Bike Computers Vs. Smartphone Vs. Smart Watch

BobCochran said:
I think Mr. Beanz, Volnix, Swampy1970, are all right on. I learn a lot from them. I do think that by the end of this year I'm going to buy something GPS enabled and start working with Strava.

I'm not sure how Scott Weinstock mapped out his recent trans-America bicycle ride but from his blog, I can see he is quite sophisticated.

Thanks a ton

Bob Cochran
You can use Strava with a smart phone. So much more to work with. More detailed than MMR as far as data and creating routes. B)

Reactions: BobCochran
The only thing I use is Runtastic Road bike app. It can audio annouce my heart rate zone when it changes. I like the auto pause feature. It can show you the grade too.

Be sure you got a phone with good GPS sensitivity. Use "GPS Test" app to check. If you can get GPS lock in 3D inside a building, then you got a good GPS phone.

I have a dedicated bike computer and I'm very happy with it. Generally, I don't like smart phones and watches. I will never own a smart watch so that's out of the question. My smart phone is there for me to test out some apps that I'm working on. When I'm riding, I just have an old Nokia phone on me so that I can make or receive calls. Smart phones are expensive and break easily, last thing I want to have on me if I have a mishap while cycling.

I run Strava each ride, keeping my phone in a bag I have mounted under my seat. I also use a CatEye spedometer so I can keep an eye on my distance and current speed, average speed, etc..

This combination seems to give me everything I need, and Strata allows me to look back on past rides.

I use both! But I prefer a dedicated computer because its (a) cheaper (b) less delicate (c) if it runs out of batteries and I get in an accident I am not out of luck.

I also use a combo of a Garmin Forerunner (for running and biking) and my cyclocomputer. Interesting to see how they differ... ah technology.

How is strava? my buddy swears by it.

If you use phone - them GPS is probably more-less the same accuracy. The difference is - how long it was up (GPS need some time to get full signal from the satellite to be accurate and that full signal broadcasted not very often). Also when phone runs on a battery - it sometimes may degrade GPS accuracy for sake of preserving battery (especially of its charge is low). So apps should be aware of all those little details. Another useful functionality is one that tells you your stats (speed, average speed, etc) over the earphones (this way you can keep you phone in a pocket). If you happen to have an iPhone or iPod Touch - you may check this one: https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/micycle-pro-bicycle-rides/id1000481495?mt=8&uo=6&at=1000ljW&ct=CycFrmMCPro

I must admit that I'm pretty dead-set in my ways when I get something working, I mean it might not be practical but if it works then I'm not gonna argue. This is in reference to using my phone for my needs but I've been looking at some Garmin stuff recently that looks pretty good.

totolik said:
If you use phone - them GPS is probably more-less the same accuracy. The difference is - how long it was up (GPS need some time to get full signal from the satellite to be accurate and that full signal broadcasted not very often). Also when phone runs on a battery - it sometimes may degrade GPS accuracy for sake of preserving battery (especially of its charge is low). So apps should be aware of all those little details. Another useful functionality is one that tells you your stats (speed, average speed, etc) over the earphones (this way you can keep you phone in a pocket). If you happen to have an iPhone or iPod Touch - you may check this one: https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/micycle-pro-bicycle-rides/id1000481495?mt=8&uo=6&at=1000ljW&ct=CycFrmMCPro
You can check for GPS sensitivity with an app like "GPS Test". My phone got 3D lock inside a building vs none in the other phone. If I exercise for 4 hrs, my phone still got 30% juice left. Or get a small power bank n put at the back of your saddle bag and charge when you not using it.

One thing I like about my fon app is that it will voice my stat after certain miles/km. It also voice when my heart rate zone change. And the best, it auto pause when I am not moving.

I'm not really a lover of technology when it comes to cycling, in fact, one if the reasons I go in the first place is to try and escape it, so I definitely don't want to take any extra with me.

I've always got my phone so I'm contactable if needed, but other than that I'm not bothered about a bike GPS system or anything like that.

I'm in two minds about that. I mean I like getting away from it all and stuff but I also like having the phone on and using it for my navigational needs.

It's also pretty fun to see the route I took and how far I rode when I get back. It's pretty interesting to see and gives me that little sense of accomplishment.

