Bike buying advice - new or used?

Plin

Guest
I'm planning to buy a road bike to get in shape. Shimano 105 or better.
I don't care about the weight nor do I need a lot of expensive
components. Basically, a decent, reliable bike that I'll keep for a
long time.

It looks like Shimano 105 bikes start at around $800 new. I'm wondering
if I'd be better off buying a used bike and either to save some money
or, to get a better bike for the same amount of money (for example dura
ace, etc.).

Supergo has a Scattante 105 bike for $850, which seems like a pretty
good deal, even though I'm not crazy about the name. Is this a good
brand to go with (it's their house brand)?

Also, it seems that most bikes nowadays are aluminum. Personally, I
think I'd rather have a steel frame for better shock absorption, since
light weight isn't a top priority. Does anyone still make steel framed
bikes in this range?

Thanks for any advice!

It's a myth that there's a difference in shock absorbtion between
steel and aluminium or anything else.
The shock absorbtion is in handlebar tape, saddle shorts g
gloves but mostly tyres.
Then I've nothing against steel or aluminium and given a choice
would rather steel myself.
I've several steel and aluminium bikes.

It's a myth that there's a difference in shock absorbtion between
steel and aluminium or anything else.
The shock absorbtion is in handlebar tape, saddle shorts g
gloves but mostly tyres.
Then I've nothing against steel or aluminium and given a choice
would rather steel myself.
I've several steel and aluminium bikes.

"Plin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm planning to buy a road bike to get in shape. Shimano 105 or better.
> I don't care about the weight nor do I need a lot of expensive
> components. Basically, a decent, reliable bike that I'll keep for a
> long time.
>
> It looks like Shimano 105 bikes start at around $800 new. I'm wondering
> if I'd be better off buying a used bike and either to save some money
> or, to get a better bike for the same amount of money (for example dura
> ace, etc.).
>
> Thanks for any advice!

As with cars, you are almost always going to get better value buying a good,
late-model used bike than a new one. Try rec.bicycles.marketplace or e-Bay
and see what you can find. I got my wife a one year old bike that woulld've
cost $3000+ new for $1100.

JF

"Plin" <[email protected]> writes:

>Supergo has a Scattante 105 bike for $850, which seems like a pretty
>good deal, even though I'm not crazy about the name. Is this a good
>brand to go with (it's their house brand)?

If you're old like me (43) and you know bikes pretty well, buy the
bike of your childhood dreams for pennies on the dollar. For example,
I bought a raleigh super tourer on ebay for $150 shipped. Mine is a
21-speed with 531 steel frameset, and about 25 lbs total, with light
27" wheels and campagnolo-quality french hubs (maillard 700.)

Back in 1974 it listed for about $300 which would be about $1250 today.

It takes patience to find a classic bike with good paint at a price
like this. If you'd like to trade $$$ for instant gratification then
the for $850 you should be able to find something almost as good that
is brand new.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

"Plin" <[email protected]> writes:

>Supergo has a Scattante 105 bike for $850, which seems like a pretty
>good deal, even though I'm not crazy about the name. Is this a good
>brand to go with (it's their house brand)?

If you're old like me (43) and you know bikes pretty well, buy the
bike of your childhood dreams for pennies on the dollar. For example,
I bought a raleigh super tourer on ebay for $150 shipped. Mine is a
21-speed with 531 steel frameset, and about 25 lbs total, with light
27" wheels and campagnolo-quality french hubs (maillard 700.)

Back in 1974 it listed for about $300 which would be about $1250 today.

It takes patience to find a classic bike with good paint at a price
like this. If you'd like to trade $$$ for instant gratification then
the for $850 you should be able to find something almost as good that
is brand new.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

If you're old like me (43) and you know bikes, then buy the bike of
your childhood dreams for pennies on the dollar. For example, two
weeks ago I bought a Raleigh Super Tourer, a reynold 531 throughout
bike with 21-speed gears and top-quality maillard 700 hubs, for $150
shipped (purchased on ebay.) This bike weighs about 25 lbs and came
with an aluminum rack and bluemels fenders.

That bike listed for about $300 in 1974 which would be $1250 today.

It takes patience to find an older bike with good paint that's in good
mechanical condition for a bargain price. If you don't have time to
invest in such a search, by all means trade $$$ for time and buy a new
bike today for $850, and it should work almost as well.

[...]

weeks ago I bought a Raleigh Super Tourer, a Reynolds 531 throughout
frame with 21-speed gears and top-quality maillard 700 hubs, for $150
shipped (purchased on ebay.) This bike weighs about 25 lbs and came
with an aluminum rack and bluemels fenders and upright bars.

This bike listed for about $300 in 1974 which would be $1250 today.

Mercian makes a similar frameset today (audax special 631) for about
$800 shipped and insured to the USA.

It takes patience to find an older bike with good paint in good
mechanical condition for a bargain price. If you don't have a month
or two to invest in such a search, by all means trade $$$ for time and
buy a new bike today for $850, and it should work almost as well.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

If you're old like me (43) and you know bikes, then buy the bike of
your childhood dreams for pennies on the dollar. For example, two
weeks ago I bought a Raleigh Super Tourer, a Reynolds 531 throughout
frame with 21-speed gears and top-quality maillard 700 hubs, for $150
shipped (purchased on ebay.) This bike weighs about 25 lbs and came
with an aluminum rack and bluemels fenders and upright bars.

This bike listed for about $300 in 1974 which would be $1250 today.

Mercian makes a similar frameset today (audax special 631) for about
$800 shipped and insured to the USA.

