Bike Bus

Andrew Priest

Guest
G'day

Got this little announcement from BicycleNSW:

"]21st July - Interested in Starting your own Bike Bus?
There will be a training day for Bike Bus "drivers" and "conductors"
(leaders and sweeps) on Saturday 21st July at Sydney Olympic Park.
Email Fiona at [email protected] to register your interest. See
http://www.bikebus.org.au for more about the Bike Bus project."

and the whole thing has me intrigued. Anyone have any experience with
this? Anything like this in other cities?

Regards
Andrew

-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

"Andrew Priest" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G'day
>
> Got this little announcement from BicycleNSW:
>
> "]21st July - Interested in Starting your own Bike Bus?
> There will be a training day for Bike Bus "drivers" and "conductors"
> (leaders and sweeps) on Saturday 21st July at Sydney Olympic Park.
> Email Fiona at [email protected] to register your interest. See
> http://www.bikebus.org.au for more about the Bike Bus project."
>
> and the whole thing has me intrigued. Anyone have any experience with
> this? Anything like this in other cities?
>
> Regards
> Andrew
>
> -----
> Churchlands, Western Australia
> Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
> http://aushiker.com http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

Like a bus that has a timetable and runs the same route,the bikebus consists
of other people with bicycles who can wait and meet the "bike bus" and then
ride in the pack as a passenger only that they don't sit on a seat and be
taken to a destination but they have to ride their own bike and can branch
off from the closet area to their work/home destination. It's a great idea
for those who want to commute by bicycle but are a bit scared of doing it on
their own amongst the peakhour traffic and heavy areas.The 'Driver' is the
leader of the bus at all times and steers (leads) the bikebus to it's
destination and the 'Conductor' is the nominated rider who sits at the back
of the group to make sure nothing happens from behind or if anyone has a
stack and takes note of who leaves and branches off during the course of the
trip.Everyone must abide by the road rules as if they are in a motorvehicle
and will/can be chucked out if they misbehave although this i beleive might
be a little difficult as anyone can barge into a group of cyclists whether
they are welcome or not whereas with a real bus,once they are out and the
bus has moved on,they can't get back on when the doors are closed. In all, I
reckon though it's a great idea but it has to rely on the reliability of
it's volunteer drivers and conductors sticking to the same schedule.

It's kinda based around the BUG (bike user group) regular club/group rides
principles.

DJ

On Jul 24, 10:13 am, "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Andrew Priest" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > G'day

> > Got this little announcement from BicycleNSW:

> > "]21st July - Interested in Starting your own Bike Bus?
> > There will be a training day for Bike Bus "drivers" and "conductors"
> > (leaders and sweeps) on Saturday 21st July at Sydney Olympic Park.
> > Email Fiona at [email protected] to register your interest. See
> >http://www.bikebus.org.aufor more about the Bike Bus project."

> > and the whole thing has me intrigued. Anyone have any experience with
> > this? Anything like this in other cities?

> > Regards
> > Andrew

> > -----
> > Churchlands, Western Australia
> > Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
> >http://aushiker.comhttp://backpackgeartest.orghttp://geocaching.com.au

> Like a bus that has a timetable and runs the same route,the bikebus consists
> of other people with bicycles who can wait and meet the "bike bus" and then
> ride in the pack as a passenger only that they don't sit on a seat and be
> taken to a destination but they have to ride their own bike and can branch
> off from the closet area to their work/home destination. It's a great idea
> for those who want to commute by bicycle but are a bit scared of doing it on
> their own amongst the peakhour traffic and heavy areas.The 'Driver' is the
> leader of the bus at all times and steers (leads) the bikebus to it's
> destination and the 'Conductor' is the nominated rider who sits at the back
> of the group to make sure nothing happens from behind or if anyone has a
> stack and takes note of who leaves and branches off during the course of the
> trip.Everyone must abide by the road rules as if they are in a motorvehicle
> and will/can be chucked out if they misbehave although this i beleive might
> be a little difficult as anyone can barge into a group of cyclists whether
> they are welcome or not whereas with a real bus,once they are out and the
> bus has moved on,they can't get back on when the doors are closed. In all, I
> reckon though it's a great idea but it has to rely on the reliability of
> it's volunteer drivers and conductors sticking to the same schedule.
>
> It's kinda based around the BUG (bike user group) regular club/group rides
> principles.
>
> DJ- Hide quoted text -

That sounds like fun. I've been wanting to do something like this in
Perth. Anyone south of the river interested?

Bugbear said:
That sounds like fun. I've been wanting to do something like this in
Perth. Anyone south of the river interested?
some great guidlines and support material put together by Marrickville BUG

(www.massbug.org.au) & check this out

& this : http://www.bikebus.org.au/

these are positive safety initiatives for commuters, especially newbies.

It wouldnt hurt if those commuters willing to help a few BikeBus routes get started kicked in and outlined their routes taken and got responses from those wanting to catch the bus.

