Bike Cases for Airline Travel

cPritch67

Apr 12, 2004
I am traveling to Colorado later this month.
Can anyone recommend a hard case for my bike?
I am also looking for any tips or "lessons learned" about packing the bike.

Thanks
Chris

The price is definitely a plus, compared to some (I've seen some at $800.00). I will check it out this afternoon on the way home (Perf Bike). Thanks for the input. Does your buddy have any packing tips to ensure safety?

cPritch67 said:
I am traveling to Colorado later this month.
Can anyone recommend a hard case for my bike?
I am also looking for any tips or "lessons learned" about packing the bike.

Thanks
Chris

I used to have a VeloSafe Original, which I sold since I don't fly with the bike anymore. It was solid, easy to pack, and durable, with good casters, and had plenty of room for extras (helmet, shoes, pump, etc...). It also required less bike disassembly than some (no pedal removal and no cable disconnections). The downside is that it was expensive, kind of big and required getting a large rental car (an the extra expense that comes with that) at the destination, and did not fit in some cabs.

Different cases have different requirements as to what needs to be removed, but generally, when packing in a case, make sure that you protect the frame with some padding. Some people wrap the whole frame with pipe insulation or similar type of foam. I just wrapped points that would contact other parts. Nothing should be loose. Tie or strap everything together so that it is all one big unit. That way nothing can bang around and bend/break anything else. Foam egg crate pieces can be very useful to place between parts that might rub/bang together.

Basically you have to expect that the luggage handlers will beat the hell out of your bike and you need to pack it accordingly.

friedmikey said:
Trico Iron Case is sort of the standard.

Obviously, I'd prefer to pay less, but would pay more if I thought the Xport wasn't going to protect it satisfactorily.