Bike Chain Problem

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Hello All,

    I have a novice question for you on bike repair. I've got a Trek 4300 mountain bike that I've only
    had for a few weeks, and the chain managed to fall off the front sprocket. Being completely ignorant
    about bikes, I put the chain back on to the small sprocket. It will now work properly if the left
    shifter is on one, but not if it is on two or three. Any suggestions? Sorry if the answer is obvious
    for most of you...

    Thanks,

    Scott [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Scott) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > I have a novice question for you on bike repair. I've got a Trek 4300 mountain bike that I've only
    > had for a few weeks, and the chain managed to fall off the front sprocket. Being completely
    > ignorant about bikes, I put the chain back on to the small sprocket. It will now work properly if
    > the left shifter is on one, but not if it is on two or three.

    Most bike shops give you a free tune up after a month. During that time, cables will stretch, so you
    need the tune up to keep it shifting (and braking) smoothly.

  3. I had the same problem with my new bike last year. I think it's an indexing problem, i.e. the number
    on the gear-shift no longer corresponds correctly with the setting of the chains. You have Monday's
    in Tuesday's, so to speak.

    I took my bike back to the shop and they fixed it in a trice. By the way, I'm not sure the bike
    wasn't badly indexed when I bought it. As I discovered in another thread, spanking new for a bike
    does not necessarily mean ready to roll. A bike with a badly set derailleur will be more subject to
    the chain popping off at odd and dangerous moments, as you described. When you put it back on, you
    get it round the smallest sprocket because that's easiest, but if it was set in third gear and
    you're manually intervening to force it into first, your indexing will be wonky.

    Elisa Roselli Paris, France