It takes patience to find an older bike with good paint in good
mechanical condition for a bargain price. If you don't have a month
or two to invest in such a search, by all means trade $$$ for time and
buy a new bike today for $850, and it should work almost as well.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

>> Thanks for any advice!

We all started out, trying just to get in shape, and before the year is
up, we all bought racing bikes. So you might want to keep that in mind.
105 is a good buy, but if you got the bucks go for an Ultegra. Depending on
your age, if you're older you might want to stick with a triple. Or if you
live in a area where you'll be doing a lot of steep climbing. Triples will
keep you in the game. But if you're young, and you haven't ruined your
knees running, maybe a double.

>> Thanks for any advice!

We all started out, trying just to get in shape, and before the year is
up, we all bought racing bikes. So you might want to keep that in mind.
105 is a good buy, but if you got the bucks go for an Ultegra. Depending on
your age, if you're older you might want to stick with a triple. Or if you
live in a area where you'll be doing a lot of steep climbing. Triples will
keep you in the game. But if you're young, and you haven't ruined your
knees running, maybe a double.

>>> Thanks for any advice!

> We all started out, trying just to get in shape, and before the year is
> up, we all bought racing bikes. So you might want to keep that in mind.
> 105 is a good buy, but if you got the bucks go for an Ultegra.

This is absolutely true. If you once loved cycling and don't want to look
like a geek ("a "fred") pay more for at least Ultegra (better yet, get Campy
Chorus) and a nice frame. I refused to believe in '98 that a perfectly
wonderful bike couldn't be had for $750. I was being "practical" and
anti-trendy. Now, even as my rain bike that bike has been upgraded to
Ultegra and my "A" bike cost $3k in 1999.

JF

I think, in general, a thousand dollars is about the minimum I would spend
on a new bike. If you plan to ride it a lot that is...your mileage will
likely vary.

Bart
Vision Recumbent, Klein Q Pro-XX, Abici Vader, LeMond Sarthe, Airborne
Zeppelin, Airborne Manhatten Project, Cannondale T-2000, Douglas Project
cross ...etc.

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> We all started out, trying just to get in shape, and before the year
>> is
>> up, we all bought racing bikes. So you might want to keep that in mind.
>> 105 is a good buy, but if you got the bucks go for an Ultegra.

> This is absolutely true. If you once loved cycling and don't want to look
> like a geek ("a "fred") pay more for at least Ultegra (better yet, get
> Campy Chorus) and a nice frame. I refused to believe in '98 that a
> perfectly wonderful bike couldn't be had for $750. I was being
> "practical" and anti-trendy. Now, even as my rain bike that bike has been
> upgraded to Ultegra and my "A" bike cost $3k in 1999.
>
> JF

I've been doing a little research and the Giant OCR 1 seems to fit the
bill...Ultegra front and rear for under $1,000. It's on the heavy side,
but it sounds like it's built like a tank and should last a few years.
I'll try and find a LBS with one to test ride.

One of the reviews (UK) showed it in a cool white/silver paint scheme,
whereas Giant's US website says it's only available in blue in the US.
Is it possible for US buyers to get non-US models without paying much
more?

> One of the reviews (UK) showed it in a cool white/silver paint scheme,
> whereas Giant's US website says it's only available in blue in the US.
> Is it possible for US buyers to get non-US models without paying much
> more?

Giants have short wheelbases. If you're going to do a lot of steep
descents, and long distance riding, I would look elsewhere. Giants are crit
bikes, but they sure do have damn good paint jobs.

are you recommending the ultegra components because you suspect this
person will get in shape and end up racing? or are you saying that
there is something that the ultegra stuff can offer that everyone who
rides will want eventually (racer or no)?

the reason i ask is that my first road cycle has all 105 components and
probably 12,000 miles on it, and i think it's a great bike (and
everything worked as well or better than i could have hoped for). of
course, i've never ridden on anything with ultegra stuff. i got hit by
a car on this bike, though, and a lot of stuff needs to get fixed now,
so i am actually looking for new bikes at the same time i'm figuring
out how much it will cost to fix this one up. i have been thinking
about just buying another bike with the same 105 set of components, but
if there is a serious argument for buying ultegra over 105, then i'd
like to hear it.

if 105 is good enough, however, what models of bike out there have good
frames and 105 components? i've seen the felt f70 for about 1000
(http://www.feltracing.com/2005_bikes/2005_f70.html). is there
anything else out there comparable to this?

> Also, it seems that most bikes nowadays are aluminum. Personally, I
> think I'd rather have a steel frame for better shock absorption, since
> light weight isn't a top priority. Does anyone still make steel framed
> bikes in this range?
>
> Thanks for any advice!

Specialized makesa a really nice steel frame and fork that retails for
about $550..Allez cro-mo

Just don't believe the BS as tyo 'why compact'...

A LBS has 2004 models of the Giant OCR1 and OCR2 for $925 and $780,
respectively. The '04 OCR 1 is actually better than the '05 model,
since it uses Ultegra front and rear, vs. Ultegra/105 on the '05. Are
these good deals, or should I try and haggle them down a bit? They'll
even give me $100 trade-in for my 20 year old Centurion Lemans RS (only
if I get the OCR 1).

Also, I'm deciding whether to go for the OCR 1 or 2. I'll use the bike
mainly to get/stay in shape and won't be racing or anything, but I'll
probably keep this bike for at least 10 years. The OCR 2 uses
105/Tiagra. Considering the price difference is only $140, I'll
probably get the OCR 1.