BIKE CLEANER DEGREASER AND LUBRICATION WHATS THE BEST STUFF

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ag2rcycling, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Ag2rcycling

Ag2rcycling New Member

ABOVE

Tags:

2. xxtimber

xxtimber New Member

Is citrus degreaser harmful? Are there any carcinogens? I'm currently using a park tools citrus degreaser and the bottle didn't have appropriate labels...

3. Randy262

Randy262 New Member

We just use Simple Green. Safe to use, safe for the environment. Good stuff.

4. Akadat

Akadat New Member

There's a search function in this here forum. Ag2rcycling, read and reply to one of the old topics.

5. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

It's supposed to be bio friendly, however, it is harmful if misused. It's got all the same old cautions listed on the label. I just treat it like I did the old petroleum based stuff I used to use. Although it isn't supposed to be as harmful to the enviroment, it would sure make a child sick if they drank it...

6. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

Hi there ... so as degreaser i'm using CLR GREASE MAGNET ... realy work well with messy chain end cogs ... just put your stuff into a small plastic bucket and wash your part's and rince with water ... let it dry and voila !!!

as lubricant i'm using the PURPLE EXTREM LUBE and/or Rock'n roll stuff all's work well just a mather of personal choise !!!

7. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

The degreaser may not be harmful to the environment, but the grease that it removed and is now mixed into it certainly is. Once you have used the degreaser, you should dispose of it the same way that you would dispose of used motor oil.

8. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I don't use Simple Green for the simple reason that it corrodes aluminum; and Simple Green and other cleaners that are not listed in the Technical Manuals are taboo for a very good reason-they hurt the metal used to build the machine. But now Simple Green has a special cleaner just for aircraft, you can get it at Aircraft Spruce for about $20 for a gallon of concentrate.

You also don't want to use citrus based cleaners because of the acid that can also corrode aluminum.

I clean my junk with Finish Line Degreaser and then wash the bike with Finish Line Bike Wash, though any car wash will work. I use the Finish Line Wash because I have steel bikes and this product as a rust inhibitor which the car washes do not have. Car washes are more gentle on paint then a bucket of water with household detergents, household detergents can scratch paint and leave a milky appearance, especially noticeable on black paint.

As far as lube go my all time favorite looks like it's going to be Chain L lube. I've been using it now for about 3 months and like it so far, but long term effects are unknown. RBR reviewed this lube and liked it better then their other favorite ProLink. But with Chain L you must follow the directions to the letter for best results.

9. kdelong

I don't soak parts in Simple Green, I just wash them off and then rinse them. No corrosion.

I will agree with you on the Car Wash being more gentle, but I have not had any problems with Dawn dishwashing liquid and a soft cloth on the black paint of my 2003 Raleigh. I think that if it was going to leave a milky appearance, it would have happened sometime over the last seven years. I wouldn't suggest using anything harsher than dishwashing liquid.

I think I'll stick with ProLink. It is exactly what I wanted in a chain lube, so if it ain't broke, I'm not gonna fix it.

10. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

That's my problem, I keep hearing about something that works better and have to try it only to find out most of the time it works worse! But Chain L lube, so far, seems to be better then ProLink...BUT, long term chain wear tests are not anywhere near done yet.

11. Nanan

Nanan New Member

[lang=da]Both the Trek and Specialized shops said to use Simple Green for daily cleaning and to use a steam cleaner and pressure tank for yearly cleanup.[/lang]

12. kdelong

I have serious doubts about using steam cleaners and pressure tanks on a bike. There are too many meltable parts on a bike to be using a steam cleaner on it. And I sort of wonder if it is safe to use steam on a CF frame? The pressure tank is definitely out of the question as it would tend to force water and dirt past any seals and into bearing surfaces where you definitely don't want water and dirt.

13. Revds

Revds New Member

Let me join in here... About three years ago I switched to environmentally friendly lubricants and cleaners. I wouldn't go back now. I spray on a Green Degreaser to clean my chain, cassette, etc. let it sit a short while and then wash it off (hosing it works well). It's then beautifully clean. I then use a lanolin-based lubricant (it has a mustard-yellow label). It is so environmentally friendly, chefs use the stuff inb their kitchens! I bought both at a Canadian Tire up here in Canada... there must be an automotive place where you are that carries these kind of things.

The advantages? Easy to clean. No toxic odor (I clean my bike indoors and the wife hardly notices). And a lot cheaper than bike-shop lubricants.

I own two high end road bikes, and a couple of lower end machines... and they hum beautifully, no problem.

Revds North Bay, Ontario