Bike Building questions/advice

rdr0912

May 11, 2007
I think I have deceided that I am going to tackle the task of building a bike for my girlfriend...soon to be fiance/wife all that good stuff.
Anyway, I wanted something that is going to last if she deceided to stay with it, but not top of the line. I wanted to get some used parts like the frame if possible. I know this route might be a little more expensive than just buying a used bike, but we both think it will be a fun challenge.
She said her inseam is 31" (We haven't had time to measure) so I was thinking about a 52 cm frame. What do you all think?
Just a quick search on ebay and I found this cannondale frame:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannondale-MS1000-frame-650c_W0QQitemZ230151479677QQihZ013QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
What are some thoughts about this?
Also, are there any decent books out there that talk about building a bike or give pointers on the build or anything like that?
Thanks in advance!

rdr0912 said:
I think I have deceided that I am going to tackle the task of building a bike for my girlfriend...soon to be fiance/wife all that good stuff.
Anyway, I wanted something that is going to last if she deceided to stay with it, but not top of the line. I wanted to get some used parts like the frame if possible. I know this route might be a little more expensive than just buying a used bike, but we both think it will be a fun challenge.
She said her inseam is 31" (We haven't had time to measure) so I was thinking about a 52 cm frame. What do you all think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannondale-MS1000-frame-650c_W0QQitemZ230151479677QQihZ013QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Also, are there any decent books out there that talk about building a bike or give pointers on the build or anything like that?
Thanks in advance!
parktool.com has step-by-step instructions for installing and setting up each component.

Measure first. Try one of the on-line fit calculators to put you into the right ballpark for frame size.

Keep an eye out for a good deal on a bike that doesn't fit. It can become a low cost donor to provide most of the parts that you'll need.

Thanks for the info. ANy suggestions for a decent frame for a decent price? I've tried ebay, but I'm looking for a 52 cm frame and there aren't that many on there. I'm fine with a used on as long as it isn't beat up.

rdr0912 said:
Thanks in advance!

Hey, I've very new to cycling, but have found this book to be helpful. It kind of seems like the holy-grail of bike building/diagnosing problems/maintenance. Check it out, its cheap on Amazon.

51ED1W02GCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

gotundersteer? said:
Hey, I've very new to cycling, but have found this book to be helpful. It kind of seems like the holy-grail of bike building/diagnosing problems/maintenance. Check it out, its cheap on Amazon.

51ED1W02GCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
Anyone else have this book? I am pretty interested in it if it is any good.