Bike building ideas

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by maria01, Feb 16, 2017.

1. maria01

maria01 New Member

Hi Peers,

I am Maria. I love to cycle and have few bikes. Been thinking about building a bike myself or for my kid.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Share with me your experience?

Thanks.

Tags:

2. Gnufrau

Gnufrau Active Member

You need to start with some questions:
    1) what kind of bike do I want to build?
    (road bike, Mountain bike, hybrid, touring, cyclecross, etc)
    2) what is the desired result from building this bike?
    3) can I get the same result cheaper by buying a bike already made?

I have built every bike I have owned sice I was a girl of 11 years old. At first it was because my parents would not spend money on me. Then they found out how much freedom I gained by having a decent bike, and there was no way they were going to support that! Later, my finances would not allow me to buy the level of bike I wanted all at once, so I got my bikes a part at a time. And finally, I developed preferences for what componentry I wanted ( I had what works very well for me), but no one made the kinds of bikes I wanted with the components that I wanted to use...

I only start building bikes after I have answered that first question. Number 2 follows closely after that, and (at least for me) number 3 is a forgone conclusion.

In the last 18 months, I have built two bikes, and I just started on a third.

The bikes I am building are touring bikes based on Campagnolo drivetrains. They all have custom wheels (I build those), and no one thai I have ever heard of is using those components for that kind of bike. So my number 1 is a touring bike using Campagnolo. Number 2 is to have a high quality touring bike that I can rely on, with the features I chose for each bike. Number 3 is, of course 'no' as no one even makes bikes like the ones I build.

So, Maria, I gan give advice, but I need to know just what advice you need?