Easy to build a blog or a twitter group to keep in touch, outline the timetables , timing points and routes.

From little things big things grow...(thanks Paul Kelly)

Bugbear said:
On Jul 24, 10:13 am, "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Andrew Priest" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > G'day

> > Got this little announcement from BicycleNSW:

> > "]21st July - Interested in Starting your own Bike Bus?
> > There will be a training day for Bike Bus "drivers" and "conductors"
> > (leaders and sweeps) on Saturday 21st July at Sydney Olympic Park.
> > Email Fiona at [email protected] to register your interest. See
> >http://www.bikebus.org.aufor more about the Bike Bus project."

> > and the whole thing has me intrigued. Anyone have any experience with
> > this? Anything like this in other cities?

> > Regards
> > Andrew

> > -----
> > Churchlands, Western Australia
> > Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
> >http://aushiker.comhttp://backpackgeartest.orghttp://geocaching.com.au

> Like a bus that has a timetable and runs the same route,the bikebus consists
> of other people with bicycles who can wait and meet the "bike bus" and then
> ride in the pack as a passenger only that they don't sit on a seat and be
> taken to a destination but they have to ride their own bike and can branch
> off from the closet area to their work/home destination. It's a great idea
> for those who want to commute by bicycle but are a bit scared of doing it on
> their own amongst the peakhour traffic and heavy areas.The 'Driver' is the
> leader of the bus at all times and steers (leads) the bikebus to it's
> destination and the 'Conductor' is the nominated rider who sits at the back
> of the group to make sure nothing happens from behind or if anyone has a
> stack and takes note of who leaves and branches off during the course of the
> trip.Everyone must abide by the road rules as if they are in a motorvehicle
> and will/can be chucked out if they misbehave although this i beleive might
> be a little difficult as anyone can barge into a group of cyclists whether
> they are welcome or not whereas with a real bus,once they are out and the
> bus has moved on,they can't get back on when the doors are closed. In all, I
> reckon though it's a great idea but it has to rely on the reliability of
> it's volunteer drivers and conductors sticking to the same schedule.
>
> It's kinda based around the BUG (bike user group) regular club/group rides
> principles.
>
> DJ- Hide quoted text -

That sounds like fun. I've been wanting to do something like this in
Perth. Anyone south of the river interested?
If it was a nice day, I might forget to get off the bus.

I live in Kensington and my office is in East Perth - my commute is mostly a tootle around the river path, so I doubt I would be on your bus route.

Pity though

SteveA.

On Jul 24, 6:37 pm, SteveA <SteveA.2u8...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bugbear Wrote:
>

> > On Jul 24, 10:13 am, "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > "Andrew Priest" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > >news:[email protected]...

> > "conductors"

> > See

> > about the Bike Bus project."

> > with

> > > Like a bus that has a timetable and runs the same route,the bikebus

> > consists
> > > of other people with bicycles who can wait and meet the "bike bus"

> > and then
> > > ride in the pack as a passenger only that they don't sit on a seat

> > and be
> > > taken to a destination but they have to ride their own bike and can

> > branch
> > > off from the closet area to their work/home destination. It's a great

> > idea
> > > for those who want to commute by bicycle but are a bit scared of

> > doing it on
> > > their own amongst the peakhour traffic and heavy areas.The 'Driver'

> > is the
> > > leader of the bus at all times and steers (leads) the bikebus to it's
> > > destination and the 'Conductor' is the nominated rider who sits at

> > the back
> > > of the group to make sure nothing happens from behind or if anyone

> > has a
> > > stack and takes note of who leaves and branches off during the course

> > of the
> > > trip.Everyone must abide by the road rules as if they are in a

> > motorvehicle
> > > and will/can be chucked out if they misbehave although this i beleive

> > might
> > > be a little difficult as anyone can barge into a group of cyclists

> > whether
> > > they are welcome or not whereas with a real bus,once they are out and

> > the
> > > bus has moved on,they can't get back on when the doors are closed. In

> > all, I
> > > reckon though it's a great idea but it has to rely on the reliability

> > of
> > > it's volunteer drivers and conductors sticking to the same schedule.

> > > It's kinda based around the BUG (bike user group) regular club/group

> > rides
> > > principles.

> > > DJ- Hide quoted text -

> > That sounds like fun. I've been wanting to do something like this in
> > Perth. Anyone south of the river interested?

> If it was a nice day, I might forget to get off the bus.
>
> I live in Kensington and my office is in East Perth - my commute is
> mostly a tootle around the river path, so I doubt I would be on your
> bus route.
>
> Pity though
>
> SteveA.
>
> --
> SteveA- Hide quoted text -

Reminds me of my ride to work last week. I took the long way (50km)
into Perth and did a couple of laps of Kings Park before heading along
Mounts Bay Rd from UWA to the city. I got caught by a group of about
8 riders who I think were just about to start a multi-hour training
ride. Man, it was so tempting to follow them south down the freeway
instead of heading to the office...