Bike Buying for Fat Girl

Kittygirlz

Sep 27, 2013
Hello everyone, I've been watching this forum from the sidelines. I felt a little weird because everyone on a bike (it seems) is thin and I'm not 300+, but I want to be. Yes, I am already on a diet albeit, I'm not so happy with it but anyway that is not why I am asking your advise. Please if you have any advise as to the kind of bike a girl my size should consider that will be comfortable to ride and learn on. I would love to bike to work someday. It needs to be a good road bike that doesn't need a lot of fancy adjustments. I think I also need advise on tires and what kind of seat. And no I don't want a tricycle!! Constructive advise would be so appreciated, thanks, in advance.

I would shoot for a cruiser with a internal geared hub to start with Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!
smile.png

Allthough I suspect that you are actully a big troll instead of a big girl I would recommend a cyclocross bike.

They are great for commuting and exercise too.

But if I am not mistaken 300lbs is something around 130kg.

That is a bit of a no-no weight for some bikes.

Once you select the bike, email the manufacturer and ask them if the bike is ok for your weight, or if it can be ok for your weight, by e.g. changing the brakes.

If they say no, dont use one... It might be dangerous. Go swimming instead until your weight is ok for cycling, much easier on the legs too.

Good luck and see you around in the forum! (Maybe... if you are not a troll that is.
big-smile.png
)

I know someone about your size that rides a Diamondback Serene comfort bike and it has held up with no issues

Originally Posted by doss

I would shoot for a cruiser with a internal geared hub to start with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks doss, could you recommend a good one? And can I ask what an internal geared hub is?

Originally Posted by Volnix
Hi!
smile.png

Allthough I suspect that you are actully a big troll instead of a big girl I would recommend a cyclocross bike.

Once you select the bike, email the manufacturer and ask them if the bike is ok for your weight, or if it can be ok for your weight, by e.g. changing the brakes.

If they say no, dont use one... It might be dangerous. Go swimming instead until your weight is ok for cycling, much easier on the legs too.

Good luck and see you around in the forum! (Maybe... if you are not a troll that is.
big-smile.png
)
Hi Volnex, No being a troll would be easy, being 300+ is not. So maybe I need to lose a little before I get on a bike, this isn't good news :(

Quote:Originally Posted by Mr645 .I know someone about your size that rides a Diamondback Serene comfort bike and it has held up with no issues

ok, when I go to my local bike shop I will see if they have one I can look at. Thanks!

Check out the giant comfort bikes or hybrids... Internal hub has the gears in the hub itself instead of the normal configuration Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Kittygirlz

Hi Volnex, No being a troll would be easy, being 300+ is not. So maybe I need to lose a little before I get on a bike, this isn't good news :(

Damn... I went up to 90kg once and was terrified! I was living of slices of beef and salads for months (low calories) to lose some weight and not get hungry (beef kinda keeps you feeling full) but had a terrible feeling in my stomach... Or I could just eat normal but less and then couldnt sleep because I was hungry... It was terrible!

How did you manage to get 130+??? I got really scared at 90 and that's just 10kg overweight for me...

Oh btw if you want an -express- diet... Go to one of those week long music festivals that you live in a tent and just drink beer. You will lose a few kg there for sure.
big-smile.png

Yeah, if the manufacturer says that their product is not Ok for your weight, then it's probably best not to use it. For example you can have a look at this chart: (page 5)

2012 RIDER/BIKE WEIGHT LIMITS
AND TERRAIN CONDITIONS:

http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/2012-Bicycle-Owner-s-Manual-Appendix.pdf

You might even do more damage then good with cycling... You would probably want even more calories if you pick up exercise. Not to mention that you would be putting lots of stress in your legs. Swimming might be a safer exercise.

A good diet would probably help alot.

Good luck!
smile.png

Hi!
smile.png

big-smile.png
)
Just stop. You've already spammed multiple threads on this forum already accusing others of trolling.

Originally Posted by new_rider

Just stop. You've already spammed multiple threads on this forum already accusing others of trolling.

Firstly, I didnt spam them. I flooded them.
big-smile.png

Secondly they were trolls.
big-smile.png

Damn... I went up to 90kg once and was terrified! I was living of slices of beef and salads for months (low calories) to lose some weight and not get hungry (beef kinda keeps you feeling full) but had a terrible feeling in my stomach... Or I could just eat normal but less and then couldnt sleep because I was hungry... It was terrible!

How did you manage to get 130+??? I got really scared at 90 and that's just 10kg overweight for me...

Oh btw if you want an -express- diet... Go to one of those week long music festivals that you live in a tent and just drink beer. You will lose a few kg there for sure.
big-smile.png

Yeah, if the manufacturer says that their product is not Ok for your weight, then it's probably best not to use it. For example you can have a look at this chart: (page 5)

2012 RIDER/BIKE WEIGHT LIMITS
AND TERRAIN CONDITIONS:

http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/2012-Bicycle-Owner-s-Manual-Appendix.pdf

You might even do more damage then good with cycling... You would probably want even more calories if you pick up exercise. Not to mention that you would be putting lots of stress in your legs. Swimming might be a safer exercise.

