Bike Clubs in Brisbane (and how gradings work)

lat66

New Member
Apr 10, 2003
Hi All,

I'm thinking of joining a bike club here in Brisbane, and was wondering what a good club in the western suburbs (around Graceville). I was thinking about the Uni cycling club, but was wondering if there are any other good clubs nearby that people recommend.

Also, I was wondering how the different gradings of worked out, and how I could get an idea of where I currently stand? I've been riding for about 3 years, but I've never done any road races or anything like that. This year I did the ride at the Noosa tri, and did 1:02 ride time (1:05.30 including transition), and that's about the only competitive ride I've done. Obviously I'll start in D or E or whatever the lowest is, but I'd like to get an idea of what the pace of the different grades are.

Thanks

LAT66

lat66 said:
Hi All,

I'm thinking of joining a bike club here in Brisbane, and was wondering what a good club in the western suburbs (around Graceville). I was thinking about the Uni cycling club, but was wondering if there are any other good clubs nearby that people recommend.

Also, I was wondering how the different gradings of worked out, and how I could get an idea of where I currently stand? I've been riding for about 3 years, but I've never done any road races or anything like that. This year I did the ride at the Noosa tri, and did 1:02 ride time (1:05.30 including transition), and that's about the only competitive ride I've done. Obviously I'll start in D or E or whatever the lowest is, but I'd like to get an idea of what the pace of the different grades are.

Thanks

LAT66

I can't speak for Brisbane clubs, but 1.02 over 40km means you're probably fit enough to race C (or even B) grade. However, time trialling is quite different to crits or kermesses - there are lots of changes in pace more akin to a sprint/interval training session than a time trial. Start off in D, win and then move up.

Good luck!

Ritch

"ritcho" <[email protected]
> I can't speak for Brisbane clubs, but 1.02 over 40km means you're
> probably fit enough to race C (or even B) grade. However, time
> trialling is quite different to crits or kermesses - there are lots of
> changes in pace more akin to a sprint/interval training session than a
> time trial. Start off in D, win and then move up.

Yeah.. TT speed matters less in road racing if you don't know
how to ride in a bunch. Fast guys can move up grades too quick,
missing out on learning necessary rules and skills and then
get destroyed when they realise they can't break away from the
faster grade guys..
Starting low will get you more of an idea about how the races
work AND you might get some cash. Move up when they tell
you or you destroy the field.

hippy

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Hi All,
>
> I'm thinking of joining a bike club here in Brisbane, and was wondering
> what a good club in the western suburbs (around Graceville). I was
> thinking about the Uni cycling club, but was wondering if there are any
> other good clubs nearby that people recommend.
>
> Also, I was wondering how the different gradings of worked out, and how
> I could get an idea of where I currently stand? I've been riding for
> about 3 years, but I've never done any road races or anything like
> that. This year I did the ride at the Noosa tri, and did 1:02 ride
> time (1:05.30 including transition), and that's about the only
> competitive ride I've done. Obviously I'll start in D or E or whatever
> the lowest is, but I'd like to get an idea of what the pace of the
> different grades are.

I live at Graceville and ride with the Park Rd mob on a Saturday 6am.
You could join Uni (talk to Gavin or Jeremy at uni cycle shop) or Broncos
(my son is in Broncos and I used to race for Uni). If you ride from Park
Rd 6am on a Wednesday, you'll get a good idea of how you'll go racing...
or do the Zupps ride. Once you're affiliated, you can race at Murarrie
on a Saturday morning - you'll soon get into the right grade.
I did Noosa in 2000 - just under the hour but I think the conditions were
better.
Phone me re: local rides 3379 4325
--
Mark Lee

