Bike Buddy

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just zis Guy, you know?, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. Today I are been mainly being a Bike Buddy. Dan at work decided to
    try cycling home form the office, on a borrowed 18-speed el-cheapo
    mountain bike (think steel wheels). I did some basic adjustments (and
    wished I had an oil can), put some wind in the tyres and off we set.

    Despite being offered the excellent services of Messrs. First Great
    Western at every station, he persisted and rode the whole distance,
    just short of 25 miles, wich I think is a fantastic achievement for
    someone who hasn't even ridden a bike for 15 years. To be honest, if
    I'd been him I'd have got on the train at Goring and Streatley;
    tackling that last section to Reading shows serious commitment. Time
    door to door was about two hours, and it normally takes me 1:20, so
    that's pretty respectable in my book.

    He resorted to the 24" gear only once, for a couple of hundred yards
    on the steepest bit of the hill out of Goring, which is no disgrace
    and definitely smarter than trying to pedal up when you've run out of
    gears.

    No bike shorts, though, so I bet his arse will be sore tomorrow...

    At least I was able to save him a ride to Homebase by fishing some
    olives out of my plumbing box (and of course put some oil on his poor
    protesting chain at the same time).

    So, Kudos to Dan, and may it not put him off having another go. I've
    suggested mixed-mode, bike to Reading Station (he lives in Wokingham).
    If anyone knows a low-traffic route I'd appreciate it.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  2. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > Today I are been mainly being a Bike Buddy. Dan at work decided to
    > try cycling home form the office, on a borrowed 18-speed el-cheapo
    > mountain bike (think steel wheels). I did some basic adjustments (and
    > wished I had an oil can), put some wind in the tyres and off we set.
    >
    > Despite being offered the excellent services of Messrs. First Great
    > Western at every station, he persisted and rode the whole distance,
    > just short of 25 miles, wich I think is a fantastic achievement for
    > someone who hasn't even ridden a bike for 15 years.

    Maybe a coincidence, but I was doing the same today.

    It is extremely satisfying to see someone achieve a goal in cycling
    first hand, and hats off to Dan for having a go and to Guy for
    encouraging him.

    Today I 'bike-buddied' a chap from a care home to his work place 5 miles
    away. What is remarkable is that when I first met him three weeks ago he
    couldn't ride a bike and lacked any confidence to ride in traffic. He
    was shaking at the prospect.
    The challenge was to train a complete non-rider to cycle to work.

    After an hour of basic skills on a community centre car-park, followed
    by some quiet residential roads, he was introduced to roundabouts and
    HGVs just a week ago.
    Today I led him a route into the centre of Southampton which included
    some typical busy multi-laned junctions, and I let him lead the return.
    The smile on his face when he told his friends what he had done was tremendous.

    He is to do the ride himself later this week - I believe he will.

    Acting as a bike buddy (although I hate the term) is one of the best
    ways to get people out on two wheels.

    if you read this Richard - you were brilliant. Well done.

    John

  3. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:51:27 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in
    message <[email protected]>:

    >After an hour of basic skills on a community centre car-park, followed
    >by some quiet residential roads, he was introduced to roundabouts and
    >HGVs just a week ago.
    >Today I led him a route into the centre of Southampton which included
    >some typical busy multi-laned junctions, and I let him lead the return.
    >The smile on his face when he told his friends what he had done was tremendous.

    Superb!

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  4. David Waters

    David Waters Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:51:27 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message <[email protected]>:
    >

    >>After an hour of basic skills on a community centre car-park, followed
    >>by some quiet residential roads, he was introduced to roundabouts and
    >>HGVs just a week ago.
    >>Today I led him a route into the centre of Southampton which included
    >>some typical busy multi-laned junctions, and I let him lead the return.
    >>The smile on his face when he told his friends what he had done was tremendous.

    > Superb!
    >
    > Guy
    > --
    > May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    > http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
    >
    > 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

    I managed to get my flatmate who has not ridden a bike for 10 years and
    whose previous longest distance was about 8 miles to Whalley Bridge and
    back from Manchester city centre. This included two or three bastard
    size hills so the guy done good. He was on my mtb with slicks which
    climbs like a beast which helped somewhat, and he often resorted to
    using the easiest gear and just spinning up at about 2mph. At the end of
    the day he managed around 35miles which is a pretty good effort. He
    didnt stop complaining about his saddle sores though! :)

  5. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "David Waters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I managed to get my flatmate who has not ridden a bike for 10 years and
    > whose previous longest distance was about 8 miles to Whalley Bridge and
    > back from Manchester city centre. This included two or three bastard
    > size hills so the guy done good. He was on my mtb with slicks which
    > climbs like a beast which helped somewhat, and he often resorted to
    > using the easiest gear and just spinning up at about 2mph. At the end of
    > the day he managed around 35miles which is a pretty good effort. He
    > didnt stop complaining about his saddle sores though! :)

    Next step, take him on a track taster session!

    cheers,
    clive