Bike Compass??

Andrew Morris

Guest
Hi Guys,

My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas. I've seen them on REI, but
haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...

Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...

Cheers,

Andrew

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:44:03 +1100, "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas. I've seen them on REI, but
>haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...
>
>Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...

A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto his handlebars. He reckons it
was invaluable for navigating around cities he was unfamiliar with.
---
DFM

Hmmm... given it's for a gift, that's one of our last resorts...

"Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:44:03 +1100, "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas.
I've
> >seen them on REI, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...
> >
> >Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...
>
> A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto his handlebars. He reckons it
> was invaluable for navigating around cities he was unfamiliar with.
> ---
> DFM

get the nephew a cheap gps system :)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:56:11 +1100, "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hmmm... given it's for a gift, that's one of our last resorts...
>

>"Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:44:03 +1100, "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Guys,
>> >
>> >My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas.
>I've
>> >seen them on REI, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...
>> >
>> >Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...
>>
>> A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto his handlebars. He reckons
>> it was invaluable for navigating around cities he was unfamiliar with.
>> ---
>> DFM

Bzzzzzzzzzzt, he's 5 years old, but obsessed with numbers, and directions, and times and stuff...

have found another one on the web, but again in the US...

waiting for a response from the MTB Orienteering Association... hoping they can help for sourcing
one locally....

"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> get the nephew a cheap gps system :)
>
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:56:11 +1100, "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hmmm... given it's for a gift, that's one of our last resorts...
> >

> >"Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >I've

> >> A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto his handlebars. He reckons
> >> it was invaluable for navigating around cities he was unfamiliar with.
> >> ---
> >> DFM

heheeheh, maybe try makng one yourself perhaps mill it out of a small billet of aluminium...... or
getting hima compass watch :)

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:43:15 +1100, "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bzzzzzzzzzzt, he's 5 years old, but obsessed with numbers, and directions, and times and stuff...
>
>have found another one on the web, but again in the US...
>
>waiting for a response from the MTB Orienteering Association... hoping they can help for sourcing
>one locally....
>
>"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> get the nephew a cheap gps system :)
>>
>> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:56:11 +1100, "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Hmmm... given it's for a gift, that's one of our last resorts...
>> >

>> >"Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>> >I've

does you mate get lost alot still? putting ur compass on the metal handle bars will disort the
readings?!?

"Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:44:03 +1100, "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas.
I've
> >seen them on REI, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...
> >
> >Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...
>
> A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto his handlebars. He reckons it
> was invaluable for navigating around cities he was unfamiliar with.
> ---
> DFM

Well, he just managed a 8 week tour around western Europe with one, and didn't have too
many probs...
---
DFM

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:05:07 GMT, "dyno" <[email protected]> wrote:

>does you mate get lost alot still? putting ur compass on the metal handle bars will disort the
>readings?!?
>
>"Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:44:03 +1100, "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Guys,
>> >
>> >My partner is looking for a bike compass for her nephew for Christmas.
>I've
>> >seen them on REI, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia...
>> >
>> >Is anyone aware of who would sell them? My LBS drew a blank...
>>
>> A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto his handlebars. He reckons
>> it was invaluable for navigating around cities he was unfamiliar with.
>> ---
>> DFM

heheheh, when i read that i thought you meant the 5 year old for a few minutes :p

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:01:37 +1000, Deep Freud Moors
<deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote:

>Well, he just managed a 8 week tour around western Europe with one, and didn't have too
>many probs...
>---
>DFM
>
>On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:05:07 GMT, "dyno" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>does you mate get lost alot still? putting ur compass on the metal handle bars will disort the
>>readings?!?
>>
>>"Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>I've

>>> A mate of mine got a tiny one from a Chinese store and glued it onto his handlebars. He reckons
>>> it was invaluable for navigating around cities he was unfamiliar with.
>>> ---
>>> DFM

Many MTB Orienteers don't use a compass, or they use one that clips onto their map-board - saw a few
of these at the Oz champs this weekend. I might even get one, just for those vague-outs when you hit
a 5-way junction and lose concentration.

Have a look at: http://www.ozmtbo.com/miry_compass.html

Of course then you need a mapboard (if you are going to buy a Miry (the best), its usually cheaper
to get them from New Zealand - www.mapsport.co.nz).

Anyone who is into bikes, maps and all that stuff should have a look at the infoasis tool where you
can plot your GPS'd mountain bike rides (or anything else for that matter) on the map. They
currently have the route of the winner of the men's race at the NSW mountain bike orienteering
champs running, its very neat.

http://www.infoasis.com.au/singletrek/singletrek.html

Andy

news:[email protected]...