Bike Burnout

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
I actually got bike burnout this year and hardly ride. Then my USB TV messed up and I missed several good Versus Cycling Races. I just can't quit biking though after I spent so much money on this - it'll just be an off year for me. Right now, I probably have less than 500 miles into this year - I didn't keep track.

And then when bike members here get burnout - I usually think they stop posting here. Several members don't post anymore, like Doctor Morbius or Faux Paus.

Because I don't ride much, I tell myself not to buy a 2008 Trek Madone 5.2 or Cervelos R3. I just admire pic of them. Road bike lust is bad for your wallet!

Any of you got bike burnout?

nice post. I wouldn't call it bike burnout necessarily but about a month ago I acquired achilles tendonitis in my right leg possibly from any number of ways. I'm not sure if it was the saddle hieght or the shoes or not stretching or bad pedal technique or just more riding than my achilles can handle. Many reasons as you can see. Of all things I did it on a wicked cool, over priced Cervelo r3sl. I've been riding occasionally but today was the first time I was back on the Cervelo since the injury occured. Most of my riding is done on a Trek 4300sl mountainbike with topeak luggage rack/milk crate setup and Ritchey Tomslicks. I love that bike. It has wellgo platform pedals so I get to wear my most comfortable runnig shoes which is good for the tendon and its a real bike. Meaning I can commute to work and shop and get a workout all in one ride. Right up to the point of the injury my riding was getting faster and better than ever I was really getting in to the ass up head down postion, what a way to go thru life :p staying in the saddle with hands in the drops going up hills, yeah you know, simply tearing up the road with vigor. These days all my rides feel like recovery rides so to speak but hopefully in another month the tendon will be 100% and I can once again punish myself. :rolleyes:

Probably the best way to fight burnout is just pick your fastest bike and go for a short intense ride. Even 5 miles is good, at least you won't feel like you wasted your money on your bikes.

My early reason for the low miles this season was that I spent my weekends wrenching / upgrading and working on my 1999 Honda Civic HX - instead of long distance weekend rides. And I skip biking in the hot Houston summers.

But my expensive bikes make me want to ride. But it could be embarrassing being slow on them due to low training.

JTE83 said:
My early reason for the low miles this season was that I spent my weekends wrenching / upgrading and working on my 1999 Honda Civic HX - instead of long distance weekend rides. And I skip biking in the hot Houston summers.

But my expensive bikes make me want to ride. But it could be embarrassing being slow on them due to low training.

That's exactly why I suggest short intense rides. For all those weekends your fixing your car you could easily fit in a hour on the bike prior to being a mechanic for a day. Not to mention maitain some level of fitness. As far as being embarrassed goes I find most fellow cyclist are in the same boat as me, they'll wave and are grateful to make time to ride. The one's that don't wave obviously are in their own universe. Embarrassing is when you have to stop in the middle of ride and pee behind a parked car trying not get noticed and then when you go leave the FD derails the chain whilst shifting up to the big crank cog and just then two cyclist go whizzing by while you look like a bumbling fool with a overpriced roadbike.

If worst comes to worst, get your trainer out and keep your conditining up by training in your air conditioned apartment during the hot Houston summer. After a couple of months of that, you'll be ready to get out and ride, and you won't be totally out of shape.