Bike Commuting

annette pfautz

Jul 16, 2003
Hi!

I'm new to the cycling forum, so hopefully I'm doing everything right...

I commute to work on a regular basis and would like to know what other women do to make the transition from riding a bike to work "mode" a smooth one. I'm researching this topic for an article I'm writing on bike commuting and would love any/all information anyone is willing to share.

For myself, I bring a skirt or slacks in my saddle bag and change when I get to work. Things are really casual where I work so I don't care too much about wrinkled clothing, windblown hair or the occasional mud splatter on the back of a shirt. Oh, and I try not to sweat, too much:) though I have heard of some people who keep baby wipes at work to help in that department.

I'd appreciate any input.

Annette

I work at a college so there's a gym & showers so if I go too fast I can rinse off (it just happens); I can also get away with shirt & slacks in the backpack or baskets ("I won't go anywhere I can't be wrinkled").

Originally posted by Geonz
I work at a college so there's a gym & showers so if I go too fast I can rinse off (it just happens); I can also get away with shirt & slacks in the backpack or baskets ("I won't go anywhere I can't be wrinkled").

Hey! Thanks for your reply. I'm usually pretty wrinkled (clothes and otherwise) myself. What the hell:)

There's a whole bunch of threads on this (although not necessarily specific to female clothing), but the concepts are similar:

1. Leave as much as posible at work (shoes, tolietries, makeup...)
2. Take extra stuff when you don't ride (hand in hand with 1.)
3. Make sure you have healthy snacks available at work (you will get hungry).
4. Ask your work to provide an iroing board and iron. (<$100)
5. Spend the money you save on tickets, petrol etc. on lights, tyres, reflectors etc. to make your trip more enjoyable.

Originally posted by annette pfautz
Oh, and I try not to sweat, too much:) though I have heard of some people who keep baby wipes at work to help in that department.

Having started cycling to work recently and I found if that you have a shower/bath before cycling to work and have a can of body spray at work, sweating/smelling is not a problem.

Originally posted by Steve_V5
Having started cycling to work recently and I found if that you have a shower/bath before cycling to work and have a can of body spray at work, sweating/smelling is not a problem.

Thanks Steve_V5

Funny...I don't worry so much about the body odor problem as I do about the flat hair problem (we all have our little vanities...) Anyone know of a helmet or scarf with helmet that helps? Even if I try and "fluff" my hair when at work, once flat...forever flat until i wash it... Such problems:rolleyes:

Annette

I cycle to uni everyday and am unable to avoid the 'flat hair' problem. My solution, tie it back (or leave a hairdryer at your work:))!! I purchased a hiking pack with a special back that makes the pack sit away from your back. This reduces the sweat significantly (or paniers are the better option if you don't need to lug it around everywhere). A shower before leaving the house, a complete change of clothes (bra included), a can of impulse, and the air vented back pack equals minimal sweat and no smell for those without access to showers!!

I don't have the flat hair problem, largely because at the first of the season, I tell my hair dresser to grab his shears and "make it helmet proof". Small panniers to carry my gear -- lunch on one side, clothes on the other. Clothes, if rolled, are much more wrinkle resistant than folding them. Shower before leaving keeps the bacterial load on the skin down which means odour isn't much of a problem. Fenders on the bike keep the back spatter down.

Originally posted by annette pfautz
Hi!

I'm new to the cycling forum, so hopefully I'm doing everything right...

I commute to work on a regular basis and would like to know what other women do to make the transition from riding a bike to work "mode" a smooth one. I'm researching this topic for an article I'm writing on bike commuting and would love any/all information anyone is willing to share.

For myself, I bring a skirt or slacks in my saddle bag and change when I get to work. Things are really casual where I work so I don't care too much about wrinkled clothing, windblown hair or the occasional mud splatter on the back of a shirt. Oh, and I try not to sweat, too much:) though I have heard of some people who keep baby wipes at work to help in that department.

I'd appreciate any input.

Annette

Flat hair is no problem with me. I am quite naturally bald. I can even wear the ill-fitting cheap helmets.

Hair in ponytail, and I actually just wear my work clothes, either ( I never wear skirts anyway), rolling up the right leg or wrapping velcro around it. I've lived in 3 cities in the past few years, and my commute has varied from 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. I do make a point to buy "work shoes" that have some grippiness or texture on the bottom so they don't slip off my SPD pedals.

That's a good idea about the hiker's backpack, though. The ventilation would be a big help. Baby wipes are a good tip, too. Thanks!

Originally posted by LMo
Hair in ponytail, and I actually just wear my work clothes, either ( I never wear skirts anyway), rolling up the right leg or wrapping velcro around it. I've lived in 3 cities in the past few years, and my commute has varied from 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. I do make a point to buy "work shoes" that have some grippiness or texture on the bottom so they don't slip off my SPD pedals.

That's a good idea about the hiker's backpack, though. The ventilation would be a big help. Baby wipes are a good tip, too. Thanks!
>>>

I dont have a hair problem, I braid my hair down the back (sort of a combo pnytail and braid), and leave it like that.

I just wear my regular clothes, although I adapt the outfit for riding by wearing pants w/duct tape around bottom of legs, a lightweight sleeveless top under another top that I can unzip completely or remove altogether, , hair in ponytail under helmet (hair will go flat, I dunno what to so about that).

For me sweating is not an issue, sweat doesn't smell if you have decent hygeine and a layer of deodorant. ANd I just slow down the pace if I'm starting to really sweat. I think that's the key to the sweat thing is if you aren't rushed you don't actually HAVE TO work up a sweat to get to work at a fairly gopod clip.

I have saddle bags and change from my tennis shoes into semi-dress shoes. Stop by the restroom to powder my nose. That's it!

Sara

Originally posted by HellonWheels
>>>

I dont have a hair problem, I braid my hair down the back (sort of a combo pnytail and braid), and leave it like that.