Bike buying advice! Noob here, please help a new member!

bone811

Jul 31, 2012
Hello all! New member here, this seems like a great forum with lots of great info and educated riders, glad to be a member. I'm fairly new to road biking, been riding the last year, a couple 20-30 mile rides a week with a few shorter rides sprinkled in. I have been riding an old Centurion Lemans till it was stolen a couple days ago and now need to get a new bike. Don't have that much to spend, but was looking to buy a used bike. Have around 500-700. Been trying to find a Fuji Roubaix, Giant TCR, or Specialized Allez the last couple days off CL, but haven't seen anything that is the right size/condition/price yet. But, I came across a Giant Avail 2012 and the guy was asking 600, said he would sell it for 500. Looks like they cost around 1200 new, does that sound right? Good bike for a person trying to get more into the sport? Worth 500 if in great shape? Thanks for any advice you may have

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/3176384726.html

There are about 10 different models of the Avail so I don't know exactly which one this is, however, the bike looks good and they all cost over $500. If it is the right size, see if he will let you take it to your LBS for a once over to ensure that all is as it should be. If it is all OK, then jump on it for $500. The LBS will be able to tell you if it has been crashed or if there are any structural or mechanical issues that need to be taken care of. There might be a small charge for the once over but just chalk it up to "better safe than sorry".

This is a stock photo, so it's anyone's guess what the bike actually looks like.

The photo shows SRAM Apex, which gives you a wide range 10-speed cassette with a compact double chainset. Cool. Street price for new ones is around $1150-1300, so $500 looks good if everything works and it fits you.

On the other hand, if the bike is equipped with Shimano Tiagra, Sora, or 2300, figure on $650-1100 for a new one. Obviously, if its the cheap one (2300), the bike is considerably overpriced.

Thanks for you help, sorry was out last night and didn't get a chance to check my email. He said that he thought it was a model #3, but his ex girlfirend bought it for him and he wasn't sure. Here are a few pictures that he sent me, maybe you guys can tell from the pic or from the components. He said he only road it and handful of times and id taking up space, looks to be in good condition. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• avail 1.JPG
    avail 1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • avail 2.JPG
    avail 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • avail 3.JPG
    avail 3.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
I missed buying the bike mentioned above by a few hours, bummer. Oh well, I'm moving on. What do you guys thing of these two bikes? He said he could sell this giant tcr2 2005 for 500, just tuned and in good shape except for a couple scratches. Didn't really want thatold of a bike, but thought it was an option as I'm on a tight budget. I also have included another bike that is out of my price range, but may be able to swing if you think there is better value there. Let me know what you think, please!!!

$500
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/3187464815.html

or, slightly out of my price range but maybe could swing it

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/3187434459.html

The 2005 TCR2 for $500 isn't too bad, but it doesn't look like it's in condition to ride home. Well, you get a trainer, too. Figure on putting some money into it. See if he'll take $470.

The Aero TCR is set up for time-trialing or triathlon, and I'd stay away from it unless you want to specialize. Not an everyday rider. Also, $850 looks steep for any used Giant, this old, with an aluminum frame.

Sounds like a really nice deal--lightweight, stiff, although somewhat dated frame, and Ultegra 6600--great stuff. Looks like the seller rode it lovingly and took care of it, too.

If you're roughly 6' tall, give or take an inch or two, jump on it.

I am going to go check it out tonight, as long as it does not sell during the day today, which seems to have happended to me with the last two bikes I wanted to buy. Are there some tips on what to look for to make sure it is in good shape? I spoke to him this morning, he has claimed he has taken great care of it. I'm obviously going to check the frame for damage, brakes, tires, etc.

Good luck. While the first Giant turned out to be a genuine steal (for someone else), this one looks like a real solid deal. And those can be pretty hard to come by these days.

To ensure that it's in decent shape look at the cables for kinks, fraying, rust, or other corrosion. See that the brake pads hit the sides of the rims squarely, and that there's still some "tread" left of the pads. See that the brake and shift cables slide freely. See that the rims are straight and the hubs spin smoothly--no rumbles, no wobbling on the axles. See that the tires don't have cuts or bubbles. Same for the saddle. One or two deficiencies should not be deal breakers, just negotiating points that will require attention and money after the sale. Also, a neatly wrapped handlebar with no scrapes, tears, or excessive dirt usually indicates a well cared for bike. And last, take it for a spin.

Thnaks for the advice. I'm really hoping that this deal works out, unfortunately he is available to show me the bike till tomorrow. Hate having the time lag just incase he is showing it to someone else. I have been bike less the last week+ since my bike got stolen and wanted to take a new bike out of town this weekend to ride. Still keeping my eye open for there bikes, but kind of want be done with the process and bacon the road. Thanks for the help, hopefully I will be posting pictures tomorrow.

bone811 said:
Thnaks for the advice.  I'm really hoping that this deal works out, unfortunately he is available to show me the bike till tomorrow.  Hate having the time lag just incase he is showing it to someone else.  I have been bike less the last week+ since my bike got stolen and wanted to take a new bike out of town this weekend to ride.  Still keeping my eye open for there bikes, but kind of want be done with the process and bacon the road.  Thanks for the help, hopefully I will be posting pictures tomorrow. 
FYI, you should alert the local bike shops about your stolen bike. Thieves quite often will take them to a local shop for any of a host of reasons, none of which are smart. Likewise keep an eye on Craigslist, eBay, and even the local paper's ads.

I have been keeping an eye out for it on craigslist and ebay, but I live in Chicago and there are thousands of bikes shops or places it could of went, not even sure where I could start. Like any big city, getting your bike stolen is a major issue, a lot of scum bags out stealing.

Bought the motobecane le champion sl from the guy today. Seemed like a nice guy, really knowledgeable, looks like he kept great care of it. Even invited me to go out riding. No damage at all, told me all his bikes are well cared for. He even said that if I didn't like or if any problems arose from my ride this weekend that he would fix it or take it back, but there should be none. Ended up paying 520. Pretty pumped! I need to get some pedals ASAP since I'm going out of town this weekend with the bike. I have a performance Bike down the street from my house, any recommendations on pedals, economical pedals, that are clip/clip less?

Originally Posted by bone811 .

Bought the motobecane le champion sl from the guy today.
Smart shopper.

Performance has their own brand of components and accessories called Forte. I've used the road pedals that use the old Look Delta style cleat, which is still available all over the world, and they're quite good. The cheaper heavier pedal holds up better than expensive lightweight one. And the Shimano-like MTB pedals use a cleat that is not quite compatible with Shimano, so you're stuck getting cleats from Performance or on special order.

Does forte make a clip less/clip combo pedal? But, it sounds like the clip less side would only work with their own shoes? Was looking for a pedal like the one below, cheap and decent reviews. I'm going out of town this weekend and need to get something soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M324-Clipless-Clip-Pedals/dp/B001AT33CW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1344483339&sr=8-6&keywords=road+bike+pedals

bone811 said:
Does forte make a clip less/clip combo pedal?  But, it sounds like the clip less side would only work with their own shoes?  Was looking for a pedal like the one below, cheap and decent reviews.  I'm going out of town this weekend and need to get something soon.
A quick look at Performance Bike's website (the seller of Forte stuff) shows this, their Campus pedal.