bike cases & luggage limits

Eric

Guest
I was about to purchase a bike case for flying, but when I asked Delta,
they wrote me that 80 inches was the limit... and the cases I viewed
were 87 inches total?
What's up?
Eric

Eric wrote:
> I was about to purchase a bike case for flying, but when I asked Delta,
> they wrote me that 80 inches was the limit... and the cases I viewed
> were 87 inches total?
> What's up?
> Eric

We have bike cases - pedal pack and tri-all-3 - we travel frequently
from Uk to USA and wihin Europe with them. We have to pay for them on
european flightabout 20GBP - when we fly to USA they are taken as one
piece of luggage and we are allowed 2 pieces per person - so we do NOT
have to pay. However, Delta ALWAYS charge for the carriage of bikes,
but they don'tcharge for golf clubs, surf boartds, etc...I have had
many heated discussion with them and now will not fly with them. I
would rather pay a higher air fare than buy into their unfair
practices's. Sport discrimination!!!!!!!!

Jacqueline Riley wrote:
> Eric wrote:
> > I was about to purchase a bike case for flying, but when I asked Delta,
> > they wrote me that 80 inches was the limit... and the cases I viewed
> > were 87 inches total?
> > What's up?
> > Eric

> We have bike cases - pedal pack and tri-all-3 - we travel frequently
> from Uk to USA and wihin Europe with them. We have to pay for them on
> european flightabout 20GBP - when we fly to USA they are taken as one
> piece of luggage and we are allowed 2 pieces per person - so we do NOT
> have to pay. However, Delta ALWAYS charge for the carriage of bikes,
> but they don'tcharge for golf clubs, surf boartds, etc...I have had
> many heated discussion with them and now will not fly with them. I
> would rather pay a higher air fare than buy into their unfair
> practices's. Sport discrimination!!!!!!!!

Quite true (of Delta). I find that you need to arrive at the airport
armed with the documentation that you will need to short-circuit and
argument from your ticketing agent.

I have also heard it suggested that you should disguise your bike case
to look like a convention kiosk case; don't put race stickers all over
it.

rsquared

Eric wrote:
> I was about to purchase a bike case for flying, but when I asked Delta,
> they wrote me that 80 inches was the limit... and the cases I viewed
> were 87 inches total?

Eric, try to get yourself a Scicon case, they are the best and not
rectangular. Its still debateable that it fits within the limit, but
looks smaller and fits in the trunc of many mid-size US cars. See the
article below for pictures!

I wrote this which is pretty comprehensive:
http://www.tri-force.org/flying_with_bikes.html

My road bike is already packed and waiting to do this years LAF Ride
for the Roses century. I bombed out last year at 99.5 miles, really!
What a nightmare. If you would like to donate to the LAF and their work
in chairty feel free to sponsor me, this year I will finish. 90 degrees
is too hot for a cyclist from the UK!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/triman/38867.html

Whoopee... riding my TT bike at this Sundays Jones Beach, NY
triathlon... anyone else from RST racing?

Cincinnati is a Delta hub... hard to get a flight from any other airline
out of here... and yes I agree, Delta can be total assholes