Bike Computer Woes

Wayne Pein

Guest
My Sigma Sport BC 800 went completely blank so I assumed it needed battery replacement. I got them
at Radio Shack. Now, the computer screen is totally lit, seemingly every lcd, and I can't get it to
do otherwise. I've held down the clear button and the little total reset button on the back with a
pencil for more than 5 seconds, and I've pulled and replaced the batteries a couple of times, but no
luck. I obviously can't program it or use it.

Is it toast or is there something I can do?

Thanks, Wayne

Sounds like your unit may be fried if none of the buttons work...

My BC800 has problems with the electrical contacts between the mount and the computer. Try cleaning
the contacts on both units with alcohol and a cotton swab. If you happen to have some conductive
goo, put a dab on - I've actually used heart rate monitor conductive goo, although I imagine there
are better alternatives.

Kyle

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My Sigma Sport BC 800 went completely blank so I assumed it needed battery replacement. I got them
> at Radio Shack. Now, the computer screen is totally lit, seemingly every lcd, and I can't get it
> to do otherwise. I've held down the clear button and the little total reset button on the back
> with a pencil for more than 5 seconds, and I've pulled and replaced the batteries a couple of
> times, but no luck. I obviously can't program it or use it.
>
> Is it toast or is there something I can do?
>
> Thanks, Wayne

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My Sigma Sport BC 800 went completely blank so I assumed it needed battery replacement. I got them
> at Radio Shack. Now, the computer screen is totally lit, seemingly every lcd, and I can't get it
> to do otherwise. I've held down the clear button and the little total reset button on the back
> with a pencil for more than 5 seconds, and I've pulled and replaced the batteries a couple of
> times, but no luck. I obviously can't program it or use it.
>
> Is it toast or is there something I can do?
>
> Thanks, Wayne

Not sure if you've got it or not, but the owner's manual is at:

http://www.sigmasport.com/media/produkte/bikecomputer/bc800/x_bc800.pdf

> My Sigma Sport BC 800 went completely blank so I assumed it needed battery replacement. I got them
> at Radio Shack. Now, the computer screen is totally lit, seemingly every lcd, and I can't get it
> to do otherwise. I've held down the clear button and the little total reset button on the back
> with a pencil for more than 5 seconds, and I've pulled and replaced the batteries a couple of
> times, but no luck. I obviously can't program it or use it.

Try shorting out the battery contacts (this can sometimes be done by inserting the battery
upside-down) for maybe a minute, and then try the setup mode again. Sometimes bike computers develop
glitches that occur only during setup, and draining all residual electricity from the unit before
trying to reset it can often help. I've "fixed" many Cateye computers this way.

My Sigma Sport BC 800 also has a mind of it's own. My maximum speed is shown as 141kmh......now
thats bloody fast! The unit is new, only 500km on the clock and it's not the first 800' that I've
had a problem with. Maybe Sigma should have a look.

Webby

I have a Cateye Mity2 and same happens from time to time. I think the contacts of the reed relay
sensor close if the bike shakes strong enough and that confuses the computer. Not a big deal
though... I've seen 90+ kms several times.
---
Haluk Okur - Istanbul

"Webby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Sigma Sport BC 800 also has a mind of it's own. My maximum speed is shown as 141kmh......now
> thats bloody fast! The unit is new, only 500km on the clock and it's not the first 800' that I've
> had a problem with. Maybe Sigma should have a look.
>
> Webby

Your bike computer's innards are not unlike a modern LCD watch. A microchip, screen, and a battery.

If something goes wrong, their's little anybody can do. The entire unit is wired by machine (and
probably assembled by those poor, underpayed slaves mentioned in another thread.)