Bike Clubs

mysrh

Apr 2, 2006
Anyone here in Bike club?
Care sharing your story with me?

The local bike club, Melville Fremantle Club is a racing club, but what else do they do other than racing?

Ah, no Tri for me :D I do like running sprinting, but not like triathlon running, my feet are as flat as frog's feet. And my lung is low volume capacity.

I'd like to join clubs that can teach me how to read road situations, technique in biking. Especially now that I 've fallen a few times because my brain still hasn't learnt that I have to click off the bike shoes first before getting down from the bike:eek:

mysrh
Been following your threads lately & notice that you have your bike now, I'm curious, which bike did you get.

mysrh said:

The local bike club, Melville Fremantle Club is a racing club, but what else do they do other than racing?
I am a member of a northern suburbs club (does not help you I know) called Northern Districts Cycling Club.

Apart from holding races, crits etc they also have training nights on a Monday and Wednesday. Here there is a group of parents and children (I think the youngest is 10) who get out on a set 2km odd course around Gnangara.Those with the experience help the newer riders(no matter what the age) with technics, sprinting, pacelines, drafting etc etc. It was originally for the kids but has now built up to a stage where there is 3 to 4 separate groups going around depending on your fitness and experience. Great place to learn the basics for anyone.

Most of us also do a group ride on Sat morns leaving from North Perth (again 3/4 separate groups), which has always been open to anyone, you dont have to be a member (same goes for Mon,wed). The club likes to hold these to help people with cycling and who knows, like we did, became fully paid up members.

Albert 50 said:
mysrh
Been following your threads lately & notice that you have your bike now, I'm curious, which bike did you get.
I got myself Giant OCR Composite. Fell twice because I don't know how to use clipless pedal:p. my palm also hurts because the grip is so different from MTB, that I lean much on my thumb palm.

Do most of the bike clubs have roughly the same activities? learning techniques should be very good for my level. Really wish I can ride as fast as I can without worrying other motor vehicles.

mysrh said:
I got myself Giant OCR Composite. Fell twice because I don't know how to use clipless pedal:p. my palm also hurts because the grip is so different from MTB, that I lean much on my thumb palm.

There are clipless pedals and clipless pedals some are easier to eject from than others and some also have tensioners that control the amount of force required to eject from the pedal. You may want to look at that (if it's present). Alternatively if you are not a sprinter, that is not riding in races that include very fast bunch sprint finishes, it might be worth looking at a pedal like crank brothers egg beaters which along with time mtb pedals are about the easiest i've found to eject out of. A much better place to start than some of the look pedals as an example.

With regards to the hand pain, regardless of the different riding position to mtb, it shouldn't happen. If you are getting hand pain, or numbness you have too much weight on your hands which is usually caused by some problem with your setup, stem length, seat height, bar height, crank length or some combination. It's worth talking to your LBS (especially if they have a jig) and figuring out what the issue might be.

Good luck

--brett

mysrh said:

MYSRH - I used to ride with Melville-Fremantle back in the early 1980's - They used to run criteriums each weekend. I was only in it for racing and I don't know what other activities they had. There are other Bike Clubs out there who focus on different activities, but you might as well ask the people in M-F what all they do. There's bound to be someone who'll go out for some rides with you and help you with technique.
Which Bike Shop are you using? Fleet and Bike Force should both be pretty helpful in pointing you in the right direction (as should any Bike Shop - they're just the ones that I've had recent contact with), and Bike Force run some training rides for various capabilities.
Check with your Bike Shop to ensure that your pedals / cleats are set up right. Practice twisting your feet out. It will become automatic after a while. Until then, anticipate having to pull your feet out and do it a little early.
Check with your Bike Shop on the fit of your bike. If you are experiencing pain, some adjustment to your position may be needed. If one Bike Shop doesn't help, move to another.

