Bike Computer Not Registering

Claude Levesque

Aug 19, 2003
I just switched my bike computer to a new bike. Of course, now its not registering the wheel/fork connection. It turns on and switches modes but will not pick up the connection. I was extremely careful in the disconnecting and reconnecting as this has happened before and I did not want to damage the connection (wire & contact points). Any ideas before I buy the front mount kit again?

If you installed it yourself, it sounds like the sensor on your fork blade is not close enough to the magnetic ring on your wheel. Sometimes just a millimeter or two off can affect whether or not it registers. Make sure the sensor is as close as it can possibly get to the magnet. I'm assuming you have an Avocet style computer, which has the little magnetic ring down by the hub. I've had this problem like if I bumped the sensor when I was removing the front wheel, and solved it by just sliding the sensor up or down on the blade, or maybe pivoting it in towards the wheel a bit. I'm also assuming you don't have one of those remote sensors, since those have a battery down by the sensor which could be out of power.

I'm having this problem myself. I bought a new bike and transferred my cateye mity3 to it. Because of the Ksyrium bladed spokes, had to switch magnets. I have tried 3 different magnets and still have problems with the comp reading intermittently. I know its not too far away because when I am trying to get it to work again all have it actually hit the sensor and still nothing. Then it just magically starts working again.

Anyone have any idea what’s going on here? I never had problems with it on the old bike and the comp is not that old. Do I need to get a new one?

I'd check the wire connections to make sure that the problem isn't a broken wire inside the insulation.