Bike Color?

jhuskey said:
I need more information. Detail the color, length, width and whether horizontal or vertical stripes. I can tell you straight out that "lighting bolts" type decals do nothing and that they are a myth and a ripoff. Candystriping the toptube can add the most speed but loss of handling so they are a tradeoff.
I find that adding a small hash mark stripe on the downtube for every cat I can catch and hit adds a certain tasteful distinction to the frame.
Are we edging more into the bling territory? Because I have it on good authority that having a card rubbing against the back wheel is the ultimate bling symbol!

I really like the fact that we are debating the color of the bikes lol when for me that is the least important. Performance is what matters, feeling one with th bike and enjoying ourselves. :)

Susimi said:
Are we edging more into the bling territory? Because I have it on good authority that having a card rubbing against the back wheel is the ultimate bling symbol!

See how silly rumors turn into bad information. it's the front wheel otherwise the wind noise covers up a lot of the cool sound.

All joking aside, the colour of the bike is obviously just going to be down to personal preference more than anything, but having said that, if you found the perfect bike, and at a dirt cheap price but itbwas bright pink and yellow or some paint scheme like that, would it out you off buying it?

While colour isn't that important when your actually riding it, I don't think I'd feel comfortable if it was a garish, outlandish colour to be honest so I probably wouldn't buy it, even if it was the bike of my dreams in all other areas.

bmcleod19 said:
My bike has a matte black frame with crimson red wide rims. Very sleek and nice looking.
That sounds like a pretty stricking colour scheme and I can imagine it's pretty easy on the eyes with the red not being too stricking in shade compared to the black.

You have excellent taste :)

jhuskey said:
See how silly rumors turn into bad information. it's the front wheel otherwise the wind noise covers up a lot of the cool sound.
All joking not aside, you're both wrong, as a child raised in the 50's and 60's the card thing was attached to BOTH the front and the rear with at least one on each side so the sound could be heard not matter what side of the bike the listener was standing and could hear the bike coming and going. Actually it was quite a racket when you had a neighborhood of 15 or 20 little cyclists all doing it; old folks use to tell us not to go pass their houses which meant we were to go past their houses!

PanjoJames said:
Agree with pwarbi
What has pwarbi said? :D

If I have the choice I'll go for a sober color, I don't like anything that draws too much attentions, but it's not that important really.

Mr. Beanz said:
I don't freakin' care ha ha! Years ago I wanted a blue bike. I wanted a pretty bike. Now I really don't care. I have a blue bike, a white bike, a maroon bike, and a silver bike. I can't ride any of them for more than a minute and even remember or care about the color. As long as it runs well, that's all I care about.

Some dude we saw today on a ride was talking about his new bike. He said he liked the bike but didn't like the color. When he said that, I had to look over at my bike to see what color it was ha ha! Oh yeah, it's that color. Nowadays if I were to buy a bike I'd ride it and if it felt good, I'd buy it no matter the color. B)
Haha,this thread made me laugh out frantically. Especially when you said you had to look over to see the colour of your bike. You seem to be some very humorous person. I like that.
As for the colour, and since I am a girl, I do pay attention to details, and to colours, and different shapes like stickers and such things on a bike. I like my yellow black bike. It has red inscripstions on it, and It runs pretty well. It is a mountain bike, and my pride.

There are some colors and color combinations I just don't like and would probably never buy a bike that had those colors or combinations, but if the bike was rare, cheap, something I've been looking for, and it fit I would probably consider buying it even if the color I didn't like.

My bike's black and grey with some orange, but I really couldn't care less. It's a bike FFS, not my wife. I've never looked at another person's bike and though, "Hm, that's a fine looking bike, I'd sure like to jump on that." Did think that for somebody else's wife though.

I thought only kids cared about bike colors. Like you said, nowadays we just hop on and totally forget what color the bike is.

Froze said:
All joking not aside, you're both wrong, as a child raised in the 50's and 60's the card thing was attached to BOTH the front and the rear with at least one on each side so the sound could be heard not matter what side of the bike the listener was standing and could hear the bike coming and going. Actually it was quite a racket when you had a neighborhood of 15 or 20 little cyclists all doing it; old folks use to tell us not to go pass their houses which meant we were to go past their houses!
In the 90's we had the card, or crushed soda can, rubbing along only the rear wheel. I feel sort of lazy about it now :D

There were also those bead things of all different colours that went on the spokes. I remember a couple of kids had them on their bikes but I have not seen them used in years.

I feel almost the same. If it goes well i do not really care. I actually never did. The only thing i didn't want was a pink or something like bright red. I had a violet plum like colour on my bike but it has been stolen so it is probably in different colour now. Anyway, i will probably buy a black one or white. Never fancied those colourful frames. I like to stick with one colour. Those bikes just look more elegant even though it is a sport vehicle. When i get enough money and buy me a new bike i will share the picture. In my mind i have some thoughts about making it part by part. I found some interesting frames so i will see about that.

There's quite a few people on this thread that claim they don't care about the colour, and is that really the case? Really?

While I know that the colour of the bike is only about the aesthetics but at the same time you want to be seen on a bike that looks good? Or is that just a few of us?

Mine is green. I love when something stands out of the line. So does my bike, as many people like to dress in black and have their cars painted black. To me that's kinda weird.

I've never really been bothered over colour because I've almost exclusively ridden hand-me-down or otherwise second-hand bikes. Colour wasn't something I had much of a choice about. I'm not complaining though, as long as the bike is rideable I'm good :)

That said, if I got to pick out a brand new bike of any colour I would probably go for matte black...I just think matte colours look so cool and I've finally gotten over my obsession with having everything pink!

I seem to be a bit of an oddball, in that not only do I care abo0ut the color, but I name my bikes. I feel it is respectful to the spirit of the machine. I have a white road bike (Mondtänzerin - Moon Dancer) with silver componentry, except a few flashes of purple. I'm also rebuilding my flat black hybrid into a Touring bike (Shattentänzerin - Shadow Dancer). With the upgrade, I'm using all black componentry, except for the wheels which will be silver.