Bike Buying decision

jrudolph81

Banned
Feb 6, 2012
Which bike is the best overall value, the Giant Rapid for 1250 dollars, Trek 7.6fx, Trek 7.7fx, specialized sirrius limited, cannondale quick carbon 2, or the new trek 7.9fx. All these bikes caught my eye, but some our aluminum and some our carbon. Does the jump from aluminum to carbon make that much of a difference? Also, if I were to buy a hybrid bike with a carbon fiber fork would it break?

Anything can break, depends on the abuse it takes!

This is one of those questions I was telling you about in your other post. I haven't ridden any of those bikes nor even shopped for one so I can't recommend you one over the other. You need to be patient and hopefully someone with more experience then I on these particular models will respond and steer you in the right direction. I could BS you a line of **** for each bike and make you believe I know what I'm talking about just to appease your question, but I think you probably wouldn't like that nor would it be fair to you if I fooled you and you never knew it. So wait for an answer, if you don't get one in a week then repost this one by simply typing in the words "bump" in the quote field then enter post.

I can tell you my opinions of AL vs CF frame bikes, but you probably won't like what you'll read. hint: I hate both AL and CF framed bikes. You can take it from there. I know for $1595 you can get a SRAM Heat equipped Titanium road bike, or for $1695 a SRAM Rival equipped Titanium cross bike that would last way longer then AL or CF frame bikes. I cant' see spending $1250 for a bike with a limited life expectancy if I'm not going to be racing it and need the lightest bike I can find. I keep my bikes for life and I want bikes that can last that long. All my current bikes are lugged steel bikes, but I have my eye on a TI bike.

So anyways, wait for a better answer then mine because I'm an idiot.

I'm an idiot too when it comes to the bikes in question. As to the material that the frames are made of, aluminum gives a slightly stiffer ride than carbon fiber frames. Many manufacturers equip their bikes with a CF fork to lessen the harsh ride of aluminum. CF and CF forks have been around long enough to prove that they are not going to break shortly after you get it. In fact, unless you ride thousands of miles every year, your aluminum or CF frame bike will probably out live you if you take moderate care of it and follow the repair guidelines, especially with the CF frame and torque values. As for the jump from aluminum to CF, there is not a big difference unless you are competing in events where every gram and nanosecond count. The best thing for you to do is test ride all of the bikes that have caught you eye and buy the one that you like best. We can give you all kinds of advice based upon our opinions, but in the end, it is you who has to ride the bike so you should do all that you can to to ensure that you are getting the one that you actually like rather than the one that most of us like.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

I'm an idiot too when it comes to the bikes in question. As to the material that the frames are made of, aluminum gives a slightly stiffer ride than carbon fiber frames. Many manufacturers equip their bikes with a CF fork to lessen the harsh ride of aluminum. CF and CF forks have been around long enough to prove that they are not going to break shortly after you get it. In fact, unless you ride thousands of miles every year, your aluminum or CF frame bike will probably out live you if you take moderate care of it and follow the repair guidelines, especially with the CF frame and torque values. As for the jump from aluminum to CF, there is not a big difference unless you are competing in events where every gram and nanosecond count. The best thing for you to do is test ride all of the bikes that have caught you eye and buy the one that you like best. We can give you all kinds of advice based upon our opinions, but in the end, it is you who has to ride the bike so you should do all that you can to to ensure that you are getting the one that you actually like rather than the one that most of us like.
+1 good advice

Originally Posted by cyclistjoseg .

I'm looking at getting back into biking and am glad I came across this post. Awesome!

I've got my eyes on a cool Carbon Felt, keeping my fingers crossed.

Jose

[email protected]

Which CF Felt? I do know you would get more bike for your money with the Felt then the Treks you were looking at. If you like carbon fiber and want to get more for your money then Felt then check out this: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/kestrel/talon_road_bikes_105.htm