Bike/camping journey in UK

Holger Schulz

Guest
Hi,

we're from Germany, we're planning a bike journey within the UK (perhaps
England only).

Getting there and back by ferry from the Netherlands/Belgium sounds
reasonble for us, so the east cost looks interesting.

Traditionally we like to stay on camping grounds. How is the situation
with camping grounds in the UK? Are there lists of them or other
informations available online? How are prices?

Are there recommended tracks or routes which can be followed? We like to
go via the countryside, away from large streets and big cities (usually
we go on a day trip or the from a camping ground outside to an
interesting city).

Anything else we should know?

Thanks a lot.

CU

hs

Holger Schulz wrote:

> Traditionally we like to stay on camping grounds. How is the situation
> with camping grounds in the UK?

Around any remotely touristy area it's generally quite good.

> Are there lists of them or other
> informations available online? How are prices?

Local tourist boards tend to have accommodation finders on the Web.
http://www.visitnorthumbria.com has one and it can be used to list camp
sites. http://www.kwikbreaks.co.uk allows area searching.

Prices... on a recent (couple of weeks ago) tour in Norfolk my partner
and I were charged £10, £10, £15 and £7 for our 4 nights on different
sites. That's the charge for 2 adults in one two person tent. The
showers in all but the last were free, the £7 site cost us another pound
each for showers, so around £10 for 2 people in one tent for a night
seems like a fair guess.

> Are there recommended tracks or routes which can be followed? We like to
> go via the countryside, away from large streets and big cities (usually
> we go on a day trip or the from a camping ground outside to an
> interesting city).

http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php?f=ukmap.htm is a link to
Sustrans map s and routes site. Sustrans is the organisation that looks
after the UK's National Cycle Network which provides a network of long
distance routes. Many of the routes are criticised widely by people
here because they tend to emphasize very indirect rough tracks over
small roads that are fine for cycling and in towns they go to absurd
lengths to avoid /any/ traffic, but the maps are very useful and have
the local road network as well as the NCN routes. Also, very handily,
they show you where you can buy supplies, where there are pubs/cafes and
also campsites and these are marked away from the basic route as well as
on it.

HTH, Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Holger Schulz said the following on 02/08/2006 09:50:

> we're from Germany, we're planning a bike journey within the UK (perhaps
> England only).

If you don't mind hills, mid and north Wales are worth a look if you get
across that far. Do you have any area in mind? You won't be able to
cover even just England unless you have a few years to spare.

> Traditionally we like to stay on camping grounds. How is the situation
> with camping grounds in the UK? Are there lists of them or other
> informations available online? How are prices?

I couldn't see any online lists quickly, but a book I use is the "AA
Caravan and Camping Britain and Ireland" which you can order online.
This gives full details of every camp site worth a look. Camp site
pricing varies, but around £7 per person per night is reasonable. Also,
it isn't necessarily true that the more you pay, the better the site!
Try to stick to the smaller sites rather than the big commercial affairs!

> Are there recommended tracks or routes which can be followed?

I'm going to get lynched here, but look up Sustrans' "National Cycle
Network". For a stranger to the country, that should give you some good
ideas and routes.

> Anything else we should know?

You don't need 4 massive panniers crammed full on each bike, and
clattering aluminium tent poles at 6am isn't appreciated!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:
> Holger Schulz said the following on 02/08/2006 09:50:

> I'm going to get lynched here, but look up Sustrans' "National Cycle
> Network". For a stranger to the country, that should give you some good
> ideas and routes.

No at all - this is exactly what the NCN is (reasonably) good for:
tourists, days out, etc. and not Sustainable Transport, as the name
suggests.

> > Anything else we should know?

* Cars tend to drive on the left, most of the time.
* Bring your own beer - should be able to fit a Tragl or two on a Yak?
* Locks: everything left on the bike unattended and the bike itself
will get nicked
* The natives speak a low-german dialect that can be hard to
understand, sometimes. For example: "was is Das?" tends to sound like
"what is that?"

"sothach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> > Anything else we should know?

> * Bring your own beer - should be able to fit a Tragl or two on a Yak?

Bollocks. Drink the local stuff. Don't drink anything called 'lager', or in
a pub, anything which isn't on a hand pump. Bottled is available. Advice on
where/what to get is a bit regional.

cheers,
clive

"Holger Schulz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1hjfuzo.ecurib53z46lN%[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> we're from Germany, we're planning a bike journey within the UK (perhaps
> England only).
>
> Getting there and back by ferry from the Netherlands/Belgium sounds
> reasonble for us, so the east cost looks interesting.
>
> Traditionally we like to stay on camping grounds. How is the situation
> with camping grounds in the UK? Are there lists of them or other
> informations available online? How are prices?
>
> Are there recommended tracks or routes which can be followed? We like to
> go via the countryside, away from large streets and big cities (usually
> we go on a day trip or the from a camping ground outside to an
> interesting city).
>
> Anything else we should know?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> CU

Guten tag!

