Bike Computer Question

codejockey

Apr 9, 2010
Hello all, sorry to ask such beginner question, but as I'm new to cycling (at least as an adult), I'm interested in tracking my progress for the purposes of training, increasing distance, speed, etc. I realize that a computer could help me with that. My question though, I have a Garmin eTrex Summit HC GPS that I use for geocaching. It has trip computers, tracks routes, distance, speed, etc. My question is, can I utilize that as a bike computer? I mean it wouldn't give me cadence, but will something like that give me most of what I'm needing, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a computer and be done with it? Thanks!

codejockey said:
Hello all, sorry to ask such beginner question, but as I'm new to cycling (at least as an adult), I'm interested in tracking my progress for the purposes of training, increasing distance, speed, etc. I realize that a computer could help me with that. My question though, I have a Garmin eTrex Summit HC GPS that I use for geocaching. It has trip computers, tracks routes, distance, speed, etc. My question is, can I utilize that as a bike computer? I mean it wouldn't give me cadence, but will something like that give me most of what I'm needing, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a computer and be done with it? Thanks!

To be quite honest, bite the bullet and get a computer. I have a Garmin 4Runner that I use when I go running. It worked fine as a computer on the bike as well, but there were disadvantages:

- having to mount it every time I wanted to use it
- first minute or so I didn't have any data as the GPS took time to acquire a signal
- bulky
- didn't keep a true record of my total riding distances (as the totals included my running, walking too etc)

For under 30 bucks you can get a decent computer that's dedicated and permanently fixed to the bike. I have a Sigma wireless on my mountain bike, and a much simpler wired Sigma on my road bike. Both function just fine and are much more convenient than using the GPS.

This is a really good question. I kinda have the same question- Im also a motocross guy, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a computer that can work with BOTH my mountain bike AND my MX bike? Im really interested in things like HR and Avg.'s for my MX bike. Any suggestions?

I use it more while hiking than anywhere else, although I do use it while driving, especially in the back roads and deserts. I use it occasionally on a bike, usually one I don't plan to keep long enough to be worth installing a computer. On a bike, if you are on a twisty trail, it does not give a very accurate readout, as it only updates every few seconds, and you may have made a u-turn or a complete circle since the last update. On a straight road, you can use it to calibrate a cyclocomputer, as it is extremely accurate then. The eTrek Legend does not have a barometric altimeter, so the altitude can be off by hundreds of feet.

Well, the mount for my eTrex is only $11.00USD

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1057

I used it this weekend, and that particular model finds satellites nearly instantaneously, but at worst is less than 1 min. So, if I turn it on when i get to where I'm going while I'm still messing with my equipment, helmet, etc. it will be ready to go when I am.

It seemed to work fine to track distance, avg moving speed, max speed, etc. I think I'm going to use this for awhile, but eventually I will want a dedicated bike computer, but I think I'm going to save up for the one I want rather than settle on a cheap one I can afford now. I know for a fact I will want wireless to avoid wires running down my bike, and one that does HRM would be nice, but even that I have covered with a Polar HRM watch. Really the only thing I seem to be missing is cadence, or the ability to track two different mileages w/out resetting. I can live without those features in the mean time.

codejockey said:
Well, the mount for my eTrex is only $11.00USD

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1057

I used it this weekend, and that particular model finds satellites nearly instantaneously, but at worst is less than 1 min. So, if I turn it on when i get to where I'm going while I'm still messing with my equipment, helmet, etc. it will be ready to go when I am.

It seemed to work fine to track distance, avg moving speed, max speed, etc. I think I'm going to use this for awhile, but eventually I will want a dedicated bike computer, but I think I'm going to save up for the one I want rather than settle on a cheap one I can afford now. I know for a fact I will want wireless to avoid wires running down my bike, and one that does HRM would be nice, but even that I have covered with a Polar HRM watch. Really the only thing I seem to be missing is cadence, or the ability to track two different mileages w/out resetting. I can live without those features in the mean time.

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend. The handlebar mount is always there. Takes 12 nanoseconds to slip the GPS onto the mount. Has pretty good accuracy and some maps. It works well for me. I turn it on while I shoe and glove and helmet up...then it's ready to go when I am.

I've got a handlebar mount for my Garmin Nuvi 255, but only carry it when necessary for navigation. With the voice prompts, it's proven handy for navigating back home to the hotel on a trip, as well as a good backup when on local country roads and can't remember whether to turn left or right.

For a primary cycling computer, the Mity 8 does a fine job for me. It's cheap, reliable, and the battery lasts "forever". GPS eats battery power and just seems like an overkill solution for measuring speed and distance, which is all I want for the vast majority of my rides.

For those who have cell phones with data capability and a GPS chip built in, the latest version of Google Maps (mobile version) is now very accurate. So if you are basically happy with a regular cyclocomputer, but still want some navigation help from time to time, your cell phone may be enough.

The older version of Google Maps that I had on my Blackberry was not accurate at all - your location was just indicated by a fairly large diameter circle (your real location could be anywhere inside). But with the latest update (version 4. something), the location accuracy is very good, and you even get an arrow indicator indicating the direction of travel.

I was doing some hiking this past Saturday in a regional park, and while hiking downloaded the update. I set the app so that I was looking at a "terrain view", which is not really a topographic map, but more of a visual representation of the landform. I was surprised to see that the hiking trail I was on was shown and labeled on the map. (It wasn't even a gravel jeep trail - basically just a dirt path / horse trail.) My location was spot on. At one point I made a 90-degree turn onto a crossing trail, and the arrowhead pointer on Google Maps showed my new walking direction within about 5 seconds (maybe 10 feet of walking).

It would be cool to have a handlebar holder for my Blackberry, but in the meantime it is not too hard to pull it out of my Jersey to see where I am.

Google Maps doesn't speak directions to you (maybe a future version?), but you can speak to IT, to ask for directions. (Basically you can speak things you want to search for, and it will give you directions - e.g. "Coffee!:)

Given that many of us like to have a cell phone with us anyway, for emergencies, it's a pretty useful feature.

One warning - I wouldn't use this app unless you have an unlimited data plan.

Buy one with a cadence function at least- is very important for effciency and injury prevention. Shoot for at least 90 rpm comfortably, after you get therego for 100 rpm as whnd you aren't thinkin of it it drops 10 rpm. ", I'm sure you can find one for under $100

I do "max" rpm drills for a few seconds, several reps at a time, especially at the beginning of the year till I can reach at least over 160 rpm on the bike over 200 on the ergometer/trainer as this improves my form and how well my muscles "fire" learned it from a nationa coach I worked and rode with.

If you have a iPhone/Blackberry you can mount it on the bike and there are many apps that will provide GPS mapping/timing functionality.

The trick is to find a good cycle mount that won't have your phone smashed to pieces on the first bump.

For the iPhone this seems to be the best mount:

BioLogic Bike Mount for iPhone | Dahon Folding Bike Accessories | Dahon Global

Or for general phones these work best:

Part Details
+
Part Details

These will allow you to get the functionality of a garmin, with notable exceptions:

Heart Rate
Cadence

Cheers

Graham Cruickshanks
Screenmedia Sprint GPS