Bike Build-Up Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RBS, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBS

RBS New Member

Hi all,
    As a winter project I am buying a carbon fiber frame and transferring all the components from my 2002 cannondale r500 over to it. I'm a pretty good mechanic and have the tools but I thought I'd ask all you experts out there if there are any words of wisdon that you care to lay on me for this project. The new frame comes with fork and headset installled already. One piece i'll have to change is the front derailler from the existing clamp on to a braze on unit. the component group is tiagra with sti shifters.

thanks all

bob

Tags:

2. daveornee

daveornee New Member

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
    http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
    Barnetts Repair Manual
    are all good sources of help

3. Ted Bennett

Ted Bennett Guest

> Hi all, As a winter project I am buying a carbon fiber frame and transferring all the components
    > from my 2002 cannondale r500 over to it. I'm a pretty good mechanic and have the tools but I
    > thought I'd ask all you experts out there if there are any words of wisdon that you care to lay on
    > me for this project. The new frame comes with fork and headset installled already. One piece i'll
    > have to change is the front derailler from the existing clamp on to a braze on unit. the component
    > group is tiagra with sti shifters.
    >
    > thanks all
    >
    > bob

Don't clamp the frame into a bicycle repair stand. Clamp it by the seat post instead.

--
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

4. Paul Kopit

Paul Kopit Guest

On 8 Dec 2003 07:32:16 +1050, RBS <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all, As a winter project I am buying a carbon fiber frame and transferring all the components
    >from my 2002 cannondale r500 over to it. I'm a pretty good mechanic and have the tools but I
    >thought I'd ask all you experts out there if there are any words of wisdon that you care to lay on
    >me for this project. The new frame comes with fork and headset installled already. One piece i'll
    >have to change is the front derailler from the existing clamp on to a braze on unit. the component
    >group is tiagra with sti shifters.
    >
    It's not that complicated and it is also not that expensive to have your local shop do the
    job for you.

Cutting down the fork to the proper length is not a routine thing and it's easy to make expensive
    mistakes. I don't like doing it and really don't have good tools for it.

If the frames have the same dimensions, and they usually do not, you need only take the bars with
    shifters, housing, and cables attached from one bike and put on the new one. Usually, you'll need
    new cables and to cut some housing and retape the bars.

5. Digtri

Digtri Guest

Here's a great list of basic steps that I copied not to long ago:

Bike Assy Steps
    1) Clamp the seatpost in a bike stand after installing it in the frame.
    2)Install the bottom bracket, crank and pedals
    3)Install the headset and fork
    4)Install the stem, bar and wheels
    5)Install the brakes
    6)Install the derailleurs and chain
    7)Install any other items
    8)Check your position
    9)Tape the bar
    10)Go for a ride.

Good luck!! DIG

"RBS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, As a winter project I am buying a carbon fiber frame and transferring all the components
    > from my 2002 cannondale r500 over to it. I'm a pretty good mechanic and have the tools but I
    > thought I'd ask all you experts out there if there are any words of wisdon that you care to lay on
    > me for this project. The new frame comes with fork and headset installled already. One piece i'll
    > have to change is the front derailler from the existing clamp on to a braze on unit. the component
    > group is tiagra with sti shifters.
    >
    > thanks all
    >
    > bob
    >
    >
    >
    > --

6. Ken

Ken Guest

"DIGTRI" <[email protected]> wrote in news:fb3Bb.45003$%h4.37567 @twister.tampabay.rr.com:
    > Here's a great list of basic steps that I copied not to long ago:

You can find a detailed list with complete instructions at:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/assembly.shtml

Stuff like frame alignment, facing BB and head tube, installing headset, and cutting fork steerer
    are best left to a shop with pro quality tools. The rest of bike assembly is pretty easy with
    inexpensive tools. If that kind of work isn't fun and/or educational to you, a shop can do it for
    $100 to $200 or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.