Bike battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JožE Marolt

Hello

Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
digital cameras is short lifetime of batteries. You always need a lot of spare bateries, a
battery charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when you are at home or somewhere in urban
places, but how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far away from
cities? Has anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting to
refill empty batteries yet?

Best regards from Sovenia

Joze Marolt Lightning P-38 Nikon CP5000

"Joze Marolt" skrev ...
> Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
> digital cameras is short lifetime of batteries. You always need a lot of spare bateries, a
> battery charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when you are at home or somewhere in urban
> places, but how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far away from
> cities? Has anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting to
> refill empty batteries yet?

http://www.mark-ju.net/bike_ride/equipment/charger.htm

This looks pretty cool.

Cheers from Denmark Mikael

This same site you gave a link to also has a nifty 8 LED rear flasher that is Solar
powered...complete with construction plans. A red PM eh
----------------------------------------------------------
"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Joze Marolt" skrev ...
> > Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
> > digital cameras is short lifetime of
batteries.
> > You always need a lot of spare bateries, a battery charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when
> > you are at home or somewhere in urban places,
but
> > how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far
away
> > from cities? Has anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting
> > to refill empty batteries yet?
>
> http://www.mark-ju.net/bike_ride/equipment/charger.htm
>
> This looks pretty cool.
>
> Cheers from Denmark Mikael

"Joshua Goldberg" skrev...

> A red PM eh

That would be Anders "Ein Volk, Ein Führer... cept the 56% that does not support a non-UN sanctioned
war" Fogh? Serves the little Blair-wannabee right if you ask me. ;-)

And they sent a sub and a corvette. How much coastline issit Iraq has?

And to our american friends... Hello! Those fries are still gonna kill ya whatever you call em. ;-)

M.

For about the same weight as a generator setup, you could get a solar charger that works whether you
are pedaling or not. Batteries.com has one that weighs .28 pounds and will charge 4 AAs in "as
little as 12 hours of direct sun" and costs 20 bucks.

"Joze Marolt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello
>
> Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
> digital cameras is short lifetime of batteries. You always need a lot of spare bateries, a battery
> charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when you are at home or somewhere in urban places,
but
> how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far away from cities? Has
> anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting to refill empty
> batteries yet?
>
> Best regards from Sovenia
>
> Joze Marolt Lightning P-38 Nikon CP5000
>
>

wow-12 hours of Direct Sun....been Winter so long I cannot remember what the Sun looks like. Don't
remember ever having seen 12 hours of Direct Sun in one day.
----------------------------------------------------------
"Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For about the same weight as a generator setup, you could get a solar charger that works whether
> you are pedaling or not. Batteries.com has one that weighs .28 pounds and will charge 4 AAs in "as
> little as 12 hours of direct sun" and costs 20 bucks.
>
>
> "Joze Marolt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hello
> >
> > Many of recumbent fans are good photographer, using a film or digital camera. The problem of all
> > digital cameras is short lifetime of
batteries.
> > You always need a lot of spare bateries, a battery charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when
> > you are at home or somewhere in urban places,
> but
> > how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far
away
> > from cities? Has anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting
> > to refill empty batteries yet?
> >
> > Best regards from Sovenia
> >
> > Joze Marolt Lightning P-38 Nikon CP5000
> >
> >
> >
> >
>

in article [email protected], Jože Marolt at [email protected] wrote on
3/19/03 11:22 AM:

> Hello
>
> digital cameras is short lifetime of batteries. You always need a lot of spare bateries, a
> battery charger or an ac/dc adapter. No problem, when you are at home or somewhere in urban
> places, but how to charge batteries in wilderness, biking miles or kilometres far away from
> cities? Has anyone invented a battery charger, using dynamo 6V dc current for bike lighting to
> refill empty batteries yet?
>
> Best regards from Sovenia
>
> Joze Marolt Lightning P-38 Nikon CP5000

I am also interested in details of people who set up generators and solar panels to charge any style
of battery.

"Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> For about the same weight as a generator setup, you could get a solar charger that works whether
> you are pedaling or not. Batteries.com has one that weighs .28 pounds and will charge 4 AAs in "as
> little as 12 hours of direct sun" and costs 20 bucks.
>
Curious, I visited Batteries.com for a look, and found this charger described as being for NiCd AAs.
Since I use NiMH in my Canon A40, I submitted a query to their Info Desk asking if this charger will
do those too. Got a response this AM that it works with any nickel based AAs, so NiMH should
recharge OK.

OTOH, I already have a Rayovac PS1 charger ($10.99 at Walgreens), which appears to be about the same
size and weight as the one illustrated, and having individual circuits for each battery, will charge
1, 2, 3 or 4 batteries. And, per advice in an article I read at one of the digital camera review
sites (probably Steves Digicams) I carry a set of Lithium AAs as backups for the NiMH. I'm new to
digital photography, but have taken at least 200 photos in the past month on the initial charge of
my NiMH AAs. Seems to me I wouldn't need a solar charger unless I was on a tour in excess of a
month. On such tours I like to pamper myself with a motel stay every 5th day or so, and could do a
NiMH recharge then, so I guess I won't be getting this solar charger.

Pamela BikeE RX

Status
Not open for further replies.