Here's a link where you can do an online search for camping in Norfolk

http://www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/norfolk/searchaccom.asp

Useful maps include

Ordnance Survey Landranger maps (1:50000) Shhets 132, 133, 143, 144, 134

Can be purchased online at

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osw...=/products_new/landranger/index.cfm?shop_ID=1

This Goldeneye map is very useful - Norfolk on 1 map

http://www.goldeneyemaps.com/product.php?product=Norfolk_Cycling_Country_Lanes_and_Byways

and again, can be bought online.

Norfolk has mile upon mile of country lanes, winding here and there. Gentle
cycling too.

Remember - over here we drive/cycle on the left. You do *not* have to use
cycle paths even if one is provided. Indeed, much of our cycling 'provision'
is awful and the roads are much better for cycling on.

Shopping for provisions - our shops (in towns at least) have much longer
opening hours than the shops in Germany (certainly from my last visit to
Germany in 2003). No closing over the lunchtime, longer opening hours during
the day and open on Sundays (but reduced hours on Sundays, normally 10-4)

If you come to Norfolk - there's lots worth visiting too.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers, helen s

Holger Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're from Germany, we're planning a bike journey within the UK (perhaps
> England only).
>
> Getting there and back by ferry from the Netherlands/Belgium sounds
> reasonble for us, so the east cost looks interesting.
>
> Traditionally we like to stay on camping grounds. How is the situation
> with camping grounds in the UK? Are there lists of them or other
> informations available online? How are prices?

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ is pretty good for camp site listings.
http://scottishcamping.com/ is a better site, but Scotland only.

Prices are usually between about £3 and £7 per person per night.
--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "sothach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> * Bring your own beer - should be able to fit a Tragl or two on a Yak?

> Bollocks. Drink the local stuff. Don't drink anything called 'lager', or
> in a pub, anything which isn't on a hand pump. Bottled is available.
> Advice on where/what to get is a bit regional.
>
> cheers,
> clive

Indeed. There's many a local brewery producing good stuff.

Cheers, helen s

Craig Wallace <craigw84@fast_nospam_mail.fm> wrote:

> http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ is pretty good for camp site listings.
> http://scottishcamping.com/ is a better site, but Scotland only.
>
> Prices are usually between about ?3 and ?7 per person per night.

In Scotland, perhaps.

I went around about 10 campsites in Shropshire recently to choose
one for a group trip. It seemed that you had to pay 10 pounds per
tent (regardless of number of occupants) for a decent toilet block
and a field pleasant enough to relax in .. under 10 and it was a
muddy cowfield and a portaloo or a grubby shed.

-adrian

Am Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:06:20 +0100 schrieb wafflycat:

> "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "sothach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> * Bring your own beer - should be able to fit a Tragl or two on a Yak?

What is a Tragl? Sounds more Bavarian than German. :)

>> Bollocks. Drink the local stuff. Don't drink anything called 'lager', or
>> in a pub, anything which isn't on a hand pump. Bottled is available.
>> Advice on where/what to get is a bit regional.

Yes, some of the usual suspects of mass produced lager can cause some
severe headache or hangover. There is no such thing here like the German
purity law from 1516 - although you can get a hangover from those beers as
well if you drink enough.

>> cheers,
>> clive
>>

> Indeed. There's many a local brewery producing good stuff.

I stayed in a youth hostel in Wales some weeks ago. They sold some locally
brewed ales - quite distinct and different tast, but really nice stuff.

Andreas

Adrian Godwin wrote:

> In Scotland, perhaps.
>
> I went around about 10 campsites in Shropshire recently to choose
> one for a group trip. It seemed that you had to pay 10 pounds per
> tent (regardless of number of occupants) for a decent toilet block
> and a field pleasant enough to relax in .. under 10 and it was a
> muddy cowfield and a portaloo or a grubby shed.

Well if you've got more than 1 person (and the "we" in the OP suggests
that's the case), then £10 per tent looks at least as good as a fiver a
night as long as there's at least 2 sharing...

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well if you've got more than 1 person (and the "we" in the OP suggests
> that's the case), then ?10 per tent looks at least as good as a fiver a
> night as long as there's at least 2 sharing...
>
> Pete.

Yes, and roughly the same as your Norfolk prices. I was happy to pay
the tenner at a delightful campsite, but wanted to point out the
different charging structure.

-adrian

Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:

> What is a Tragl? Sounds more Bavarian than German. :)

When I was buying my child trailer, the saleman was keen to point out
that it could also be used to transport a couple of 'tragl bier'. Ok,
that was in Starnberg.

