Bike choice for double century

scarleton

Jul 15, 2013
I am interested in riding double centuries. I am currently 6'4" and around 300lb. My price limit is $4500, though I don't feel the need to spend that if I don't need to. What bike would you recommend for me to ride double centuries and why? My 23-year-old Moody Fox Mountain Bike will be for riding with the family.

One thing I know for a fact is that I want Shimano Ultegra groupset on the bike.

A double can be completed on just about any bike you can endure sitting on for the duration. More importantly you need to have the engine ready. I have completed numerous centuries and double metrics this season - but I have yet to bite the bullet and go for 200mi in a day. It is quite a commitment. Without knowing a lot about your capability, I would guess that it would take you anywhere from 13 to 16 hours of saddle time to complete on a flat route.

How far are you riding currently?

I would recommend the same bike as I would if you were riding a metric century, century, double metric or double. Choose a bike that comfortable yet efficient. My priorities would be to have strong wheels, low rolling resistance tires, the option for a wind cheating position (not completely upright), wide gearing range, varied hand positions and some light cargo carrying capacity (a rear rack).

At the slower but potentially more comfortable end of the spectrum are hybrid / fitness bikes. They are efficient enough to get the job done and would not be a big change in riding style from your mountain bike.

To go a bit faster, cyclocross, touring or endurance bikes fit the bill. These will have a nice balance of features, are pretty robust and will be much more efficient than a hybrid. The riding position is more agressive than a hybrid or MTB, but likely still comfortable.

A road bike with a race geometry will be a touch faster yet, but it comes at the cost of a more aggressive position which may sacrifice comfort in the long run.

TT/Tri bike - fast but, not recommended for an enjoyable ride.

I know I don't want a race geometry. I have not heard of endurance bikes, is that something between a race geometry and cyclocross bike or cyclocross and touring?

So far I have done 60 miles, so I know I have a bit of work to do to build up to 200 miles. It is my hope and goal to loss some of the weight by the time I am ready for the double century.

It is my impression that cyclocross bikes are a bit faster then touring bikes, is that correct? Is it simply because touring bikes are normally a bit heavier, or is it also a geometry issue?

On the other hand, it is my understanding that touring bikes are more comfortable because of geometery.

What factor does weight play in comfort? I know a lighter bike is easier to move and will move faster because of that, but does it also become more comfortable because it is lighter or is it a harder ride because there is less bike to absorb the road? I am wondering if the extra cost in titanium would be of value. I would imagine that because of weight alone it would be, but I am wondering if comfort wise it pays off big, too.

In Peace,
Sam

Endurance or sportive bikes have more relaxed geometry than race oriented bikes. They tend to have longer head tubes and shorter top tubes in a given size than would a race bike. Additionally, they also tend to have longer wheelbases (which provides more comfort on rough roads as well a bit of stability) than race bikes. Bike weight has little to do with comfort, except maybe in the case where you have to carry your bike. Comfort is the result largely of fit, tire pressure (coupled with tire size), bike geometry, and the contact points: seat, handlebars, bar tape.... Material is not the major factor in how a bike rides or performs. For example, you mentioned titanium. Titanium bikes can deliver wonderful comfort just as the can provide uncompromising rides. The same goes for steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber frames. If I were you I would focus on finding a bike that is comfortable for you to ride, one that handles as you prefer. I wouldn't buy bike just for a double century. I bike that has the ride quality you like, a fit that you like, and handling that you like will be a bike that will get you through a 200 mile ride. I'd suggest test riding as many different bikes and kinds of bikes as you can so that you can see the difference between geometries and bike types.

Reactions: Brian in VA
Maybe have a look at the "endurance" series of road bikes... Or maybe a normal bike with a bit more upright geometry (maybe with lots of spacers on the stem).

For 200mile rides clothing might play a very important role too...

Quote: Originally Posted by scarleton .
I am interested in riding double centuries. I am currently 6'4" and around 300lb. My price limit is $4500, though I don't feel the need to spend that if I don't need to. What bike would you recommend for me to ride double centuries and why? My 23-year-old Moody Fox Mountain Bike will be for riding with the family.

One thing I know for a fact is that I want Shimano Ultegra groupset on the bike.

FWIW. I think that you need to sort out the riding position which you feel the most comfortable with over the longest time you think you might spend in the saddle ...

Knowing THAT will guide you to the right frame ...

So, try to configure the "cockpit" of your Moody Fox, accordingly.

BTW. I 'love' SHIMANO, but you may want to leave your options open with regard to the components which you ultimately choose/use.