bike box

irishdave

Feb 14, 2006
im sure it has been asked by many but just looking for reports on the best bike boxes available.

scicon is unavailable anywhere by the sounds of it, it is sold out in most places and i do need to get in within a week in ireland so my only options are the elite which i have not heard good things about!!!!???
OR the monoc airtravel case black one that comes with tool pouch, wheel bags and internal padding etc etc.

any advice / stories of woe greatfully recieved
cheers
dave

irishdave said:
im sure it has been asked by many but just looking for reports on the best bike boxes available.

scicon is unavailable anywhere by the sounds of it, it is sold out in most places and i do need to get in within a week in ireland so my only options are the elite which i have not heard good things about!!!!???
OR the monoc airtravel case black one that comes with tool pouch, wheel bags and internal padding etc etc.

any advice / stories of woe greatfully recieved
cheers
dave

Welcome Dave : just down the road from you in Limerick (I'm originally from Dublin).

I bought a cycling case last year - STIF - and it was fine.
It had internal padding - very robust - and very light.
It cost me €200.00.
I brought my bike to Sicily - bike was in perfect nick.
(there was even enough room to pack away all my cycling gear too).

Tell me where you're based and I can recommend some retailers.

great stuff
im in dublin myself

i ve looked in the regular shops in dublin and they have the ones listed above available!!
cheers

see ye up the road.

irishdave said:
great stuff
im in dublin myself

i ve looked in the regular shops in dublin and they have the ones listed above available!!
cheers

see ye up the road.

Try Cyclogical on Batchelors Walk - they stock cycling cases.

Are you northside or southside?

they do the elite case i ve been in with them, it looks a bit flimsy very little padding within it.

im on the northside but i ve been out to cyclesuperstore in tallaght too.

irishdave said:
they do the elite case i ve been in with them, it looks a bit flimsy very little padding within it.

im on the northside but i ve been out to cyclesuperstore in tallaght too.

The CycleSuperStore at the Square is a bit pricey.

I can recommend Joe Daly's in Dundrum (on the Luas line) beside the new Dundrum SC.

They're very well equiped and very helpful too.

Funny you post this now as I'm moving to Paris on Saturday and had been mulling over my choices this winter. I settled on the Serfas Bike Armor case. It is sturdy, wheeled, and very roomy (I fit my bike, wheels, all my tools, and cycling cliothes and shoes). It was around $350 and meets all airline and shipping regulations. It's 48"x30"x10" and weighs in at 54lbs fully loaded. Check out this thread on the WW board for a full discussion of case choices: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10988

Good luck!