> Yes, some of the usual suspects of mass produced lager can cause some
> severe headache or hangover. There is no such thing here like the German
> purity law from 1516

So that means they are allowed to put the dead rats in, then?

wafflycat wrote:

> "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Bollocks. Drink the local stuff. Don't drink anything called 'lager',
>> or in a pub, anything which isn't on a hand pump. Bottled is
>> available. Advice on where/what to get is a bit regional.
>>

> Indeed. There's many a local brewery producing good stuff.

The following may help find one nearby ...

http://www.camra.org.uk/

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the
decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the
climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess
tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a
tool of torture, or an instrument of inspiration, I can
humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my
response that decides whether a crises is escalated or de-
escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we
treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat
people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are
capable of becoming." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Clive George wrote:

> "sothach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > * Bring your own beer - should be able to fit a Tragl or two on a Yak?

> Bollocks. Drink the local stuff. Don't drink anything called 'lager'.....

Unless its called "I Can't Believe It's Not Bitter' - a superb real lager from
Oakleaf brewery ;-)

There are numerous fine breweries in the East and yes ensure it comes from a
handpump.
Keep an eye open for Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold, double winner of Chapion Beer
of Britain, (I was at the trade session in Earl's Court yesterday where it was
announced).

> Advice on
> where/what to get is a bit regional.

IMO, it is best to get hold of a copy of the Good Beer Guide which lists the
best pubs - and also says which of them are near campsites. There are also
lots of regional guides.
But note that the next edition of the Good Beer Guide (2007) comes out in
September.
http://shop.camra.org.uk/DisplaySection.aspx?secid=24

John B

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:55:47 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

> Clive George wrote:
>
>> "sothach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > * Bring your own beer - should be able to fit a Tragl or two on a Yak?

>> Bollocks. Drink the local stuff. Don't drink anything called 'lager'.....

> Unless its called "I Can't Believe It's Not Bitter' - a superb real lager
> from Oakleaf brewery ;-)

There are increasing numbers of decent real lagers being brewed around
the country. I think Iceni still do one as well. I've even seen a
British black lager. Personally I prefer sticking to the bitter.

If the original poster is still reading and is intending to come in summer
he may prefer some Norfolk cider of which there is also a good selection.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

Am 2 Aug 2006 07:26:15 -0700 schrieb sothach:

> Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
>
>> What is a Tragl? Sounds more Bavarian than German. :)

> When I was buying my child trailer, the saleman was keen to point out
> that it could also be used to transport a couple of 'tragl bier'. Ok,
> that was in Starnberg.

Ah, Starnberg - have never been that far south.

>> Yes, some of the usual suspects of mass produced lager can cause some
>> severe headache or hangover. There is no such thing here like the German
>> purity law from 1516

> So that means they are allowed to put the dead rats in, then?

No - they leave that to the French, where presumably that is a delicatesse
:)

Andreas

> Traditionally we like to stay on camping grounds. How is the situation
> with camping grounds in the UK? Are there lists of them or other
> informations available online? How are prices?

I have stayed in two campsites in Wales and though the locations were
beautiful, I was disappointed by the facilities. The first campside was
covered in litter and nobody seemed to care or make an effort to clean
it up. The showers reminded me of a third world country. On the second
camp site there were no showers at all, and only two dirty toilets for
which you had to queue. The other problem with some British campsites
is they can attract some rough people - I was woken up by loud music
and drunken brawls in the middle of the night.

> Are there recommended tracks or routes which can be followed? We like to
> go via the countryside, away from large streets and big cities (usually
> we go on a day trip or the from a camping ground outside to an
> interesting city).

Bear in mind that most of southern England has a very high population
density, so expect heavy traffic everywhere, even on minor country
roads. If you want to get away from the motorised traffic, head to
places in the north such as Yorkshire or the Lake District.

Kinetic wrote:

> I have stayed in two campsites in Wales and though the locations were
> beautiful, I was disappointed by the facilities. The first campside was
> covered in litter and nobody seemed to care or make an effort to clean
> it up. The showers reminded me of a third world country. On the second
> camp site there were no showers at all, and only two dirty toilets for
> which you had to queue.

You might have had a bad experience. The best campsite I know is at
Pencelli, just south of Brecon. (Really) Clean, friendly, award
winning, within walking distance of the tops of the Beacons.

Not always my cup of tea, mind - I quite like the standpipe and single
derelict toilet in an empty field approach to camping.

>If you want to get away from the motorised traffic, head to places in the north such as
> Yorkshire or the Lake District.

You obviously go to a different Lake District than the one I'm familiar
with!