Bike Computer

BikeCart14

Jul 4, 2012
Any suggestions on a computer with the most bang for the buck. What do you use personally?

Bang for buck? I like the Garmin Edge 500 red/black bundle package deal. Just my pick of the GPS-based class.

For racing and basic data, Cateye Strada Wireless.

Edit:

Computers are a very personal choice and I suggest you try a few of your friends' computers or play with them at a bike shop. Button sequences, programming, display size and such are as important as the functions to some folks.

I also have a Trek Incite something-or-other that works well for me.

The most important is to try it for yourself. If you can take one and check it. Only by this way you will be able to find your computer.

I should be ashamed of my bicycle computer! I should be... but I am not. I won't drag this post out with an explanation..... but of course I needed a computer to track my miles and progress. I decided that just about any one of them on the market would give me the data I needed.

Then I saw a really inexpensive Schwinn branded one at a big box store for 10 bucks. It was painted red and matches the trim paint on my bike. I thought... how fun does that look. I never thought it would just keep working and working.

I record all my data to paper and I keep really nice records. I think I may upgrade my phone [since I never leave home without the phone] and add GPS and an app that would be helpful as well.

I use a Garmin Edge 500 w/HR.

To be honest my old comps and polar monitors were nothing more than dust collectors (probably because I was more budget minded back in the day and one often gets what one pays for).

The Garmin is a substantial cut above everything else I have tried ( I certainly haven't tried 'em all, not even most).

Multiple screens are available that can easily be confuigured, and are easy to navigate to while riding.

And w/Ant+ if/when I ever appropriate a powermeter I won't need a new head. Looks cool too.

A little pricey but worth every penny... especially because I actually use this one. I never thought it would be so much fun to review post-ride data, but with the available PC app I sometimes find myself really looking forward to plugging in after the ride to review data, especially after balls out interval workouts, or super tough climbs.

The Garmin is a substantial cut above everything else I have tried ( I certainly haven't tried 'em all, not even most).

Good to hear this.

I'm thinking of jumoing up to the top-of-the-line to get the mapping function. Not cheap...and the buying of map packages as add-ons blows goat, but I got to admit that the total package is outstanding.

The Garmin 500 is a good one to consider. You get a lot for your money. Prior to using my currrent Garmin 705, I used a Polar 200 CAD, and my Garmin trumps the Polar in every way. Sure, my 705 isn't a 500, but the 500 is newer with some improvements and less expensive than mine was. Frankly, I can't see buying another bike computer that doesn't included GPS.

Another vote for Garmin.

I went for the Edge 800 package including premium HR monitor and 1:50,000 UK maps. Its was the best "value" package deal and while I initially wondered whether I would use the maps functions, its really great to be able to plot a ride through unfamiliar roads and let the Garmin lead me (there are lots of small roads around the Surrey hills here in the UK). Its not fool proof and the Garmin PC software sucks (there are other packages like the web based Bike Route Toaster that I use to initially plot the route, then import into Basecamp).

As well as all the info the Garmin tells you about the ride both during and after - which keeps interest levels high, another great feature is uploading your ride to www.strava.com then you can compare performance with previous rides, compare performance on "segments" with yourself and other riders etc.

Doc,

Does your map set have 'preferred' cycling routes listed on them? For avoiding traffic, etc.

Thanks for the tip on Bike Route Toaster.

Garmin has some good stuff. I use a Garmin 405cx GPS watch. It works fine for cycling and I can use it indoors (gasp) or on that rare ocassion that I run (double gasp). Its also nice because, I do not need to have a separate computer on each of my bikes. I have a HRM strap and you can also use ANT+ cadence sensors.

The biggest gripe is that the touch bezel can go wonky from sweat, but you can lock the touch function out. Maps are out of the question, but you can load courses via Bike Route Toaster.

