Bike Computer Woes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Wayne Pein, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    My Sigma Sport BC 800 went completely blank so I assumed it needed battery replacement. I got them
    at Radio Shack. Now, the computer screen is totally lit, seemingly every lcd, and I can't get it to
    do otherwise. I've held down the clear button and the little total reset button on the back with a
    pencil for more than 5 seconds, and I've pulled and replaced the batteries a couple of times, but no
    luck. I obviously can't program it or use it.

    Is it toast or is there something I can do?

    Thanks, Wayne

    Tags:

  2. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Sounds like your unit may be fried if none of the buttons work...

    My BC800 has problems with the electrical contacts between the mount and the computer. Try cleaning
    the contacts on both units with alcohol and a cotton swab. If you happen to have some conductive
    goo, put a dab on - I've actually used heart rate monitor conductive goo, although I imagine there
    are better alternatives.

    Kyle

    "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My Sigma Sport BC 800 went completely blank so I assumed it needed battery replacement. I got them
    > at Radio Shack. Now, the computer screen is totally lit, seemingly every lcd, and I can't get it
    > to do otherwise. I've held down the clear button and the little total reset button on the back
    > with a pencil for more than 5 seconds, and I've pulled and replaced the batteries a couple of
    > times, but no luck. I obviously can't program it or use it.
    >
    > Is it toast or is there something I can do?
    >
    > Thanks, Wayne

  3. Gary German

    Gary German Guest

    "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My Sigma Sport BC 800 went completely blank so I assumed it needed battery replacement. I got them
    > at Radio Shack. Now, the computer screen is totally lit, seemingly every lcd, and I can't get it
    > to do otherwise. I've held down the clear button and the little total reset button on the back
    > with a pencil for more than 5 seconds, and I've pulled and replaced the batteries a couple of
    > times, but no luck. I obviously can't program it or use it.
    >
    > Is it toast or is there something I can do?
    >
    > Thanks, Wayne

    Not sure if you've got it or not, but the owner's manual is at:

    http://www.sigmasport.com/media/produkte/bikecomputer/bc800/x_bc800.pdf

  4. > My Sigma Sport BC 800 went completely blank so I assumed it needed battery replacement. I got them
    > at Radio Shack. Now, the computer screen is totally lit, seemingly every lcd, and I can't get it
    > to do otherwise. I've held down the clear button and the little total reset button on the back
    > with a pencil for more than 5 seconds, and I've pulled and replaced the batteries a couple of
    > times, but no luck. I obviously can't program it or use it.

    Try shorting out the battery contacts (this can sometimes be done by inserting the battery
    upside-down) for maybe a minute, and then try the setup mode again. Sometimes bike computers develop
    glitches that occur only during setup, and draining all residual electricity from the unit before
    trying to reset it can often help. I've "fixed" many Cateye computers this way.

  5. Webby

    Webby Guest

    My Sigma Sport BC 800 also has a mind of it's own. My maximum speed is shown as 141kmh......now
    thats bloody fast! The unit is new, only 500km on the clock and it's not the first 800' that I've
    had a problem with. Maybe Sigma should have a look.

    Webby

  6. Haluk Okur

    Haluk Okur Guest

    I have a Cateye Mity2 and same happens from time to time. I think the contacts of the reed relay
    sensor close if the bike shakes strong enough and that confuses the computer. Not a big deal
    though... I've seen 90+ kms several times.
    ---
    Haluk Okur - Istanbul

    "Webby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My Sigma Sport BC 800 also has a mind of it's own. My maximum speed is shown as 141kmh......now
    > thats bloody fast! The unit is new, only 500km on the clock and it's not the first 800' that I've
    > had a problem with. Maybe Sigma should have a look.
    >
    > Webby

  7. Your bike computer's innards are not unlike a modern LCD watch. A microchip, screen, and a battery.

    If something goes wrong, their's little anybody can do. The entire unit is wired by machine (and
    probably assembled by those poor, underpayed slaves mentioned in another thread.)