Bike Chains

They wear too fast, and even when they're not worn, they shift like ****.
Never heard those complaints, but I guess everyone here has opinions about life of components and shifting.

I've been using an FSA triple crankset for 39K miles. I've replaced the whole set after 18K miles, then at 36K miles replaced just the middle ring....the 53 and 30 were still fine, ie, passed my "free-play " test. Don't know if Shimano rings last longer, but I'm happy with the life I get from the FSA rings.

Same for the shifting. I don't have any problems shifting chainrings. I switched from a bike with a standard Ultegra road set up, 52/39, and didn't notice any degradation of front shifting going to the FSA Team Triple set up.

The chains I have broken were all due to the bike setting up at one point and rusting. I've ridden a couple for many years after it rusted and then I loosened it back. My JC Higgins was one of these. ...no, I didn't die when it broke! ;) Other than that. I've had one break on a mud bike, but again, it had gotten and stayed filthy to where the mud worn through it. I still didn't fall. :)

fusionfirefblae said:
I do my best to take care of my bike. Normally, anything that breaks is usually due to some accident, not miscare. But I remember the last time I biked, the chain just broke. It wasn't rusted or old. And it was properly lubricated. So should we simply just expect the chains to suddenly break at some point?

It is a moving part. Over time and friction, that too will wear down and possibly break on you. I think a general rule for everything in this world is to expect it to break sooner or later. If you are a serious cyclist that go off into parts unknown, it's best if you have back up parts on you, or at least a cell phone in case of emergency.