bike computers that fit on your stem?

Vintage

Guest
Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??

I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
mount to put a computer on.

Thanks :-D

"Vintage" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
> attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??
>
> I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
> mount to put a computer on.

I'm a big fan of CatEye units, but they're designed for handlebar
mount. I get around this with zip ties as you can see at:

http://sheldonbrown.org/raleigh-international/pages/raleigh-int-nexus5.html

I just snipped off most of the plastic band that was made to go around
the handlebars and left enough to be held by the zip ties. (If you
have a 4th hand tool, it works GREAT for tightening zip ties, by the
way.)

Here's a different approach, works with threadless setups, if you
leave out the star nut: http://sheldonbrown.org/iro/584/pages/08.htm
Sorry I don't have a more recent photo, 'cause now this bike has the
wiring running up through the inside of the steerer, makes an even
neater installation.

For this, I just squeezed the band of the CatEye mount together and
plugged it into the top of the steerer. It's springy enough to pretty
much stay in place.

Sheldon "My Way" Brown
| Without deviation from the norm, |
| progress is not possible |
| -- Frank Zappa |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Vintage wrote:
> Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
> attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??

check out the latest models from cateye.

On Sep 4, 8:49 pm, "Vintage" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
> attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??
>
> I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
> mount to put a computer on.
>
> Thanks :-D

Sigmas not only work on a stem, their O-ring based mount would almost
certainly fit on your bars, too.

On Sep 4, 9:01 pm, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Vintage" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
> > attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??

> > I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
> > mount to put a computer on.

> I'm a big fan of CatEye units, but they're designed for handlebar
> mount.

Of their current lineup, the stradas and the micro wireless come with
brackets that mount to either stem or bars, and there are various stem-
mount options for some of the other current models and probably some
older ones too.

> Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
> attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??
>
> I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
> mount to put a computer on.

Of the computers we sell, both Trek and Garmin come with mounts that will
work on either a stem or handlebar.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Vintage <[email protected]> wrote:
> Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
> attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??

> I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
> mount to put a computer on.

Gamin includes two mount - both of the can be mounted either on stem
or bar.

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

Merlin Works CR-3/2.5 & Campagnolo Chorus 2007.

> > Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that

can
> > attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??
> >
> > I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the

extra
> > mount to put a computer on.

> Of the computers we sell, both Trek and Garmin come with mounts that will
> work on either a stem or handlebar.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Thanks guys thats a great start and quick too. Much appreciated.

On Sep 4, 9:49 pm, "Vintage" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
> attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??
>
> I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
> mount to put a computer on.
>
> Thanks :-D

Cateye..Strada series..attach to either handlebar(even 31.6) or the
stem..nice system.

See-http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/279

On Sep 4, 11:09 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 8:49 pm, "Vintage" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
> > attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??

> > I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
> > mount to put a computer on.

> > Thanks :-D

> Sigmas not only work on a stem, their O-ring based mount would almost
> certainly fit on your bars, too.

I've got a cheap-o Sigma. It's my fave pooter ever, even above my
venerated Cat-eyes. Simple and easy to operate, and the o-ring mount
is nice.

However, putting on a stem is no problem--but AFAIK--the computer
would end up sideways, and you'd need floundervision to read it.

On 2007-09-05, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 11:09 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Sep 4, 8:49 pm, "Vintage" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
>> > attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??

>> > I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
>> > mount to put a computer on.

>> > Thanks :-D

>> Sigmas not only work on a stem, their O-ring based mount would almost
>> certainly fit on your bars, too.

> I've got a cheap-o Sigma. It's my fave pooter ever, even above my
> venerated Cat-eyes. Simple and easy to operate, and the o-ring mount
> is nice.

The o-ring mount is a great idea. The spoke magnet attachment they use
is equally ingenious, simple and reliable. Much better than those
plastic things with screws through them.

On Sep 5, 11:58 am, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-09-05, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Sigmas not only work on a stem, their O-ring based mount would almost
> >> certainly fit on your bars, too.

> > I've got a cheap-o Sigma. It's my fave pooter ever, even above my
> > venerated Cat-eyes. Simple and easy to operate, and the o-ring mount
> > is nice.

> The o-ring mount is a great idea. The spoke magnet attachment they use
> is equally ingenious, simple and reliable. Much better than those
> plastic things with screws through them.- Hide quoted text -

The Sigma O-Ring mount will work just fine on the stem. You'll need
to use a small small screwdriver to re-orient the electricial contacts
so that the display reads correctly. The instructions for doing so
are included in the manual.

John

On Sep 5, 3:51 pm, "Vintage" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > > Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that

> can
> > > attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??

> > > I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the

> extra
> > > mount to put a computer on.

> > Of the computers we sell, both Trek and Garmin come with mounts that will
> > work on either a stem or handlebar.

> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> >www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> Thanks guys thats a great start and quick too. Much appreciated.

Polar CS HRMs can mount on the stem with zip ties. A competent
computer + HRM, but a little more $ of course.

Donga

On Sep 5, 7:00 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 11:09 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 4, 8:49 pm, "Vintage" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
> > > attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??

> > > I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
> > > mount to put a computer on.

> > > Thanks :-D

> > Sigmas not only work on a stem, their O-ring based mount would almost
> > certainly fit on your bars, too.

> I've got a cheap-o Sigma. It's my fave pooter ever, even above my
> venerated Cat-eyes. Simple and easy to operate, and the o-ring mount
> is nice.
>
> However, putting on a stem is no problem--but AFAIK--the computer
> would end up sideways, and you'd need floundervision to read it.

Then you don't K very F. :)

In 2003, they changed their mount so that the part with the bar/stem
attachment can be unscrewed from the part with the contacts, and
turned 90 degrees and reattached.

Donga wrote:

> Polar CS HRMs can mount on the stem with zip ties. A competent
> computer + HRM, but a little more $ of course.

Note: my Polar 720i failed in that setup, i.e., it showed the heart
rate erratically (search this newsgroups for the thread).
Wierd failure mode...

Vintage wrote:
> Can anyone please give me a list or recomemend any bike computers that can
> attatch to ones stem instead of handlebars please??
>
> I have kwing bars and don't want to pay the rediculous price for the extra
> mount to put a computer on.
>
> Thanks :-D

I use a German made CicloMaster computer (from Ciclosport), and the
mount can go either place. In fact, I started with it on the stem, and
have switched it to the bars, because I could focus my aging eyes on the
readout better at handlebar distance. They are not cheap, but they are
capable cycling computers. Both of mine have altitude readouts, which
is why I went to them in the first place.

I see that they have completely revamped their lineup, and I saw a
mention in Google that the top of the line models were not going to make
it to the USA in 2007.