Bike/camping journey in UK

Simon L wrote:
> Kinetic wrote:
>
> > I have stayed in two campsites in Wales and though the locations were
> > beautiful, I was disappointed by the facilities. The first campside was
> > covered in litter and nobody seemed to care or make an effort to clean
> > it up. The showers reminded me of a third world country. On the second
> > camp site there were no showers at all, and only two dirty toilets for
> > which you had to queue.

> You might have had a bad experience. The best campsite I know is at
> Pencelli, just south of Brecon. (Really) Clean, friendly, award
> winning, within walking distance of the tops of the Beacons.

This is one of my favourites, under Eryri, Guto is very relaxed, and
fine with campfires as long as you clean up:
http://www.snowdonia-wales.net/acc/camp/garth/default.asp

sothach said the following on 03/08/2006 12:04:

> This is one of my favourites, under Eryri, Guto is very relaxed, and
> fine with campfires as long as you clean up:
> http://www.snowdonia-wales.net/acc/camp/garth/default.asp

Whilst we're in that neck of the woods, http://www.tyddynllwyn.com/ is
my favourite. At first look, I thought it would be a bit upmarket, so I
toddled on to another one at the end of the road. A swift U-turn later
found me back at Tyddyn Llwyn, and they were great about me turning up
un-announced. I've been there a good few times now, and it's nice to be
remembered!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"Simon L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Kinetic wrote:
>
>> I have stayed in two campsites in Wales and though the locations were
>> beautiful, I was disappointed by the facilities. The first campside was
>> covered in litter and nobody seemed to care or make an effort to clean
>> it up. The showers reminded me of a third world country. On the second
>> camp site there were no showers at all, and only two dirty toilets for
>> which you had to queue.

> You might have had a bad experience. The best campsite I know is at
> Pencelli, just south of Brecon. (Really) Clean, friendly, award
> winning, within walking distance of the tops of the Beacons.
>
> Not always my cup of tea, mind - I quite like the standpipe and single
> derelict toilet in an empty field approach to camping.
>
>>If you want to get away from the motorised traffic, head to places in the
>>north such as
>> Yorkshire or the Lake District.

> You obviously go to a different Lake District than the one I'm familiar
> with!

And a different Yorkshire too!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Holger Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Traditionally we like to stay on camping grounds.

One more possibility: some YHA Youth Hostels provide camping spaces.

www.yha.org.uk

> Are there recommended tracks or routes which can be followed?

I think you are best off getting Ordnance Survey 1:250 000 maps for the
areas you plan to visit, and choosing routes. These maps show virtually
all surfaced public roads, even the smallest. As others said some of
the 'bike trails' etc, in the UK are fit for use with a heavy camping
load, but many are best avoided.

> Anything else

Could try some real English cider (it is not like appelwein).
Possible sources at:
http://ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Cider_Pub_Guide

If you might be taking your bikes by train, www.atob.co.uk is a
useful guide.