Skull said:
I am a member of a northern suburbs club...
Hey, Skull, if I recall correctly, your daughter was starting to ride a few months ago. How has it worked out? I'm hoping to get my 8 year old daughter out to have a look once I start going back to Perth in a couple of months time. I may drag her up to Gnangarra to see what you Northerners do.

Eoin

mysrh said:
The pedals: some are easier to get into/out of than others. Everyone has its own favourite. Talk to someone - ask the shop to show you how to use them, maybe even change the release tension (some pedals have adjustable springs...). Then just practice in some quiet street. If you won't feel you can handle them after a few weeks, then try some other model. Expensive excercise, I know...

palms that hurt: This is a problem of bike fit. You should have the bike fitted properly before you took it out of the shop. If your're experiencing any funny sensations, even worse pain, you have to change your position on the bike. To some degree you will teach your body to cope, but not much. Unless you're take up yoga lessons, then a badly fitted bike will be in unhappy relationship with you.

OCR composite: depending on what size you have, but "XS" and "S" have seriously steep seat tubes (seat tube angle 75!! and 74 degrees) - that will throw quite a bit of body-weight on your palms... Can someone check your position on the bike? It is worth every penny.

EoinC said:
Hey, Skull, if I recall correctly, your daughter was starting to ride a few months ago. How has it worked out? I'm hoping to get my 8 year old daughter out to have a look once I start going back to Perth in a couple of months time. I may drag her up to Gnangarra to see what you Northerners do.

Eoin
Absolutely loves it. She has had one nasty fall (person in front of her stopped suddenly to avoid glass) on our Saturday ride. She landed on her head on a drain while riding in a group on Curtin Ave in Cottesloe. Bad case of road rash but head was ok. She got a new helmet out of it so could not wait until the following Monday night to go to the training ride at Gnangara. She no longer comes last in the sprints, beating some of the boys.

What they quite often do on Mondays as part of thier training is time trials, releasing the kids at 1 min intervals depending on ability. Its quite amazing how all of them have improved and this way they are racing against themselves.

You and your daughter would be more then welcome.

Skull, Whats happening re: Racing with NSCC I went to race a few weeks back but no one around.

redorbea said:
Skull, Whats happening re: Racing with NSCC I went to race a few weeks back but no one around.
Not sure Red. I assume you mean NDCC. I cant make it on Sundays due to daughters soccer. I have heard that there may of been a prob with the president being away but he is back now, so all is good.

Skull said:
...You and your daughter would be more then welcome.
Cheers, Skull. I'll be back in Aussie at the end of August and look forward to coming up and having a look. The time trials sound particularly good (I hate them, myself, but that's only because I was always spectacularly bad at them). Good to see girls getting involved in sports like cycling.

Regards,
Eoin

Hello people, instead of typing new thread I put it here.
Today is my first time riding from Winthrop to Perth. Love the scenery, too bad my friend couldn't ride faster (due to the bike he rode) which took a bit of my enjoyment.

I did have a sore on my thumb palm which then it's disappeared on the way home, maybe it is a matter of getting used to it. I also had a bit of cramp from my right bottom to my right foot.

Really enjoy the path where the cyclists are completely separate from the motor vehicle lanes. Wonder if there are many like those path in Perth.

And the bike is indeed amazing in climbing up in comparison to my old bike. IDuring the ride, I heard a faint sound of squeaking from the bike. Is there anything I should check on?

So that's a bit of my story today, now back to Tour the France (no soccer:()

ADD: Ahh, this is what I want to ask, is it dangerous to ride at around 9 - 10 PM from Perth back to my home via the side freeway path, under Mt Henry Bridge?

ADD: Ahh, this is what I want to ask, is it dangerous to ride at around 9 - 10 PM from Perth back to my home via the side freeway path, under Mt Henry Bridge?[/QUOTE]Not if you have good lighting back and front. IMO its no worse then riding now at 5-5:30am in the morning just less pathway traffic. Give it a go, nice and easy and lets us know how you went.

S

Hello, thanks for the input. The danger I was referring about was the chance some anti-social people maybe around the Mt.Henry bridge.;)