Bike Biz: Wheel ejection theory goes legal

Paul Boyd wrote:
> On 06/02/2007 18:40, wafflycat said,
>> http://www.bikebiz.com/Wheel-ejection-theory-goes-legal

> Well, having just faffed about taking a so-called quick-release wheel
> out to change the pads, I can only assume that the claimant didn't
> have those bloody lawyer-lips that make a joke of quick-release!
>
> But at least my wheel can't eject :)

I can't remember for certain, but I've a feeling they were present in the
case under litigation.

Paul Boyd wrote:
> On 06/02/2007 18:40, wafflycat said,
>> http://www.bikebiz.com/Wheel-ejection-theory-goes-legal

> Well, having just faffed about taking a so-called quick-release wheel
> out to change the pads, I can only assume that the claimant didn't
> have those bloody lawyer-lips that make a joke of quick-release!
>
> But at least my wheel can't eject :)

I suggest a trip round the archives and read the Annan theory.

You'll probably trip over a case very similar to that described in bikebiz
in the archives.

I don't think this problem its quite as simple as just having lawyer-lips on
fork ends. Those were designed to stop a wheel falling out, not one being
forced out by the full power of the braking system.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 18:40, wafflycat
[w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com] wrote in message
<[email protected]>

> http://www.bikebiz.com/Wheel-ejection-theory-goes-legal

As I see it, with the callipers behind the forks the wheel attempts to pivot
around the brake pads which pops the wheel out of the dropouts. With the
calliper in front of the forks wouldn't the wheel be forced *into* the
dropouts?

If so, why aren't callipers placed in front of the forks? All the images I
see are of callipers behind the forks. Is there some structural reason for
this?

On 2007-02-06, PDannyD <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 18:40, wafflycat
> [w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com] wrote in message
><[email protected]>
>
>> http://www.bikebiz.com/Wheel-ejection-theory-goes-legal

> As I see it, with the callipers behind the forks the wheel attempts to pivot
> around the brake pads which pops the wheel out of the dropouts. With the
> calliper in front of the forks wouldn't the wheel be forced *into* the
> dropouts?
>
> If so, why aren't callipers placed in front of the forks? All the images I
> see are of callipers behind the forks. Is there some structural reason for
> this?

One idea is that it would put the caliper mounts in tensile loading in
which they would fatigue rapidly and/or need beefing up.

See

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/542b52acd54bb974?hl=en&

and following discussion.

PDannyD wrote:

> If so, why aren't callipers placed in front of the forks? All the images I
> see are of callipers behind the forks. Is there some structural reason for
> this?

No reason why they can't be, the Cotic RoadRat has them.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/roadrat.html

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Hackers make toys. Crackers break them. (Peter Seebach)

On Feb 6, 8:55 pm, PDannyD <[email protected]>
wrote:
> If so, why aren't callipers placed in front of the forks? All the images I
> see are of callipers behind the forks. Is there some structural reason for
> this?

Maybe this is why some superstores allow bikes to be taken home with
the forks on back to front....

peter

On Feb 6, 6:40 pm, "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
> http://www.bikebiz.com/Wheel-ejection-theory-goes-legal

Backtracking through the links on the site, I got to James Annan's web
page about the issue and he mentions how braking can cause the QR to
loosen.

This is interesting because last night my steering went heavy while
riding and after several stops I found the cause was a wobbling front
wheel - not caused by the cones coming loose but because the QR was
slightly loose. Opened it, tightened it by 180 degress and steering
was fine again. Initially I thought it was due to the very cold
weather (somehow) or someone had tried pinching the wheel earlier but
gave up after seeing it was locked up. Maybe I'll swap back to my V
brakes....

peter

Mike Causer wrote on 06/02/2007 19:52 +0100:
> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:40:59 +0000, wafflycat wrote:
>
>> http://www.bikebiz.com/Wheel-ejection-theory-goes-legal

> Ummmmm. So who's going to announce this on r.b.t?

Interesting that the US Courts threw it out and it still has to go in
front of a UK Court with, it would appear, many of the engineer
supporters of the theory unwilling so far to testify. So I would leave
the champagne corks in for the moment and see how it unfolds.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 21:45, Ben C [[email protected]] wrote in
message <[email protected]>

> On 2007-02-06, PDannyD <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 18:40, wafflycat
>> [w*a*ff??y??cat*@??btco*nn??ect.com] wrote in message
>><[email protected]>
>>
>>> http://www.bikebiz.com/Wheel-ejection-theory-goes-legal

>> As I see it, with the callipers behind the forks the wheel attempts to
>> pivot around the brake pads which pops the wheel out of the dropouts.
>> With the calliper in front of the forks wouldn't the wheel be forced
>> *into* the dropouts?
>>
>> If so, why aren't callipers placed in front of the forks? All the images
>> I see are of callipers behind the forks. Is there some structural reason
>> for this?

> One idea is that it would put the caliper mounts in tensile loading in
> which they would fatigue rapidly and/or need beefing up.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/542b52acd54bb974?hl=en&

"...but that leads to a much more serious concern - cast aluminum/magnesium
fork sliders are not good in tensile fatigue. having the calipers on
the front means the worst possible situation for the caliper mounting tabs."

Structural then. I did wonder. Thanks, I can sleep now. :)

In news:45c8f185.0@entanet,
PDannyD <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

> If so, why aren't callipers placed in front of the forks? All the
> images I see are of callipers behind the forks. Is there some
> structural reason for this?

One of my bikes /has/ got the caliper in front of the RH fork blade. Not
only does this avoid any potential promble of wheel ejection, it makes it a
bloody sight easier to fit mudguards. The downsides being:

o if you use a four-pot brake with assymetrice pistons, the larger piston is
now the trailing one
o if you use a SON hub, it's now the wrong way round

Neither of these has proved to be a problems in RL.

--
Dave Larrington
Never give a gun to ducks.

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 20:55:39 +0000, PDannyD wrote:
> As I see it, with the callipers behind the forks the wheel attempts to pivot
> around the brake pads which pops the wheel out of the dropouts. With the
> calliper in front of the forks wouldn't the wheel be forced *into* the
> dropouts?
>
> If so, why aren't callipers placed in front of the forks? All the images I
> see are of callipers behind the forks. Is there some structural reason for
> this?

Side-pull cable operated callipers? I've only ever seen these in front of the
forks ... hmmm 10+ years ago :/

--
Stephen Patterson :: [email protected] :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: [email protected]