> lat66 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm thinking of joining a bike club here in Brisbane, and was wondering
>> what a good club in the western suburbs (around Graceville). I was
>> thinking about the Uni cycling club, but was wondering if there are any
>> other good clubs nearby that people recommend.
>>
>> Also, I was wondering how the different gradings of worked out, and how
>> I could get an idea of where I currently stand? I've been riding for
>> about 3 years, but I've never done any road races or anything like
>> that. This year I did the ride at the Noosa tri, and did 1:02 ride
>> time (1:05.30 including transition), and that's about the only
>> competitive ride I've done. Obviously I'll start in D or E or whatever
>> the lowest is, but I'd like to get an idea of what the pace of the
>> different grades are.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> LAT66

> I can't speak for Brisbane clubs, but 1.02 over 40km means you're
> probably fit enough to race C (or even B) grade. However, time
> trialling is quite different to crits or kermesses - there are lots of
> changes in pace more akin to a sprint/interval training session than a
> time trial. Start off in D, win and then move up.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Ritch

Sounds like you'd go alright in Cat 2 at Murrarie or come
out to Lakeside raceway and race C or maybe B grade.
Both start at 7am Saturdays. Check out Andrew Von Berky's
site there are links to all the local clubs. Click the Balmoral or
HPRW links for saturday racing.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/vonberky/

Also Victor Cycles runs really good training sessions at
Murrarie Thursdays at 6am for $4 which would give you
a good idea of what it's like.

Adam

adam wrote:

> > lat66 Wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I'm thinking of joining a bike club here in Brisbane, and was wondering
> >> what a good club in the western suburbs (around Graceville). I was
> >> thinking about the Uni cycling club, but was wondering if there are any
> >> other good clubs nearby that people recommend.
> >>
> >> Also, I was wondering how the different gradings of worked out, and how
> >> I could get an idea of where I currently stand? I've been riding for
> >> about 3 years, but I've never done any road races or anything like
> >> that. This year I did the ride at the Noosa tri, and did 1:02 ride
> >> time (1:05.30 including transition), and that's about the only
> >> competitive ride I've done. Obviously I'll start in D or E or whatever
> >> the lowest is, but I'd like to get an idea of what the pace of the
> >> different grades are.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> LAT66

> > I can't speak for Brisbane clubs, but 1.02 over 40km means you're
> > probably fit enough to race C (or even B) grade. However, time
> > trialling is quite different to crits or kermesses - there are lots of
> > changes in pace more akin to a sprint/interval training session than a
> > time trial. Start off in D, win and then move up.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Ritch

> Sounds like you'd go alright in Cat 2 at Murrarie or come
> out to Lakeside raceway and race C or maybe B grade.
> Both start at 7am Saturdays. Check out Andrew Von Berky's
> site there are links to all the local clubs. Click the Balmoral or
> HPRW links for saturday racing.
> http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/vonberky/
>
> Also Victor Cycles runs really good training sessions at
> Murrarie Thursdays at 6am for $4 which would give you
> a good idea of what it's like.
>
> Adam

On that, I've got to say that Andrew Von Berky's site is (a) one of the
most referred to and (b) one of the most useful sites for cycling in
BrisVegas so yay!!!!

Hi all,

I'm nearly ready to join a Brisbane club as well and was wondering if any are better than others, although obviously everyone in each will expound their virtues.

I am 40, live northside and am currently doing just over 150km (3 rides) per week but have a long way to go to build up endurance after 2 years out with injury. Am still not 100% and probably a bit of time away from that yet too. Averaging about 29kph over a 70km ride (saturday Zupps ride route, so pretty flat) by myself at present, but I'm a stayer not a sprinter or climber. Also starting to ride the river ride by myself occasionally but haven't joined the Park road bunch for years and then got dropped at Fairfield and I could ride faster and harder than now!

I want to do some racing but would be certainly starting in the lowest grade, probably more interested in roadracing or TT's than criteriums (being chicken) and need to learn bike handling skills and coping with riding in a bunch. Also wouldn't mind getting some coaching assistance.

So looking to compete, but not be bowled over in a hugely competitive environment, although am pretty keen.

Any suggestions from club members out there?