I'm more of an adventurer though, and the onkybtime I'll resort to usibgvtge navigation is if I really haven't got a clue where I am.

Other than that I'll just ride and see where the path takes me, I'm not interested in how many mile's I've done or how many calories I've burned off.

That sort of information is greatly interesting to me. I mean the calories I've burned is a plus but I just love looking at the distance and seeing how far I've travelled and then thinking to myself "yep, I did that."

Like you though I do like just riding and seeing where the path takes me. I've gotten into trying to travel in the one direction for as far as I can until I feel satisfied and then checking the map to see where I am. It is a bit of an adventure that I greatly enjoy.

I think most people will agree that cycling is about freedom and adventure, especially when you're just cycling for pleasure.

I can see why calorie counting, speed and distance travelled would be interesting to some, it just doesn't mean a great deal to me that's all.

I suppose it complicates things and makes it less pleasurable if you're calorie counting, as it kinda of destroys the "for the fun of it" aspect of riding where you're trying to beat a number or something. I kind of see it that way but I can also understand how people will feel when they beat their set number.

glenncz said:
I have 1500 miles in this year, 1000 last yr and 900 year before that. Real easy, i just click on my little spreadsheet and look at the tabs by year. My main course records are all there.

I'm interested in power, but to me it's totally superfluous. I think??? I can tell what my effort is just by gauging how I feel. Do I really need all these numbers flashing at me? And I ride quite a bit of hills around here, so not wearing myself out is very important. My rides ave about 65 ft ascent/mi.

I have a smart trainer on the way. So I'll be getting all that soon in an indoor environment. I read Friel's power book and am looking forward to fooling w/ all of that. What gets me is people just getting into cycling think they NEED all that ****. What they really need is to get out on the bike 4 times per week and put their time in, that's the hard part, not figuring out all these numbers. It's the miles put in that makes a difference. When you earn that badge, then you can worry about jumbling your mind with all this technology which really has nothing to do with general fittness which is the whole point.

Now saying all this. My situation is I am a lone wolf. My schedule doesn't allow me to do many group rides(none this year), which I've done and wish i could do more. And I looked at the Strava routes in my area, but I only see a couple routes that were done, not the worth the trouble to compete against. It's sparse. The good news is I live in "biking paradise" with country roads on all sides and I'm busy enough just planning my rides (again I don't need GPS, I MMR before I clip in).
Power is the only bike specific metric that's really useful. The rest are superfluous.

If you eat and drink so much per hour and ride at a power output you can sustain then rides become easier and faster because your pacing is better.

The problem is when you're fresh you'll nearly always ride too hard. Mid way through the ride that but extra with catch up with you and an the end you may be stuffed. Whether it's 3 hour ride, 7 hour race or 5 minutes of short time trial hell - power is the metric to have.

If you pace right, you stay fresher longer and typically eat and drink more earlier on too. When you get tired you forget the simple things...

I use my smartphone. It sits in my pocket and doesn't pocket dial because I have a lock on it so I don't have to worry about it skipping around.

swampy1970 said:
Power is the only bike specific metric that's really useful. The rest are superfluous.

If you eat and drink so much per hour and ride at a power output you can sustain then rides become easier and faster because your pacing is better.

The problem is when you're fresh you'll nearly always ride too hard. Mid way through the ride that but extra with catch up with you and an the end you may be stuffed. Whether it's 3 hour ride, 7 hour race or 5 minutes of short time trial hell - power is the metric to have.

If you pace right, you stay fresher longer and typically eat and drink more earlier on too. When you get tired you forget the simple things...
+1

It is nearly impossible to equate an indoor trainer workout with outdoor performance without power. Heart rate doesn't cut it.

likeascroll said:
I use my smartphone. It sits in my pocket and doesn't pocket dial because I have a lock on it so I don't have to worry about it skipping around.
If there's one thing I am thankful for, it's today's. I seriously love my smartphone. It's amazing that I can use it for navigation, listening to music and then making a call and texting someone when I need to. And to think that going back 10 years, a phone with a simple 1 - 5megapixel camera was considered top of the line and only just coming in. Think of what stuff will be like in another 10 years.