Bike Box advice

Nogsby

Jan 24, 2011
Last year a friend and I flew our bikes over to France for a couple of weeks cycling. A lesson I learnt is that no matter how much padding you use, a cardboard bike box isnt going to be sufficient protection against baggage handlers!

This year I have a similar plan, flying to Toulouse in July and hoping to catch a couple of the Tour stages at the same time. I want to take a bike box similar to this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-elsted-bike-box/, my only problem is what to do with it when I get there. I'll be cycling every day, mostly sleeping outside so I wont have a base to keep it at. Anyone know of any services or bikeshops in Toulouse where I could store the box for a few weeks?

And if anyone else has a similar plan it'd be great to meet up with someone for a bit!

I've had good luck stuffing my cycling clothes and shoes around the frame and bike in boxes before, but it's a lottery. Make sure to take a look in the box as soon as you get it at the airport, so you can make a damage claim right away.

In terms of bike box storage, try emailing some cycling clubs in the area. I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to find some fellow cyclists willing to help out.

Have a great trip! :)

ps. the wiggle link doesn't work for me, but you could also go to your LBS and ask for a cardboard box and use that instead. If the baggage handlers beat it up, it will be very obvious right away. And therefore incentive for them not to beat it up (hopefully)

The reusable fiber boxes are probably the best way to go. I have heard that the airports will store the empty box, but I have not verified this. It can be a major inconvenience to take a bike box away from the airport by public transportation, as they are pretty unwieldy, and can be heavy, depending on how much gear, etc. is packed in with the bike. I had a terrible time in Paris (using a cardboard bike box from the LBS. The box was great; getting it from A to B was awful).
On the other end of the scale, there was another bicycle tourist with a mountain style touring bike at the Frankfurt airport who just used the clear plastic bike bag that the airports offer for free, plus a couple of bungee cords and some duct tape, and shipped his bike with zero protection. He had been using this method for years without any problems. I guess if something looks vulnerable, the handlers become very careful with it. Absolutely minimum hassle!
I personally would never try this, nor recommend it. I have no doubt that my sweet bike would not be handled lovingly, but would be run through one of the airport's crushing machines.
Btw, there are videos on Youtube showing how to pack a bike for international travel.

Go dumpster diving at your LBS. You will find all kinds of packaging material the manufactures use to ship bikes from China. Pack your bike up nice and snug and ship it to your destination using UPS or some freight carrier. I would at least think that you would stay in a hotel when you first arrive at your destination. Have your bike shipped there.