(Also planning to do the Gold Coast breakfast ride next Saturday...anyone going?)

cheers

I'd recommend Hamilton Pine Rivers Wheelers
http://www.hamiltonwheelers.com/ (Yes, I am a member) they have a
fairly large number of masters riders and a large range of abilities
are catered for. The have a interesting variety of road races during
the winter season (March - Sept) and racing at Lakeside for the rest of
the year. No other club in Brisbane seems to run anywhere near as good
a program. Balmoral run racing on the circuit at Murarrie every week
and other clubs just run training rides.

Bruce Dickson

I'd recommend Hamilton Pine Rivers Wheelers
http://www.hamiltonwheelers.com/ (Yes, I am a member) they have a
fairly large number of masters riders and a large range of abilities
are catered for. The have a interesting variety of road races during
the winter season (March - Sept) and racing at Lakeside for the rest of
the year. No other club in Brisbane seems to run anywhere near as good
a program. Balmoral run racing on the circuit at Murarrie every week
and other clubs just run training rides.

Bruce Dickson

Mark Lee said:
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Hi All,
>
> I'm thinking of joining a bike club here in Brisbane, and was wondering
> what a good club in the western suburbs (around Graceville). I was
> thinking about the Uni cycling club, but was wondering if there are any
> other good clubs nearby that people recommend.
>
> Also, I was wondering how the different gradings of worked out, and how
> I could get an idea of where I currently stand? I've been riding for
> about 3 years, but I've never done any road races or anything like
> that. This year I did the ride at the Noosa tri, and did 1:02 ride
> time (1:05.30 including transition), and that's about the only
> competitive ride I've done. Obviously I'll start in D or E or whatever
> the lowest is, but I'd like to get an idea of what the pace of the
> different grades are.

I live at Graceville and ride with the Park Rd mob on a Saturday 6am.
You could join Uni (talk to Gavin or Jeremy at uni cycle shop) or Broncos
(my son is in Broncos and I used to race for Uni). If you ride from Park
Rd 6am on a Wednesday, you'll get a good idea of how you'll go racing...
or do the Zupps ride. Once you're affiliated, you can race at Murarrie
on a Saturday morning - you'll soon get into the right grade.
I did Noosa in 2000 - just under the hour but I think the conditions were
better.
Phone me re: local rides 3379 4325
--
Mark Lee

Thanks Mark,

If the rain holds out tomorrow, I'll do the park road ride to see how I go...
I've been overtaken by them a couple of times out by myself, and some of those guys are pretty fast!

I'll probably also do the ride on Saturday morning, so I'll be the newbie with a bright orange bike if you're there...

Luis

osc wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm nearly ready to join a Brisbane club as well and was wondering if
> any are better than others, although obviously everyone in each will
> expound their virtues.
> I want to do some racing but would be certainly starting in the lowest
> grade, probably more interested in roadracing or TT's than criteriums
> (being chicken) and need to learn bike handling skills and coping with
> riding in a bunch. Also wouldn't mind getting some coaching assistance.

You can't really go wrong, clubs are full of adults who love doing
something most people stop doing as kids :)

But I'll second Bruce's opinion about Hamilton Pine Rivers
Wheelers, there are riders at all levels from A through to E grade
and it's fun not deadly serious. I joined because of their road season
and I like racing at Lakeside more than Murrarie because there are hills
and it's wide and safe.

> (Also planning to do the Gold Coast breakfast ride next
> Saturday...anyone going?)

Yep I'll be there, it should be fun (though the weather could be dodgy).

Adam

Hi Adam/Bruce,

Thanks for the replies. I thought Hamilton would be the way to go so it looks like I should bite the bullet. I'll probably wait until the new year now though.

I know lakeside from some club level motorsport so to go round on the bike will be an odd experience! Something to look forward to though....

Hopefully weather will be fine on Saturday Adam and we won't have a headwind all the way south!

cheers,

Stewart