bike computer went wonky

Claire Petersky wrote:
> On the way home from work, the bike computer would display seemingly
> random speeds, at random intervals. Does this simply mean it needs a
> new battery, or is there something deeper wrong with it?

Wired or wireless? Anyway, batteries are primary suspects, followed by a
slightly askew pickup unit or magnet. Did you bump the fork leg against a
wall or something?

***** Wonky

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:08:41 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On the way home from work, the bike computer would display seemingly random
>speeds, at random intervals. Does this simply mean it needs a new battery,
>or is there something deeper wrong with it?

Higher than expected?, I've had a loose magnet cause this - the
vibrating magnet registered as bonus revolutions.

On Aug 11, 9:08 pm, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On the way home from work, the bike computer would display seemingly random
> speeds, at random intervals. Does this simply mean it needs a new battery,
> or is there something deeper wrong with it?
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

If you have bladed spokes, and mounted your magnet sideways, at low
speeds the pickup will detect the magnetic field twice and show your
speed as doubled.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-magnet.html

"Aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:08:41 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On the way home from work, the bike computer would display seemingly
>>random
>>speeds, at random intervals. Does this simply mean it needs a new battery,
>>or is there something deeper wrong with it?

> Higher than expected?, I've had a loose magnet cause this - the
> vibrating magnet registered as bonus revolutions.

Mostly lower than expected. A 20 mile ride registered as about 15 miles. The
speeds would show 13, then 5, then 18, then 2 -- like that.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

> "Aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:08:41 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>On the way home from work, the bike computer would display seemingly
> >>random
> >>speeds, at random intervals. Does this simply mean it needs a new

battery,
> >>or is there something deeper wrong with it?

> > Higher than expected?, I've had a loose magnet cause this - the
> > vibrating magnet registered as bonus revolutions.

> Mostly lower than expected. A 20 mile ride registered as about 15 miles.

The
> speeds would show 13, then 5, then 18, then 2 -- like that.
>

> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Try cleaning the contacts or checking the sensors...

Bruce

> "Aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:08:41 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>On the way home from work, the bike computer would display seemingly
> >>random
> >>speeds, at random intervals. Does this simply mean it needs a new

battery,
> >>or is there something deeper wrong with it?

> > Higher than expected?, I've had a loose magnet cause this - the
> > vibrating magnet registered as bonus revolutions.

> Mostly lower than expected. A 20 mile ride registered as about 15 miles.

The
> speeds would show 13, then 5, then 18, then 2 -- like that.
>

> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

I had one that did that and I found one of the wires was broke.

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On the way home from work, the bike computer would display seemingly random
>speeds, at random intervals. Does this simply mean it needs a new battery,
>or is there something deeper wrong with it?

The manual for most computers I've had describe erratic display
("wonky") as the sign the battery is getting weak. I'd check the
magnet and pick up alignment too, though.

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 08:23:44 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:08:41 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>On the way home from work, the bike computer would display seemingly
>>>random
>>>speeds, at random intervals. Does this simply mean it needs a new battery,
>>>or is there something deeper wrong with it?

>> Higher than expected?, I've had a loose magnet cause this - the
>> vibrating magnet registered as bonus revolutions.

>Mostly lower than expected. A 20 mile ride registered as about 15 miles. The
>speeds would show 13, then 5, then 18, then 2 -- like that.

I'd suspect the contacts and the battery. Try a pencil eraser on the
contacts (assuming a wired computer). If that doesn't work, if the
computer's cheap, buy a new one. If it's more expensive computer, try
a new battery, and be prepared to buy a new computer afterwards.

Blame things are great when they work, and sheer hassle when they
don't.

Pat

Email address works as is.