Bike Cadence of 172?

Tom Nakashima

Guest
My friend sent me over his training data. The chart says he has a cadence
of 172 rpm. Is that possible?
-tom

says...
> My friend sent me over his training data. The chart says he has a cadence
> of 172 rpm. Is that possible?

How was the data collected? A lot of runners count each foot impact, so
they come up with a number exactly twice what a cyclist at the same
cadence would register.

Going down a hill and not putting any pressure on the pedals, it
probably is possible for some people to hit 172. Mark says he can hit
200 on a stationary bike. I can only hit about 145 on the trainer, but
my bike has rather long crank arms. I suppose a top trackie might even
make some significant power at that cadence, but I doubt any normal
human would.

newsgroups if possible).

Don't know if it's possible or not but if so sounds totally
ridiculous to me. There's no need to ever go above a 110 rpm cadence
for road biking.

--

Your friend might ought try some bigger rings
on the cranks of his one speeder... ;)

Tom Nakashima wrote:
> My friend sent me over his training data. The chart says he has a cadence
> of 172 rpm. Is that possible?

Yes. Max short term power is actually developed at a pretty high
cadence. Track sprinters regularly hit 160rpm in a sprint (70kph in a
52-15, for example). If you don't actually have to develop power, higher
cadences are possible. I've seen 203 on the display of a cadence speedo
when just trying for max rpm down a hill.

Nick

With my road bike on a trainer i reach a max cadence in the 170's.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:01:16 GMT, crystal_tears_
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Don't know if it's possible or not but if so sounds totally
>ridiculous to me. There's no need to ever go above a 110 rpm cadence
>for road biking.

On almost every ride, I apply power past 110 rpm in my highest gear,
52x11 on 700x23c tires. I've got a good aerobelly and lots of hills.
--
Rick Onanian

Tom Nakashima wrote:
> My friend sent me over his training data. The chart says he has a
> cadence of 172 rpm. Is that possible? -tom

I don't want to rain on your buddy's parade but is he using a cordless
computer? There are a couple of spots on one of my regular rides where
RF interference plays up with my Polar S710. This morning it tells me
I'm spinning at 80kmh at a cadence of 160 at 120% of max heart rate.
Unless I slipped into some alternate universe for that minute or two I'm
pretty sure it's interference giving me those numbers.

--

"crystal_tears_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't know if it's possible or not but if so sounds totally
> ridiculous to me. There's no need to ever go above a 110 rpm cadence
> for road biking.

For mere mortals perhaps, but don't Millar and Armstrong maintain 130 or so
during their time trials?