
    > how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far away from cities? Has
    > anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting to refill empty
    > batteries yet?
    >
    > Best regards from Sovenia
    >
    > Joze Marolt Lightning P-38 Nikon CP5000

  6. wow-12 hours of Direct Sun....been Winter so long I cannot remember what the Sun looks like. Don't
    remember ever having seen 12 hours of Direct Sun in one day.
    "Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For about the same weight as a generator setup, you could get a solar charger that works whether
    > you are pedaling or not. Batteries.com has one that weighs .28 pounds and will charge 4 AAs in "as
    > little as 12 hours of direct sun" and costs 20 bucks.
    >

    > "Joze Marolt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
    > > digital cameras is short lifetime of
    batteries.
    > > You always need a lot of spare bateries, a battery charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when
    > > you are at home or somewhere in urban places,
    > but
    > > how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far
    away
    > > from cities? Has anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting
    > > to refill empty batteries yet?
    > >
    > > Best regards from Sovenia
    > >
    > > Joze Marolt Lightning P-38 Nikon CP5000

  7. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    Mikael:

    Welches Land Sie Phasen innen?

    Derek

  8. Jay

    Jay Guest

    in article [email protected], Jože Marolt at [email protected] wrote on
    3/19/03 11:22 AM:

    > Hello
    >
    > Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
    > digital cameras is short lifetime of batteries. You always need a lot of spare bateries, a
    > battery charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when you are at home or somewhere in urban
    > places, but how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far away from
    > cities? Has anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting to
    > refill empty batteries yet?
    >
    > Best regards from Sovenia
    >
    > Joze Marolt Lightning P-38 Nikon CP5000

    I am also interested in details of people who set up generators and solar panels to charge any style
    of battery.

  9. "Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > For about the same weight as a generator setup, you could get a solar charger that works whether
    > you are pedaling or not. Batteries.com has one that weighs .28 pounds and will charge 4 AAs in "as
    > little as 12 hours of direct sun" and costs 20 bucks.

    Curious, I visited Batteries.com for a look, and found this charger described as being for NiCd AAs.
    Since I use NiMH in my Canon A40, I submitted a query to their Info Desk asking if this charger will
    do those too. Got a response this AM that it works with any nickel based AAs, so NiMH should
    recharge OK.

    OTOH, I already have a Rayovac PS1 charger ($10.99 at Walgreens), which appears to be about the same
    size and weight as the one illustrated, and having individual circuits for each battery, will charge
    1, 2, 3 or 4 batteries. And, per advice in an article I read at one of the digital camera review
    sites (probably Steves Digicams) I carry a set of Lithium AAs as backups for the NiMH. I'm new to
    digital photography, but have taken at least 200 photos in the past month on the initial charge of
    my NiMH AAs. Seems to me I wouldn't need a solar charger unless I was on a tour in excess of a
    month. On such tours I like to pamper myself with a motel stay every 5th day or so, and could do a
    NiMH recharge then, so I guess I won't be getting this solar charger.

    Pamela BikeE RX