Bike Bra for Bent

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill G

Anyone ever seen a cover for a bent like the ones for DF's that protect 'em from bugs, etc., when
carried on top of a car? Besides bugs, I've had two birds hit my bike in the past few weeks. One did
a header into the front brake. What a mess. The other hit the top of the carbon seat but then I went
through some rain so at least it washed off some by the time I got home. thanks, bill g

--
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without
Cling Free.

"bill g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Anyone ever seen a cover for a bent like the ones for DF's that protect 'em from bugs, etc., when
> carried on top of a car? Besides bugs, I've had two birds hit my bike in the past few weeks. One
> did a header into the front brake. What a mess. The other hit the top of the carbon seat but then
> I went through some rain so at least it washed off some by the time I got home.

<joke> Let me guess - your car looks a lot like birdseeds? </joke>

I'm not aware of DF or 'bent bra's, sorry.

Torben

Well I tell you it had some post-consumer seeds on it from the one that hit the brake. Bleh. The
other one I heard and, from my rear view mirror, saw parts descending. It was a little "cleaner"
shot. I figured it was a long shot for a bent bra as most folks probably don't carry them on top of
the car. I ordered a mtb one on sale today that'll give me something to start with. bill g

Torben Scheel wrote:

> "bill g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Anyone ever seen a cover for a bent like the ones for DF's that protect 'em from bugs, etc.,
> > when carried on top of a car? Besides bugs, I've had two birds hit my bike in the past few
> > weeks. One did a header into the front brake. What a mess. The other hit the top of the carbon
> > seat but then I went through some rain so at least it washed off some by the time I got home.
>
> <joke> Let me guess - your car looks a lot like birdseeds? </joke>
>
> I'm not aware of DF or 'bent bra's, sorry.
>
> Torben

--
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without
Cling Free.

Putting an air foil on the front of your rack if you don't have one may help. It directs the air
flow upward which may push the birds over your bike.

"bill g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Anyone ever seen a cover for a bent like the ones for DF's that protect 'em from bugs, etc., when
> carried on top of a car? Besides bugs, I've had two birds hit my bike in the past few weeks. One
> did a header into the front brake. What a mess. The other hit the top of the carbon seat but then
> I went through some rain so at least it washed off some by the time I got home. thanks, bill g
>
> --
> His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without
> Cling Free.

Originally posted by Bill G
Anyone ever seen a cover for a bent like the ones for DF's that protect 'em from bugs, etc., when
carried on top of a car? Besides bugs, I've had two birds hit my bike in the past few weeks.

This won't help with the bugs, but it will repel the birds, or rather they will avoid your vehicle. Attach a sturdy statue of a raptor with its wings extended on the part of the bike that is nearest the front of your vehicle. Birds will start to notice that there is something on top of your vehicle that they do not like and will steer clear. Be sure not to use too large of a wing span, as you may become airborne at speed.

Good luck!

Sorry to be glib - I couldn't resist...

PB, You know that was something I thought about. Maybe like those bird things I've seen floating
above folks bikes on rides like RAGBRAI. But it probably wouldn't last long on the highway. I also
thought about maybe a decal for the wind deflector thing on the rack bill g

PreciousBbird wrote:

>
> This won't help with the bugs, but it will repel the birds, or rather they will avoid your
> vehicle. Attach a sturdy statue of a raptor with its wings extended on the part of the bike that
> is nearest the front of your vehicle. Birds will start to notice that there is something on top of
> your vehicle that they do not like and will steer clear. Be sure not to use too large of a wing
> span, as you may become airborne at speed.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Sorry to be glib - I couldn't resist...
>
> --
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

--
Cling Free.

Bill, I believe it's SOP to take the seat and/or fairing off a bent before mounting to a roof rack
(see article in this month's RCN). There is a lot of wind loading against the seatback, even with a
mesh seat. "bill g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I went through some rain so at least it washed off some by the time I got home. thanks, bill g
>
> --
> His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without
> Cling Free.

harv, If it was my 'Rex I'd take the seat off. The M5 on the Aero is much narrower and the
bike looks stable, doesn't wobble when I'm at highway speeds when I've checked it via the sun
roof. bill g

harv wrote:

> Bill, I believe it's SOP to take the seat and/or fairing off a bent before mounting to a roof rack
> (see article in this month's RCN). There is a lot of wind loading against the seatback, even with
> a mesh seat. "bill g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Anyone ever seen a cover for a bent like the ones for DF's that protect 'em from bugs, etc.,
> > when carried on top of a car? Besides bugs, I've had two birds hit my bike in the past few
> > weeks. One did a header into the front brake. What a mess. The other hit the top of the carbon
> > seat but then I went through some rain so at least it washed off some by the time I got home.
> > thanks, bill g
> >
> > --
> > His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer
> > without Cling Free.
> >
> >

--
Cling Free.

Status
Not open for further replies.