bike cam ?

DD

Guest
It seems worth asking today, with all the joyous news of bike/car
incidents, about some sort of bike cam, perhaps simply a cheap
disposable camera secured to the handlebars or helmet, or better, a
digital camera/video. Anyone here every set one up?
I guess you'd want the camera to either be on already when in the bogan
zone or speedily available to turn on and shoot, assuming you're still
alive and able to remember to do so. You'd also have to worry about
focus, camera shake, what road vibrations might do to it if always
mounted on the bike, and dorkiness. Don't mention batteries, weather,
light conditions and all the other stuff that cameras buck up about in
general.
I guess if you have to play at making your own home movie of 'Dances
with Cars' at least this gives the police the opportunity to perhaps get
the rego of the car that finally gets you after all those lucky years.
Might be worthwhile. Unless a truck does the deed.

So anyone experimented so far? What worked? What won't? What equipment
is best? Any websites?

DD said:
So anyone experimented so far? What worked? What won't? What equipment
is best? Any websites?

Hmm, Bike Saint in Sydney used one. I'll get back you later, hopefully with more info.

DD said:
It seems worth asking today, with all the joyous news of bike/car
incidents, about some sort of bike cam, perhaps simply a cheap
disposable camera secured to the handlebars or helmet, or better, a
digital camera/video. Anyone here every set one up?
(snip)
So anyone experimented so far? What worked? What won't? What equipment
is best? Any websites?

http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/video/video_how.htm
http://www.petefagerlin.com/The_Hub.htm
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

hth
hippy

DD said:
It seems worth asking today, with all the joyous news of bike/car
incidents, about some sort of bike cam, perhaps simply a cheap
disposable camera secured to the handlebars or helmet, or better, a
digital camera/video. Anyone here every set one up?

<Hi-YA!>

So anyone experimented so far? What worked? What won't? What equipment
is best? Any websites?
If you are trying to catch the act of being hit, then I'm thinking it'd have to be video. With the playing I've done with helmet & bar cams, the thing I didn't want to do was crash, as I love my little camera and don't want it to get damaged nor find the cash to replace it. Not sure if you could claim the camera strapped to your helmet if you are in an accident.
Disposable sounds like the go but you are only going to catch the aftermath if as you say you are able to operate... Or if you'e got a swanky mobi with a built in cam.

"DD" wrote:

> I guess if you have to play at making your own home movie of 'Dances with
> Cars' at least this gives the police the opportunity to perhaps get the
> rego of the car that finally gets you after all those lucky years. Might
> be worthwhile. Unless a truck does the deed.
>
> So anyone experimented so far? What worked? What won't? What equipment is
> best? Any websites?

Peter Fagerlin has some tips in the rig he has used for his MTB trail
videos.
http://www.petefagerlin.com/video_how_to.htm

Going to be a bit expensive in batteries to keep the camera running for
long stretches. I don't see that switching it on for each incident is going
to be viable. There are small, cheap low res cameras that are available ,
but they may not give a readable rego number.

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini wrote:

> "DD" wrote:
>
> > I guess if you have to play at making your own home movie of 'Dances with
> > Cars' at least this gives the police the opportunity to perhaps get the
> > rego of the car that finally gets you after all those lucky years. Might
> > be worthwhile. Unless a truck does the deed.
> >
> > So anyone experimented so far? What worked? What won't? What equipment is
> > best? Any websites?

> Peter Fagerlin has some tips in the rig he has used for his MTB trail
> videos.
> http://www.petefagerlin.com/video_how_to.htm
>
> Going to be a bit expensive in batteries to keep the camera running for
> long stretches. I don't see that switching it on for each incident is going
> to be viable. There are small, cheap low res cameras that are available ,
> but they may not give a readable rego number.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Perhaps a voice-activated audio recorder for reading out the rego as the
fscker cuts you off/threatens you etc?

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
Perhaps a voice-activated audio recorder for reading out the rego as the
fscker cuts you off/threatens you etc?

Tam

to extrapolate that...

voice-activated-bike-to-ground-bogun-seeking-missile™

VAB2GBSM

Flying"I choose you, conformadore-piercing-pokemon"Dutch

On 2005-12-20 22:31:08 +1000, DD <[email protected]> said:

> It seems worth asking today, with all the joyous news of bike/car
> incidents, about some sort of bike cam, perhaps simply a cheap
> disposable camera secured to the handlebars or helmet, or better, a
> digital camera/video. Anyone here every set one up?
> <snip>
> So anyone experimented so far? What worked? What won't? What equipment
> is best? Any websites?

Very cool site with some extreme videos of an insane New York cycle
courier, including a collision with a car (when he was travelling the
wrong way down a one way street) and the resultant chase when the car
chased him! It seems that red lights mean nothing to these guys in the
US.

http://www.digave.com/couch/main.htm

AB