A good diet would probably help alot.

Good luck!
smile.png
Define"good" diet. How did I get up to this? Inactivity and low self esteem to begin with. Giant bikes at least sound as if they could handle a bigger girl, I don't like walking much but if I really can't find a bike that works right now, I suppose I need to start there. But I'd rather bike and I am hoping there is a bike for me. I didn't have time today but I am going to talk to a local big bike shop with some of the suggestions here. I've read else where here about a bike called a hybrid. I am not sure what that is but I am going to find out.

Define"good" diet. How did I get up to this? Inactivity and low self esteem to begin with. Giant bikes at least sound as if they could handle a bigger girl, I don't like walking much but if I really can't find a bike that works right now, I suppose I need to start there. But I'd rather bike and I am hoping there is a bike for me. I didn't have time today but I am going to talk to a local big bike shop with some of the suggestions here. I've read else where here about a bike called a hybrid. I am not sure what that is but I am going to find out.

Swimming might be a very good exercise at this point since it wont put too much stress on your legs etc...

There were lots of overweight people in the YMCA's pool in my hometown. They passed physical exams before being allowed in the pool. They didn't just spend 500 euro in a bike shop and started cycling.

Did somebody from Giant bikes told you that their products are Ok for your weight?

Anyway... Since I am not qualified to give any sound advice in this instance (not a physician) I can only suggest:

1. A Therapist
2. A Nutritionist
3. A General practitioner (medical doctor)
4. A Blood test lab for blood tests.
5. A Good chef.
wink.png

Good luck!
smile.png

Actually my dr is quite enthusiastic and supportive about dieting and any form of exercise I find interesting or acceptable. Swimming is not really appealing because I hate pools and have allergic reactions to many of the chemicals used. And imagine 300+ in a swimsuit
sick.png
...not just no, hell no! It's a good suggestion for a lot of folk but not for me. I am going to join a local gym and zumba, so that will be fun (I think). I definitely need to find a diet I can stick to and not get too bored with. I'm seeing a nutritionist next week and hoping she has some good ideas but it's at a bariatric center and I have a feeling they will try to sell me on doing a belly band or something like it. I'm not interested in that, just a good diet that I can live with. As for bikes I did talk to a local bike shop that has a great rep (I checked). But I am going to hang out here a bit and gain some knowledge on it before going for it.

And imagine 300+ in a swimsuit
sick.png
...not just no, hell no!

Not many people go to a gym's pool to socialize and check the babes. Most go there just to swim. The chemicals though are a different story...
big-smile.png

Actually my dr is quite enthusiastic and supportive about dieting and any form of exercise I find interesting or acceptable. Swimming is not really appealing because I hate pools and have allergic reactions to many of the chemicals used. And imagine 300+ in a swimsuit
sick.png
...not just no, hell no! It's a good suggestion for a lot of folk but not for me. I am going to join a local gym and zumba, so that will be fun (I think). I definitely need to find a diet I can stick to and not get too bored with. I'm seeing a nutritionist next week and hoping she has some good ideas but it's at a bariatric center and I have a feeling they will try to sell me on doing a belly band or something like it. I'm not interested in that, just a good diet that I can live with. As for bikes I did talk to a local bike shop that has a great rep (I checked). But I am going to hang out here a bit and gain some knowledge on it before going for it.

Download MyFitnessPal if you have a smart phone. Eat less calories than your maintenance level. That's the only diet that matters. Everything else is a gimmick.

Use this to calculate your macros split:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Input that to MyFitnessPal, along with your daily calorie allotment and you're good to go. Heathly vs. not healthy calories is pretty common sense, but watching macros can help.

Kitty
Some people are bigger than others.
I am 81 6-3 265 lbs 32 inseam. I need a step through frame.
You said you weigh near 300 but did not say how tall or your inseam.

Both Worksman and Husky industrial have .120" spokes (11 gage)
and thick steel rims. Husky says their bike is rated
at 400 lb including weight of rider. Worksman does
not state.
http://tinyurl.com/n8th9cx
http://tinyurl.com/mejlcax

Originally Posted by AyeYo
Download MyFitnessPal if you have a smart phone. Eat less calories than your maintenance level. That's the only diet that matters. Everything else is a gimmick.

+1. That's why I was eating beef slices with salad (200cal and you dont feel hungry...) If I was eating pasta, or something "correct"
big-smile.png
like that, it would be just two bites.

Bad for the stomach though... Baaad.
confused.png

Remember one day there was football on TV and just thought "*&^% it" and got a huge peperoni pizza.
big-smile.png
I was eating it and eating it and eating it...
big-smile.png

Anyway, lost the extra weight now. It's easier to prevent the weight build up.
wink.png

Myfitnesspal is an app that tracks your foods and calories. Has made my life so much easier. I have also had a lot of success with intermittent fasting. I'm happy to hear you want to get into better shape. Just remember diet is really the most important part. Good luck!