Bike Carrier ????

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Swellens, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Swellens

    Swellens Guest

    can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
    racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for
    just one bike.

    Tags:

  2. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I have an Allen 2 bike-rear bike rack that I have been using for over 10 years on 2 different
    vehicles over the years with no problems at all. The rack cost me in 1991 $49.00. I thought I was
    going to have a problem because the car I have been driving for the last 4 years has a rear deck
    spoiler, but with repositioning the rack it hugs the spoiler and actually sits more solidly on my
    2nd car than my first.

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    swellens thoughtfully penned:
    > can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
    > racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
    > one bike.

    I got a really nice one that works great on my hatch back at a yard sale for $12.

    Penny

  4. Dvstek

    Dvstek Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:42:03 GMT, "swellens" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
    >racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
    >one bike.

    I have the Yakima, on all my cars and you can find some great deals at local car lots, they always
    take them off used cars they are selling. They sell them really cheap. Purchase one, it doesnt
    matter for what vehicle it is off of. The real money is in the trays, bars, etc. Then all you have
    to purchase is the tower for your type of car. Also you can do the EBAY thing.

  5. Flatlander

    Flatlander Guest

    "swellens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<%[email protected]>...
    > can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
    > racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
    > one bike.

    If you want a trunk-mounted one then the Mighty-Joe from Yakima is pretty good. I used that for a
    while before going to a roof-rack. You might check ebay, you can probably pick up some steelheads
    pretty cheap I'd guess.

    -FlatLander

  6. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "swellens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
    > racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
    > one bike.

    Yakima nd Thule roof racks are all going to cost alot unless you find a deal. Otherwise you'll have
    to get a trunk rack. I used one for a couple of years, not as handy and stable as a roof rack but
    they work ok.

    Chris

  7. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > I have an Allen 2 bike-rear bike rack that I have been using for over 10 years on 2 different
    > vehicles over the years with no problems at all. The rack cost me in 1991 $49.00. I thought I was
    > going to have a problem because the car I have been driving for the last 4 years has a rear deck
    > spoiler, but with repositioning the rack it hugs the spoiler and actually sits more solidly on my
    > 2nd car than my first.

    whoa, you're not me!

  8. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I never said I was.

  9. Notaknob

    Notaknob Guest

    In article <%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
    > racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
    > one bike.

    Depending on which model Civic you have, you might have to get a roof rack. Several models (88-91
    that I know of) didn't have enough support on the rear door to hold a rack and bicyles. The newer
    versions do. Check one of the fit wizards on either Thule or Yakima to verify that you don't buy
    something that will wreck your car, or even worse, your bikes.

    I've also got a Saris Bones that will fit on both of my Hondas (Del Sol and Civic).

    I've had two Civic hatchbacks and have used the same rack on both. The newer models require the
    short-roof rack adapters, but makes the rack much more stable. If you get a roof rack, you can also
    use it for skis, ski box, moving furniture, etc.

    If you decide to get the yakima rack and have a 88-91 civic, I've got a few extra pieces for the
    roof rack that won't fit on my current car.

    nk

  10. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >can anyone recommend a bike carrier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy, I was pricing
    >racks like the Thule for my Honda Civic Hatchback and would end up coughing up over $400 for just
    >one bike.

    I recently coughed up almost $400 for a Yakima that fits into my towing hitch.

    Then I went down to the Outer Banks for two weeks on vacation and realize what a dumb thing I did.

    Everywhere I went, I saw plain old beach/fishing equipment baskets stuck on people's hitches. Carry
    a bike on one? Two bikes? No problem - people even had little wheel guides that bolt onto the wire
    mesh of the basket.

    Cheapest ones are less than ninety bucks. The most expensive one I could find (alu, 500 lbs,
    folding) was about $185.

    Anybody want to buy a really cleverly-designed Yakima rack that lets bikes hang by the wheels?
    PeteCresswell