  1. Strex

    Strex Guest

    Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but most of the ones I've had in
    the past die sooner than later .. Any reccomendations? Or views?

    Tags:

  2. Gags

    Gags Guest

    There are reviews on heaps of stuff at www.mtbreview.com

    I dunno if there are computer reviews but I would say that there would be.

    Gags

  3. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Indeed, there are reviews on computers there. Although, not every product has been reviewed, so one has to try and see.

  4. mikeg

    mikeg New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    try

    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/computer/

    mike

  5. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:36:21 +1100, Strex wrote:

    > Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but most of the ones I've had in
    > the past die sooner than later .. Any reccomendations? Or views?

    How do they die?

    We've smashed off mounting brackets, etc. but never had the unit itself fail. Did you clean the
    electrodes (on the back and the mount), and replace the battery etc?

    curious, -kt

  6. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Do a search with Google or some other search engine. Even do a search on this forum, there has been HEAPS of posts on these things.

    Why are people so obsessed with the damn things? A simple one that gives you the speed, distance travelled, time taken and maybe average speed at the end of the ride is enough. If you want more then pay for more. They are all pretty much of a muchness I find.

  7. Strex

    Strex Guest

    Yep did that they eventually give up the ghost .. Cheap chinese crap!
    "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:36:21 +1100, Strex wrote:
    >
    > > Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but
    most
    > > of the ones I've had in the past die sooner than later .. Any reccomendations? Or views?
    >
    > How do they die?
    >
    > We've smashed off mounting brackets, etc. but never had the unit itself fail. Did you clean the
    > electrodes (on the back and the mount), and replace the battery etc?
    >
    > curious, -kt

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    > Strex wrote:
    > > Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but most of the ones I've
    > > had in the past die sooner than later .. Any reccomendations? Or views?

    If you want a HRM, go Polar. If you want a cycle computer, don't buy Vetta buy a Cateye Enduro 2.
    Thick cabled version of the Cateye Mity 2. Very tough computer, silver one goes with most bikes :).
    If you want cadence, I'm afraid I can't help, the Vetta C-20 was the only computer I owned that
    measured cadence and it never worked.

    hippy

  9. >> Strex wrote:
    >> > Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but most of the ones I've
    >> > had in the past die sooner than later .. Any reccomendations? Or views?

    http://www.mtbreview.com/

    One thing always worth checking is the clearance between the sensor and the magnet. I've found the
    magnet needs to almost touch the sensor to be reliable. I think Cateye say about 3mm clearance but
    if it is bumped away to 4 or 5 it won't work. So maybe they didn't die? Cleaning the contacts is
    always worth a try. Check your leads as well. You can get lead and sensor kits as well as magnets
    from Phantom Cycles and probably a lot of bike shops as well. Not much can go wrong with the
    computer its a bit like a digital watch really only needs to be dry and have a good battery.

    The Cateye Enduro is my favourite, mostly because I have 2 sets of wheels with slicks on one and
    knobbies on the other. Calorie functions are a load of BS so don't waste your dough in them. It
    takes so many variables to calculate calories accurately you'd have to have a swag of sensors all
    over the place ie. Wind speed and direction, gear ratio, weight inclination or declination (altitude
    change) blah blah blah etc etc. I do fancy the Cateye altitude one though but have heard bad
    comments on reliability.

    Good luck with your projects,

    Regards,

    Neil.

  10. Daveb

    Daveb Guest

    On the subject of the gap between magnet and sensor, I've found on my road bike I have to be very
    careful with this gap. When I stand up on the pedals for steep hills and throw the bike around a bit
    I find that the magnet starts hitting the sensor. It's taken me a while to find a gap that is small
    enough to work, but large enough to compnesate for the wheel movement. When you are talking a couple
    of mm difference it's a bit of a balancing act. Dave B.

    apologies tomuchspam wrote:

    > http://www.mtbreview.com/
    >
    > One thing always worth checking is the clearance between the sensor and the magnet. I've found the
    > magnet needs to almost touch the sensor to be reliable. I think Cateye say about 3mm clearance but
    > if it is bumped away to 4 or 5 it won't work. So maybe they didn't die? Cleaning the contacts is
    > always worth a try. Check your leads as well. You can get lead and sensor kits as well as magnets
    > from Phantom Cycles and probably a lot of bike shops as well. Not much can go wrong with the
    > computer its a bit like a digital watch really only needs to be dry and have a good battery.
    >
    > The Cateye Enduro is my favourite, mostly because I have 2 sets of wheels with slicks on one and
    > knobbies on the other. Calorie functions are a load of BS so don't waste your dough in them. It
    > takes so many variables to calculate calories accurately you'd have to have a swag of sensors all
    > over the place ie. Wind speed and direction, gear ratio, weight inclination or declination
    > (altitude change) blah blah blah etc etc. I do fancy the Cateye altitude one though but have heard
    > bad comments on reliability.
    >
    > Good luck with your projects,
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Neil.

  11. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    The cateye cordless 2 was a good piece of kit. didnt need sensors on the back and had a good range. It was also a nice small size. I have one on my road bike and am hoping to try and find one for my mtb. I dont really like the look of the cateye cordless 7. looks 'orrible

  12. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    DaveB wrote:
    > On the subject of the gap between magnet and sensor, I've found on my road bike I have to be very
    > careful with this gap. When I stand up on the pedals for steep hills and throw the bike around a
    > bit I find that the magnet starts hitting the sensor. It's taken me a while to find a gap that is
    > small enough to work, but large enough to compnesate for the wheel movement. When you are talking
    > a couple of mm difference it's a bit of a balancing act. Dave B.

    Sounds odd - maybe your front hub is loose? Can you move the front wheel side to side by
    hand at all?

    &roo

  13. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    I posted my review on the Ciclosport CM212 to this forum just a couple of day ago. Check out the review>accessories>computers. I will post more reviews on my other computers soon.

    I have used Cateye Enduro 2. Nice little computer but limited functions. I've used it in dust and rain a lot. If you want just the basics with a durable build, it's the one to go with. I find cadence a very useful feature for longer distances where a steady rhythm improves endurance. Hence my road and commuting bikes have computers with cadence. MTBing, usually involving sharp but relatively short ascents and descents, doesn't require cadence really. I don't recall any MTB computer that featured cadence.

    Shimano Flightdeck is not a bad package, but I have used it only on road. My Ciclosport CM212 is great, but with lots of wiring, it may not suit off-road. The wireless Flightdeck may be a good idea. No wires, and it also features virtual cadence.

    I bought a Sigma BC1200 for my new MTB, and it went nuts on my first serious off-road ride. Returned it yesterday, and got myself a wireless CicloMaster CM434.