Bike Carrier ????

Swellens

Guest
can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for
just one bike.

I have an Allen 2 bike-rear bike rack that I have been using for over 10 years on 2 different
vehicles over the years with no problems at all. The rack cost me in 1991 $49.00. I thought I was
going to have a problem because the car I have been driving for the last 4 years has a rear deck
spoiler, but with repositioning the rack it hugs the spoiler and actually sits more solidly on my
2nd car than my first.

swellens thoughtfully penned:
> can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
> racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
> one bike.

I got a really nice one that works great on my hatch back at a yard sale for $12.

Penny

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:42:03 GMT, "swellens" <[email protected]> wrote:

>can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
>racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
>one bike.

I have the Yakima, on all my cars and you can find some great deals at local car lots, they always
take them off used cars they are selling. They sell them really cheap. Purchase one, it doesnt
matter for what vehicle it is off of. The real money is in the trays, bars, etc. Then all you have
to purchase is the tower for your type of car. Also you can do the EBAY thing.

"swellens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<%[email protected]>...
> can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
> racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
> one bike.

If you want a trunk-mounted one then the Mighty-Joe from Yakima is pretty good. I used that for a
while before going to a roof-rack. You might check ebay, you can probably pick up some steelheads
pretty cheap I'd guess.

-FlatLander

"swellens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
> racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
> one bike.

Yakima nd Thule roof racks are all going to cost alot unless you find a deal. Otherwise you'll have
to get a trunk rack. I used one for a couple of years, not as handy and stable as a roof rack but
they work ok.

Chris

Rich wrote:
> I have an Allen 2 bike-rear bike rack that I have been using for over 10 years on 2 different
> vehicles over the years with no problems at all. The rack cost me in 1991 $49.00. I thought I was
> going to have a problem because the car I have been driving for the last 4 years has a rear deck
> spoiler, but with repositioning the rack it hugs the spoiler and actually sits more solidly on my
> 2nd car than my first.

whoa, you're not me!

In article <%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
> racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
> one bike.

Depending on which model Civic you have, you might have to get a roof rack. Several models (88-91
that I know of) didn't have enough support on the rear door to hold a rack and bicyles. The newer
versions do. Check one of the fit wizards on either Thule or Yakima to verify that you don't buy
something that will wreck your car, or even worse, your bikes.

I've also got a Saris Bones that will fit on both of my Hondas (Del Sol and Civic).

I've had two Civic hatchbacks and have used the same rack on both. The newer models require the
short-roof rack adapters, but makes the rack much more stable. If you get a roof rack, you can also
use it for skis, ski box, moving furniture, etc.

If you decide to get the yakima rack and have a 88-91 civic, I've got a few extra pieces for the
roof rack that won't fit on my current car.

nk

RE/
>can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
>racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
>one bike.

I recently coughed up almost $400 for a Yakima that fits into my towing hitch.

Then I went down to the Outer Banks for two weeks on vacation and realize what a dumb thing I did.

Everywhere I went, I saw plain old beach/fishing equipment baskets stuck on people's hitches. Carry
a bike on one? Two bikes? No problem - people even had little wheel guides that bolt onto the wire
mesh of the basket.

Cheapest ones are less than ninety bucks. The most expensive one I could find (alu, 500 lbs,
folding) was about $185.

Anybody want to buy a really cleverly-designed Yakima rack that lets bikes hang by the wheels?
PeteCresswell