Bike Cases- TRI ALL 3 Velo Safe or TRICO Ironcase

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lawrenpx, Sep 29, 2003.

1. lawrenpx

lawrenpx New Member

Which bike case is more reliable, TRI ALL 3 SPORTS Velo Safe or TRICO SPORTS Ironcase, without regard to cost the (TRI ALL costs $150 more), for shipping overseas?

I am buying a new bike and don't want to take ANY chances.

I have heard good things about both but I really need one which is indestructable since I have no LBS. The last bike I shipped got damaged, although not with either of these cases.

Gotta protect my baby!

Tags:

2. janus

janus New Member

I was also in the same boat a few weeks ago. I was about to ge the Trico, then I saw one up close. It didn't seem to be very durable. I eventually bought a Serfas. It's much better made and just the right size (UPS allowable), unlike the Tri ALL. I'm shipping a fully custom Ti bike which is a big investment. Don't want to take any chances as well. Bicylcing aluded to liking the case some time last year.

3. lawrenpx

lawrenpx New Member

Thanks for the reply Janus- very informative. Like you, I am also shipping a custom TI frame, with all the built-on components, and cost is not a big issue, just getting it transported in one piece. I had not considered Serfas or even heard of them till now.

To further my research I did a yahoo search (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Serfas+cases&sub=Search&fr=fp-top) and pieced together the following misc. info:

SERFAS
    Serfas Hard Shell
    Though similar looking to other hardshell cases, the Serfas has some decided advantages not shared by the others. The molding of the hard polypropylene shell is so strong you can actually stand on the side of the case when it's empty! The Serfas features 4 stainless steel commercial grade locking latches; no hassling with awkward straps on the outside. Heavy duty rollers are located on each end so you don't have to flip the case to change direction. Inside, the Serfas has secure binding straps to keep your valuable frame from sliding around. And, the 4 interior foam layers are honeycombed to hold small parts more securely. The molded-in handles will never break.

Meets UPS size requirements for easy shipping. Can also be shipped by Parcel Post, but it is too large for Postal Air. Fits road bikes up to 62cm and mountain bikes up to 21.5". Outside dimensions for shipping are 47" x 30.5" x 10.5", 31lbs.
    Serfas Bike Armor Travel Case____ $299.99

Came across this review stating: "For mountain bikes, must remove hub skewers, pedals, seat post, handlebars (from the stem but with cables intact), and then finally turn stem 90deg to fork."

TRI ALL 3
    TRI ALL 3 SPORTS VELO I SAFE PRO SERIES
    The bicycle travel case preferred by top triathletes and cyclists around the world. Constructed of tough .290 ABS plastic, a fork mount secures the bike in one position. No need to remove seat or pedals. Aero bars fit easily without removing or changing cable adjustments. With a lockable steel latch system, the Velo SafeTM Pro Series rolls easily on four heavy-duty casters. Both road and mountain bikes fit securely. Plenty of extra room for wetsuits, clothes, helmets, etc . The spacious interior measures 48"L x 15"W x 30"H and the Velo SafeTM Pro-Series weighs only 30 lbs.
    US$449.00 SALE! $399.00

JUST from this yahoo search it looks like the TRI ALL 3 Velo Safe is better since, supposedly, there is no need to remove anything from the frame but it does cost more.

I also saw a comment from someone stating he liked the SERFAS better than the TRICO Ironcase.

By the way, TRI ALL also has a UPS model, same size and weight, and similar price, but not sure about all the differences with the non-UPS model.

I AM STILL DECIDING. Any furthure thoughts, Janus or anyone else?

4. janus

janus New Member

I got the Serfas case delivered. It is pretty well made. You only need to take out the wheels, of course, and basically loosen the handlebar so you can swing it towards the top tube. Fairly standard. Thing with the Tri-All is that it is very large, I feel. If you plan to use it for say, bike trips to Europe, the Tri-All might be too large and entail massive extra airline charges. Some smaller airlines may not even take it. One thing for sure, I don't recommend the Trico case. Hope this helps.

BTW, where did you have your Ti bike made?