Bike Cadence of 172?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom Nakashima, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. My friend sent me over his training data. The chart says he has a cadence
    of 172 rpm. Is that possible?
    -tom

    Tags:

  2. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    says...
    > My friend sent me over his training data. The chart says he has a cadence
    > of 172 rpm. Is that possible?

    How was the data collected? A lot of runners count each foot impact, so
    they come up with a number exactly twice what a cyclist at the same
    cadence would register.

    Going down a hill and not putting any pressure on the pedals, it
    probably is possible for some people to hit 172. Mark says he can hit
    200 on a stationary bike. I can only hit about 145 on the trainer, but
    my bike has rather long crank arms. I suppose a top trackie might even
    make some significant power at that cadence, but I doubt any normal
    human would.

    newsgroups if possible).

  3. Don't know if it's possible or not but if so sounds totally
    ridiculous to me. There's no need to ever go above a 110 rpm cadence
    for road biking.

    --

  4. Your friend might ought try some bigger rings
    on the cranks of his one speeder... ;)

  5. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > My friend sent me over his training data. The chart says he has a cadence
    > of 172 rpm. Is that possible?

    Yes. Max short term power is actually developed at a pretty high
    cadence. Track sprinters regularly hit 160rpm in a sprint (70kph in a
    52-15, for example). If you don't actually have to develop power, higher
    cadences are possible. I've seen 203 on the display of a cadence speedo
    when just trying for max rpm down a hill.

    Nick

  6. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    With my road bike on a trainer i reach a max cadence in the 170's.

  7. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:01:16 GMT, crystal_tears_
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Don't know if it's possible or not but if so sounds totally
    >ridiculous to me. There's no need to ever go above a 110 rpm cadence
    >for road biking.

    On almost every ride, I apply power past 110 rpm in my highest gear,
    52x11 on 700x23c tires. I've got a good aerobelly and lots of hills.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  8. Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > My friend sent me over his training data. The chart says he has a
    > cadence of 172 rpm. Is that possible? -tom

    I don't want to rain on your buddy's parade but is he using a cordless
    computer? There are a couple of spots on one of my regular rides where
    RF interference plays up with my Polar S710. This morning it tells me
    I'm spinning at 80kmh at a cadence of 160 at 120% of max heart rate.
    Unless I slipped into some alternate universe for that minute or two I'm
    pretty sure it's interference giving me those numbers.

    --

  9. "crystal_tears_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Don't know if it's possible or not but if so sounds totally
    > ridiculous to me. There's no need to ever go above a 110 rpm cadence
    > for road biking.

    For mere mortals perhaps, but don't Millar and Armstrong maintain 130 or so
    during their time trials?