Bike Compass??

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Andrew Morris, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Hi Guys,

    My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas. I've
    seen them on REI, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...

    Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...

    Cheers,

    Andrew

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:44:03 +1100, "Andrew Morris"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Guys,
    >
    >My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas. I've
    >seen them on REI, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...
    >
    >Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...

    A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto
    his handlebars. He reckons it was invaluable for navigating around
    cities he was unfamiliar with.
    ---
    DFM

  3. Hmmm... given it's for a gift, that's one of our last resorts...

    "Deep Freud Moors" <[email protected]!l.nu> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:44:03 +1100, "Andrew Morris"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Guys,
    > >
    > >My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas.

    I've
    > >seen them on REI, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...
    > >
    > >Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...

    > A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto
    > his handlebars. He reckons it was invaluable for navigating around
    > cities he was unfamiliar with.
    > ---
    > DFM

  4. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    get the nephew a cheap gps system :)

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:56:11 +1100, "Andrew Morris"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hmmm... given it's for a gift, that's one of our last resorts...
    >

    >"Deep Freud Moors" <[email protected]!l.nu> wrote in
    >message news:[email protected]
    >> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:44:03 +1100, "Andrew Morris"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi Guys,
    >> >
    >> >My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas.

    >I've
    >> >seen them on REI, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...
    >> >
    >> >Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...

    >> A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto
    >> his handlebars. He reckons it was invaluable for navigating around
    >> cities he was unfamiliar with.
    >> ---
    >> DFM

  5. Bzzzzzzzzzzt, he's 5 years old, but obsessed with numbers, and directions,
    and times and stuff...

    have found another one on the web, but again in the US...

    waiting for a response from the MTB Orienteering Association... hoping they
    can help for sourcing one locally....

    "Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > get the nephew a cheap gps system :)
    >
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:56:11 +1100, "Andrew Morris"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hmmm... given it's for a gift, that's one of our last resorts...
    > >

    > >"Deep Freud Moors" <[email protected]!l.nu> wrote in
    > >message news:[email protected]

    > >I've

    > >> A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto
    > >> his handlebars. He reckons it was invaluable for navigating around
    > >> cities he was unfamiliar with.
    > >> ---
    > >> DFM

  6. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    heheeheh, maybe try makng one yourself perhaps mill it out of a small
    billet of aluminium...... or getting hima compass watch :)

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:43:15 +1100, "Andrew Morris"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bzzzzzzzzzzt, he's 5 years old, but obsessed with numbers, and directions,
    >and times and stuff...
    >
    >have found another one on the web, but again in the US...
    >
    >waiting for a response from the MTB Orienteering Association... hoping they
    >can help for sourcing one locally....
    >
    >"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> get the nephew a cheap gps system :)
    >>
    >> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:56:11 +1100, "Andrew Morris"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hmmm... given it's for a gift, that's one of our last resorts...
    >> >

    >> >"Deep Freud Moors" <[email protected]!l.nu> wrote in
    >> >message news:[email protected]

    >> >I've

  7. dyno

    dyno Guest

    does you mate get lost alot still? putting ur compass on the metal handle
    bars will disort the readings?!?

    "Deep Freud Moors" <[email protected]!l.nu> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:44:03 +1100, "Andrew Morris"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Guys,
    > >
    > >My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas.

    I've
    > >seen them on REI, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...
    > >
    > >Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...

    > A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto
    > his handlebars. He reckons it was invaluable for navigating around
    > cities he was unfamiliar with.
    > ---
    > DFM

  8. Well, he just managed a 8 week tour around western Europe with one,
    and didn't have too many probs...
    ---
    DFM

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:05:07 GMT, "dyno" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >does you mate get lost alot still? putting ur compass on the metal handle
    >bars will disort the readings?!?
    >
    >"Deep Freud Moors" <[email protected]!l.nu> wrote in
    >message news:[email protected]
    >> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:44:03 +1100, "Andrew Morris"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi Guys,
    >> >
    >> >My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas.

    >I've
    >> >seen them on REI, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...
    >> >
    >> >Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...

    >> A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto
    >> his handlebars. He reckons it was invaluable for navigating around
    >> cities he was unfamiliar with.
    >> ---
    >> DFM

  9. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    heheheh, when i read that i thought you meant the 5 year old for a few
    minutes :p

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:01:37 +1000, Deep Freud Moors
    <[email protected]!l.nu> wrote:

    >Well, he just managed a 8 week tour around western Europe with one,
    >and didn't have too many probs...
    >---
    >DFM
    >
    >On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:05:07 GMT, "dyno" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>does you mate get lost alot still? putting ur compass on the metal handle
    >>bars will disort the readings?!?
    >>
    >>"Deep Freud Moors" <[email protected]!l.nu> wrote in
    >>message news:[email protected]

    >>I've

    >>> A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto
    >>> his handlebars. He reckons it was invaluable for navigating around
    >>> cities he was unfamiliar with.
    >>> ---
    >>> DFM

  10. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    Many MTB Orienteers don't use a compass, or they use one that clips onto
    their map-board - saw a few of these at the Oz champs this weekend. I might
    even get one, just for those vague-outs when you hit a 5-way junction and
    lose concentration.

    Have a look at:
    http://www.ozmtbo.com/miry_compass.html

    Of course then you need a mapboard (if you are going to buy a Miry (the
    best), its usually cheaper to get them from New Zealand -
    www.mapsport.co.nz).

    Anyone who is into bikes, maps and all that stuff should have a look at the
    infoasis tool where you can plot your GPS'd mountain bike rides (or anything
    else for that matter) on the map. They currently have the route of the
    winner of the men's race at the NSW mountain bike orienteering champs
    running, its very neat.

    http://www.infoasis.com.au/singletrek/singletrek.html

    Andy

    news:[email protected]