I also kind of like the Sette wireless speed and cadence computer from PricePoint.

danfoz said:
I use a Garmin Edge 500 w/HR. To be honest my old comps and polar monitors were nothing more than dust collectors (probably because I was more budget minded back in the day and one often gets what one pays for). The Garmin is a substantial cut above everything else I have tried ( I certainly haven't tried 'em all, not even most). Multiple screens are available that can easily be confuigured, and are easy to navigate to while riding. And w/Ant+ if/when I ever appropriate a powermeter I won't need a new head. Looks cool too. A little pricey but worth every penny... especially because I actually use this one. I never thought it would be so much fun to review post-ride data, but with the available PC app I sometimes find myself really looking forward to plugging in after the ride to review data, especially after balls out interval workouts, or super tough climbs.
+1 on most everything except a lot of people are having problems with a few features, especially the course navigation. check the garmin forums...

.I guess it depends on what kinds of information you are looking for. Do you simply want to know how fast you're going? You can get into a decent computer for about $20.

My setup is a Kurt Kinetic Power Computer. It gives not only the speed, but it also gives the wattage that I'm producing.Knowing my power output was my main reason for getting this unit. It can also tell me my cadence. Also has a trip odometer. If I had it to do all over again, I would've bought the wireless version or a Garmin setup.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/kinetic-wired-power-computer-p-152-l-en.html

jcstilley said:
.I guess it depends on what kinds of information you are looking for. Do you simply want to know how fast you're going? You can get into a decent computer for about $20. My setup is a Kurt Kinetic Power Computer. It gives not only the speed, but it also gives the wattage that I'm producing.Knowing my power output was my main reason for getting this unit. It can also tell me my cadence. Also has a trip odometer. If I had it to do all over again, I would've bought the wireless version or a Garmin setup. http://www.kurtkinetic.com/kinetic-wired-power-computer-p-152-l-en.html  
The Kurt computer only provides power measurement on a trainer, not on the road.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] If you can take one and check it. Only by this way you will be able to find your computer.i agree. thax ..[/COLOR]
56.jpg

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Doc,

Does your map set have 'preferred' cycling routes listed on them? For avoiding traffic, etc.

Thanks for the tip on Bike Route Toaster.
Campybob, no I don't believe so, at least I've not seen anything like that, not like the car NavSats have. Since I use BRT for creating the "courses", I wouldn't use that functionality even if it did have.

Here's a guide to using BRT with the Garmin 800, this is what I do and it works pretty well, and BRT is free :) Not sure how this works if you don't have detailed maps on your Garmin, since I have the 1:50,000 UK map, every road is on there.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?p=132963

Thanks, Doc! I was busy trying to get familiar with BRT and the Edge 800's abilities and formats.

I took a 60 mile adventure ride yesterday and the north half of it was on unfamilar roads skirting the edge/burbs of a large city. I had no problem with the maps I laid my route out with...other than the requirement to stop the bike and take a read on location and course. I think the Garmin would have been a lot more 'handy' even if it offered no other advantage (which it does!...all that other data PLUS color maps).

Ok...next question: How many of you have ridden off the road into the ditch while scanning ALL the data these devices can provide? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif Will Giro come out with a heads-up display for Garmin next?

Originally Posted by BikeCart14 .

Any suggestions on a computer with the most bang for the buck. What do you use personally?
YOU need to determine the number of functions you want the computer to perform for you ...

CATEYE probably still make the majority of cycling computers ... BOTH under their own label AND others.

If the cycling computer you are considering isn't a Garmin, then you probably want to ensure that Cateye is the manufacturer (it will be indicated on the backside of the unit) UNLESS it is associated with some type of power meter.

I use a Cateye Mity 8, which is hard to beat for "bang for the buck". Cost about $25, bulletproof reliability, and the battery lasts for several seasons of riding. It stays on the bike at all times, no attention or battery-charging needed.

GPS devices are great as navigational aides, but a complex and power-intensive way to get speed and distance if that's all you need. As much as I love Garmins (I've got an Etrex, Nuvi, and 705), I rarely use the 705 on local rides. It is handy for measuring elevation gains and gradients on long climbs, but I wear a Timex watch with a barometric altimeter so have altitude/baro info handy at all times (yes, I'm a nerd).

For an occasional trip, the Nuvi (for cars) works on a bike too. With the extra bracket sold by Garmin, the Nuvi will clip onto the same stem mount as the 705. The first time I used GPS on the bike, just put the Nuvi in my jersey pocket and listened to the spoken commands to get me back to the hotel in a strange city. The big color map display is handy too, but it's not waterproof and only has a 2 hr battery life so best to turn it on only as needed.